Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
OK eliminate the snack question but other than that those are the things we should be discussing until the first date
Yeah, not so much. I can't imagine discussing most of those things. And there are no "shoulds." I really don't think you should be dating right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Back then I controlled the conversation more which didn't allow for these types of questions
Yes.

You have told us before that you used to be even more of a controlling a$$hat, and abusive besides.

Sometimes you are proud of how much you have improved. But not today?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And there are no "shoulds." I really don't think you should be dating right now.
::laughing::

And I agree with both of these inconsistent statements .

Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing::

And I agree with both of these inconsistent statements .
Hahahaha!

Perhaps I should have said - There are no "shoulds" for what to talk about during a date. And if you can't grasp that - you "should" not be dating!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Aye. It makes for great story-telling and conversation.

I think people who get irritated or aggravated by light conversation like that are probably ashamed of their status with it. They get chapped if someone asks them about travel because they're embarrassed that they haven't done much of it or don't have the money, and they get chapped about being asked about their occupation because they're ashamed of what they do, don't like it and feel stuck, or feel unsuccessful at it--all of which our illustrious OP has spoken about regarding himself in other threads.
Yes. It's fun to talk about your trips, or even what happened on the flight or on the road on the way there. It's harmless. You can talk about going camping, or visiting relatives, or staying in a hotel somewhere and going sightseeing, etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The "Maths" thing threw me for a loop, too.

If you love the US so much - why are you putting on British airs? I just don't get it... We don't say that over here - and even if someone has been to England - they don't necessarily change their vernacular afterwards.
I'm not putting on British airs.

I was educated outside the US for K12. I have had to pick out the differences in not only spelling but also different phrases used "sidewalk vs pavement" "trash can vs dust bin" "wind shield vs windscreen" when I came back to the US for college.

Now and then, something slips back in but I'd say it's rare.

I have lived elsewhere so I have a perspective of the US that I can appreciate I guess.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
OK eliminate the snack question but other than that those are the things we should be discussing until the first date
If someone asked me about my shopping preferences (I still don't know what that means) at a coffee date, I might get up and leave. The usual thing is: work, hobbies, where you grew up, education. What kind of films/music/books you like. Leisure activities. Family/siblings/whatever. That's enough to keep two people busy for a 1st date.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I'm not putting on British airs.

I was educated outside the US for K12. I have had to pick out the differences in not only spelling but also different phrases used "sidewalk vs pavement" "trash can vs dust bin" "wind shield vs windscreen" when I came back to the US for college.

Now and then, something slips back in but I'd say it's rare.

I have lived elsewhere so I have a perspective of the US that I can appreciate I guess.
That's totally fine - but I don't see a reason to put down everyone else. First you are putting down every other country because ours is so much better - and then you are putting down all the people here because we don't know everything about other countries. Like I said, just because we've visited some place - that doesn't mean we are going to know how racist people are, that they say "maths" instead of "math", what their politically leanings are, etc. I went to college in Michigan. They say "pop" there instead of "soda" like I grew up saying in California. I don't make people feel stupid for not knowing that they say "pop" in Michigan even if they have been there before. I've been to all 50 states - I don't know the vernacular of every state.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
If anyone asked me my style of dress, I'd think he was a pervert. "What are you wearing, huh-huh, huh-huh?"

Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yes.

You have told us before that you used to be even more of a controlling a$$hat, and abusive besides.

Sometimes you are proud of how much you have improved. But not today?

Yes I am, I have matured and don't make women cry anymore when they make me mad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships