Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:19 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGuy1 View Post
Ive been working in this office since the beginning of the year, and there is a woman in the other dept. We don't talk much, just explain pleasantries. She's 40ish and engaged, I am 24.

Yesterday, she walked by my office and I'm pretty sure she said "Hi honey" and today she stopped by and asked "so what's MidwestGuy doing this weekend?"

What gives?
I wish I had a dollar for every time a lady has called me honey! But here is the secret meaning behind what she asked: she was being nice, making small talk. It's what people used to do before they kept their damn noses stuck in cell phones and iPads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
This is a fairly common conversation at my workplace. It's just what people do to show and interest and be personal. I spent my twenties in an office environment being called honey and kiddo by much older coworkers. Unless she's following it up with "So, my fiance's out of town...wanna come over for dinner?" I wouldn't read anything into it.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Ive been working in this office since the beginning of the year, and there is a woman in the other dept. We don't talk much, just explain pleasantries. She's 40ish and engaged, I am 24.

Yesterday, she walked by my office and I'm pretty sure she said "Hi honey" and today she stopped by and asked "so what's MidwestGuy doing this weekend?"

What gives?
If you were a chick, you could say you were going out with your girlfriend for dinner and dancing.

Be bold. Tell her you're going out with your boyfriend for dinner and dancing.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:

What gives?
I had two Mercury Cougars - one I had to get rid of and the other blew a head gasket not worth repairing.

So I say stay away from this spoken for Cougar and get you own unattached woman if you really need one.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Quote:

im banging that cougar, i dont need a gf.
I'd just like to repeat that sentence in all its offensiveness, in the hope something may dimly connect in your brain neurons.

Why, oh why, would you post on here asking for "advice", when you have an attitude toward women like that?

The only advice I have is "get over yourself". The checkout chick is not signifying admiration when she smiles and says "have a nice day". The barrista is not offering a sexual encounter when she gives you an extra cookie with your coffee - it's because you're a regular. The older engaged woman in your office is not trying to seduce you simply by pretending to be interested in your weekend.

It's called "small talk" and most articulate adults who work together indulge in it. It's called "being polite", a foreign concept to you I'm sure but one that exists regardless in polite society.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
The OP must live in a bubble or not get out much.

TONS of women call men "honey", "sweetie", etc. Usually when the woman is around the same age or older than the man. They're just words. It doesn't mean anything substantial; she's just being friendly and making small talk to pass the time and get to know you a bit better. Asking someone what their weekend plans are is a very common conversation starter and can lead to an nice fun chat if the plans are interesting, unique or strike some sort of common ground. Some of my coworkers (male and female) ask me what my weekend plans are almost every Friday. Most people are naturally curious, and it's often the case that the most "interesting" thing in the room is the other person(s).

Women who call men (who aren't their SO) "sweetie", etc. likely grew up in an environment or culture where that style of talk is normal.

I think words are a poor indicator of whether a woman is actually interested in you intimately, unless she is very blunt and direct.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
She wanted you to come over and mow her yard.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
She wanted you to come over and mow her yard.
and trim her bush.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:

What gives?
Sweetie, it's like this; you didn't get canned within the first 90 days so she figures it's time to stop by and chat.
She probably reasds your posts on CD.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
The OP does sound like Brahmabull......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships