Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times

Advertisements

Except that most of the people who talk about "their lack of success with women", have never had an LTR or in some cases, even a date. The groaners and moaners usually have,on the other hand. And of this group, there are maybe somewhat less than 50% that seem to be open to looking into the part they played in the breakup of the relationship. The rest are angry and blame the woman 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:15 PM

688 posts, read 897,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
A response to another thread got me thinking.

Overwhelmingly, the young men who post on CD about their lack of success with women, seem to put far more effort into complaining about the women than they do in wooing them.

Poster after poster wants a girlfriend back and pines after her, but they rarely (if ever) seem to give her much thought or attention when she's in front of them...only when she's gone.

Guys, if you put as much emotion into the relationship as you do into its aftermath, you probably wouldn't be split up in the first place.

Also, if you put as much effort into meeting someone as you do into complaining about those you want to meet and don't, you would probably be way more popular and busy on a Saturday night.
In all honesty, how could you know the amount of effort they've put forth into seeking a meaningful relationship by random complaint posts?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,832 times
Quote:

Overwhelmingly, the young men who post on CD about their lack of success with women, seem to put far more effort into complaining about the women than they do in wooing them.

Poster after poster wants a girlfriend back and pines after her, but they rarely (if ever) seem to give her much thought or attention when she's in front of them...only when she's gone.

Guys, if you put as much emotion into the relationship as you do into its aftermath, you probably wouldn't be split up in the first place.

Also, if you put as much effort into meeting someone as you do into complaining about those you want to meet and don't, you would probably be way more popular and busy on a Saturday night.
You are dead-on about how the type of posts that are on this forum tend to be in the negative, especially with guys complaining about women (I swear, if I see one more short guy thread...) Unfortunately, I don't think a thread like this is going to do much to help somebody due to a couple reasons:

People LOVE to use the Internet to rant, be it through discussion forums, business review sites or analytical blogs. As an example, think about the ratio of positive restaurant visits to negative ones. Chances are, you probably have a lot more average to good restaurant experiences than poor ones. If you are on a site like Yelp, what would you be more likely to do: review a restaurant where you had an average to good experience, or "review" one where you had a very poor experience? Most Internet reviews either skew toward being extremely positive or extremely negative, with people leaning towards the latter because the review also gives them a chance to rant. I think it's human nature to be more apt to criticize than praise businesses, movies, music and experiences.

Confession time: I am a big movie buff, and I like reading reviews on films past and present. However, I frequent a website where there are a bunch of video producers who intentionally review terrible movies in a comedic light. I LOVE watching those reviews, because I just find it funny how they react to cringeworthy special effects, plot and dialogue. Again, I think it's simply human nature.

On that note, I think when a lot of guys come here venting about not being able to get dates, or women being too picky or mean or whatever, I don't think they are actively looking for advice, but rather simply want to vent. I find venting to be healthy, but it shouldn't be disguised as looking for advice, and it CERTAINLY shouldn't be something that is done repeatedly. We, after all are humans and not robots. But I believe in finding a little bit more constructive ways to vent. Had a bad day? Go have a tough workout.

Unfortunately, while a thread like this is spot on on many of the posts this board gets, I don't think it's going to resonate with the people who write those self-pitying posts. I find a bit of sympathy in those because I used to be like that, and it's a very dark road that's tough to break out of. But at the end of it, it's up to YOU to break out of that darkness. It's hard, very hard, but it's possible.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:

And you know this how? Have you actually witnessed what goes on behind closed doors? You are greatly exaggerating with the "poster after poster." I just took a look at the first 50 topics on this board and I found one started by a male and two that were started by women in regards to that. The subject does come up sometimes and if anyone knows my posts the one thing I cannot stand is begging.
Breakups happen. Men (and women) need to let it go and move on. Life is too short to dwell and be bitter. I do not know why men lower themselves to beg. Obviously it's a lack of self-esteem on their part.

Quote:
Nonsense. In many cases it is impossible to please your partner no matter what you do. I know this from first hand experience. Some people change and often it's for the worst. Don't assume it's always due to a lack of effort from the man as it is not always their fault.

Quote:
More nonsense. Some people lack the skill or are too shy to be popular with women.
Not a whole lot of complaining from men on who they want to meet posted on this board either.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
You are dead-on about how the type of posts that are on this forum tend to be in the negative, especially with guys complaining about women (I swear, if I see one more short guy thread...) Unfortunately, I don't think a thread like this is going to do much to help somebody due to a couple reasons:

People LOVE to use the Internet to rant, be it through discussion forums, business review sites or analytical blogs. As an example, think about the ratio of positive restaurant visits to negative ones. Chances are, you probably have a lot more average to good restaurant experiences than poor ones. If you are on a site like Yelp, what would you be more likely to do: review a restaurant where you had an average to good experience, or "review" one where you had a very poor experience? Most Internet reviews either skew toward being extremely positive or extremely negative, with people leaning towards the latter because the review also gives them a chance to rant. I think it's human nature to be more apt to criticize than praise businesses, movies, music and experiences.

Confession time: I am a big movie buff, and I like reading reviews on films past and present. However, I frequent a website where there are a bunch of video producers who intentionally review terrible movies in a comedic light. I LOVE watching those reviews, because I just find it funny how they react to cringeworthy special effects, plot and dialogue. Again, I think it's simply human nature.

On that note, I think when a lot of guys come here venting about not being able to get dates, or women being too picky or mean or whatever, I don't think they are actively looking for advice, but rather simply want to vent. I find venting to be healthy, but it shouldn't be disguised as looking for advice, and it CERTAINLY shouldn't be something that is done repeatedly. We, after all are humans and not robots. But I believe in finding a little bit more constructive ways to vent. Had a bad day? Go have a tough workout.

Unfortunately, while a thread like this is spot on on many of the posts this board gets, I don't think it's going to resonate with the people who write those self-pitying posts. I find a bit of sympathy in those because I used to be like that, and it's a very dark road that's tough to break out of. But at the end of it, it's up to YOU to break out of that darkness. It's hard, very hard, but it's possible.
There have been a grand total of TWO recently.

The OP is far from being "dead-on."

Old 06-27-2013, 01:48 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Guys lacking strong father figures tend to be losers with the ladies... It's a sad phenomena going on in America today. Sons being raised by mothers. Sons need fathers, daughters need both parents.
Then the men need to man up and stick around and act like MEN.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I looked for a way to disagree... I couldn't find one......

Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
This thread and the OP is a JOKE since there are women posters who do the same lol
Double standard, remember?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,446,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Then the men need to man up and stick around and act like MEN.
And women need to take control of their body and always insist on/use birth control properly, and not date losers if they cant accept the consequences.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
It still doesn't make the OP untrue. If you want to discuss women who do this, go ahead.
In this thread: Irony. Women complaining about men complaining. If WestPhilly makes a thread complaining about women, women will go on that thread and blast him for complaining. The cycle never ends. Newsflash: Both genders complain. Besides, there would be no reason to have a relationships forum if people didn't complain about something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships