Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
This is like the Bar. People come to cry in their beer and vent. They won't typically take advice because they really already have their minds made up. Their real goal is to share their story whether they realize it or not.
This is why I always try to have an alchoholic beverage in hand when I come to the forums to collect my tears. That way I can multitask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
This is like the sound bite Bar. People come to cry in their beer and vent for a quick moment. They won't typically take advice because they really already have their minds made up. Their real goal is to just share their story and vent whether they realize it or not.

Misery loves company.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
This is why I always try to have an alchoholic beverage in hand when I come to the forums to collect my tears. That way I can multitask.
Aw that's kind of poetic.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM

207 posts, read 432,658 times
Most of these guys are looking for attention who fall into that category. They will claim to be unattractive so females will inflate their ego more and encouraging these guys only makes it worse. They always claim have some major shortcoming they tend to focus on, like small endowment, being too short, too fat, too skinny, etc. They always focus on the physical aspect and only what they can change physically so this female will be drawn to them, but from what I've observed it's rarely about the physical shortcoming. They never want to do any self improvement or any actual work to improve their social skills, they just want to be told they're attractive physically. I see this constantly on here and other online forums like it. It's so predictable.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM

217 posts, read 307,655 times
I'm the one here who probably has the worst case of sitting back and complaining rather than taking action. As I mentioned, my entire resume with the opposite sex consists of a few half-*****ed attempts at pursuing girls and a couple times where I was blacked-out drunk and girls wanted to make out with me.

But here's the thing: I like to survey a scene before I jump into it. I'm somewhat cautious in that I don't take up an endeavor unless I'm fairly sure I'll succeed in it. I've been surveying the dating scene to see if it's worth it for me. I've read the book Why Women Have Sex (Why Women Have Sex: Women Reveal the Truth About Their Sex Lives, from Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between): Cindy M. Meston, David M. Buss: Amazon.com: Books), I've eavesdropped on some female forums on the internet, I've observed social dynamics in everyday life, I've tried to glean some information off this forum.

So far, I'm pessimistic about how I'll fare in the dating world. I think that being attractive is just a thing that a guy naturally has or not. I have seen some guys go from being horrible with girls to being good with them, but it's always for one of the following reasons:

(1) He became rich.
(2) He wasn't good looking, but then became good looking. For example, a guy who had some handsome potential that came out when he finally lost weight, or a guy who developed into a way more handsome dude when he hit a certain age.
(3) He was good looking, but had irrational confidence issues or was so shy that he never actually tried with women. Once he finally started trying, it was easy for him.

I really haven't seen examples of average dudes becoming womanizers by just learning to be "confident" or whatever.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
I'm the one here who probably has the worst case of sitting back and complaining rather than taking action. As I mentioned, my entire resume with the opposite sex consists of a few half-*****ed attempts at pursuing girls and a couple times where I was blacked-out drunk and girls wanted to make out with me.

But here's the thing: I like to survey a scene before I jump into it. I'm somewhat cautious in that I don't take up an endeavor unless I'm fairly sure I'll succeed in it. I've been surveying the dating scene to see if it's worth it for me. I've read the book Why Women Have Sex (Why Women Have Sex: Women Reveal the Truth About Their Sex Lives, from Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between): Cindy M. Meston, David M. Buss: Amazon.com: Books), I've eavesdropped on some female forums on the internet, I've observed social dynamics in everyday life, I've tried to glean some information off this forum. So far, I'm pessimistic about how I'll fare in the dating world.
Most people have to "fail" before achieving success in the dating world. I put "fail" in quotations because relationships that I saw as failures have helped me along the way. I used to be bad at dating and made a lot of mistakes, but I've learned from them and my two year anniversary with my girlfriend is two days away.

I understand being apprehensive, but at least trying has to be better than what you're doing now.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,446,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
A response to another thread got me thinking.

Overwhelmingly, the young men who post on CD about their lack of success with women, seem to put far more effort into complaining about the women than they do in wooing them.

Poster after poster wants a girlfriend back and pines after her, but they rarely (if ever) seem to give her much thought or attention when she's in front of them...only when she's gone.

Guys, if you put as much emotion into the relationship as you do into its aftermath, you probably wouldn't be split up in the first place.

Also, if you put as much effort into meeting someone as you do into complaining about those you want to meet and don't, you would probably be way more popular and busy on a Saturday night.
Where are you getting that from?

It's hard to summarize the actions of two people over the course of 24 hours, in a small text window. Add YEARS to that.

I think it's unfair and a huge assumption to make that statement.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
"There's A Tear In My Beer", Cover - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,460,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I brought the popcorn. Anybody want icetea lemonaide?
ice tea sounds good. is the popcorn buttered?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,460,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Or if you would just speak up when you find something that makes you unhappy, then it's possible that issues could be resolved. If Person A started a discussion, Person B would be able to explain why something is done the way it is. Or Person B could get a sense of what Person A is saying, and be willing to adjust.

Imagine that!

Oh, and let's not forget that relationships are not constantly exciting and blissful. Like everything else in life there are highs and lows. In relationships, it's called The 7-Year Itch. BUT, most people don't hang around to wait for the next level of caring and committment. They just bail when they aren't getting what they want - and without asking.
you wouldn't be suggesting people communicate? I think that is a lost art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships