Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,133,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with gender, but experience in a marriage and the finances involved. Plus, again, people always think they know, but that's not a sound approach to anything in life imo.
I would just like to add that I DO KNOW a man very newly introduced to this situation. Very intimately in fact. Their disparity is HUGE!

And I'm curious to see what he will do to pull his share. If he become a stay at home dad that is.

And with that, I apologize to OP and am out of his thread. But at least there is one woman who will marry a man who makes 4 times less than her. So, consider that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,700,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I agree but it's all relative- depends where you live etc
I agree.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would just like to add that I DO KNOW a man very newly introduced to this situation. Very intimately in fact. Their disparity is HUGE!
And I'm curious to see what he will do to pull his share. If he become a stay at home dad that is.

And with that, I apologize to OP and am out of his thread. But at least there is one woman who will marry a man who makes 4 times less than her. So, consider that.
I'm sure we all know people in both situations. Most of my girlfriends out earn their husbands (one is mid-six figure and had a stay at home husband, another a sales mgr and her man is a vid artist, my cousin is a consultant with a SAHD husband, me and my husband). Perhaps it's a matter of birds of a feather, but these days women are earning, more men are staying home with the kids, and everything in between. With this economy change is inevitable.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,816,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm sure we all know people in both situations. Most of my girlfriends out earn their husbands (one is mid-six figure and had a stay at home husband, another a sales mgr and her man is a vid artist, my cousin is a consultant with a SAHD husband, me and my husband). Perhaps it's a matter of birds of a feather, but these days women are earning, more men are staying home with the kids, and everything in between. With this economy change is inevitable.
One of my sons monthly play dates is at the house of a guy who's a sahd. It didn't make sense to pay for daycare when 2 kids was more than he earned.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,946,942 times
Someone mentioned women outearning their husbands earlier and I found it to be a kind of interesting. I remember reading about it a couple months ago at some point and found out that those marriages or relationships can be a bit unstable if the gender roles are expected to be in line with the social norm. He's something I found a couple weeks ago if anyone is interested in reading that involves the same topic:

Gender Identity and Relative Income within Households

Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
One of my sons monthly play dates is at the house of a guy who's a sahd. It didn't make sense to pay for daycare when 2 kids was more than he earned.
I can understand that (many of the people I work with just work to pay daycare), although I would figure his career (if he had one) would be in the crapper for such a decision in this economy. I do have one colleague that returned to the workforce after a 5-year break. His wife was military medical so they were always traveling and he took care of the kids. He was able to get a job at my co, but I imagine he's in the minority. We're fortunate that my husband was able to get a gig in the evenings, but he's taking a career hit with that as well.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Someone mentioned women outearning their husbands earlier and I found it to be a kind of interesting. I remember reading about it a couple months ago at some point and found out that those marriages or relationships can be a bit unstable if the gender roles are expected to be in line with the social norm. He's something I found a couple weeks ago if anyone is interested in reading that involves the same topic:

Gender Identity and Relative Income within Households
That was me. I don't think these "relationships" can be umbrellaed under income alone. Demographics likely comes into play here and that in itself plays into the success of a marriage. So, I imagine blue collar would see a greater affect than white collar, or affluent (not only wealth, but education and culture).

Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,885,358 times
What is important to me is that my significant other be self-supporting. It's not about some specific income level, it's about how they handle their affairs. One could be self-supporting at quite a low income if they were creative and hard-working. Likewise one could be a burden a high income if they were frivolous spenders or impractical.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
What is important to me is that my significant other be self-supporting. It's not about some specific income level, it's about how they handle their affairs. One could be self-supporting at quite a low income if they were creative and hard-working. Likewise one could be a burden a high income if they were frivolous spenders or impractical.
Great point - it's all in how people handle their money and finances, regardless of how much or how little they make.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 PM

52,385 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I agree. Trying to throw one dollar figure at it is tough as everyone has differing situations, things like location of where you live, the type of lifestyle you want, having kids, and if you have kids, are they in private school...etc etc etc...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships