Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Your response? Yes, it was. Wasted energy going off on a political rant because I don't read them, especially when they begin with ridiculous, arrogant sentences like that one. My point is that not everyone feels that the U.S. is the best place in the world to live. I suggest you accept that and get over it.
But at the same time, there are international versions of rednecks and wingnuts everywhere. There's been a lot of news out of France, for example, about homophobic protests and anti-Muslim prejudice, so even moving to Paris doesn't put anyone in a progressive cocoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Your list is good for only first conversation and it sounds like the dating topics of high school children.

Common topics to my knowledge people my age group delve into when getting to know somebody include last relationship, if they were married, so what happened with that, trauma suffered in the marriage, family.

You must know some nosy people. I would never get into all of that with someone I am communicating with on a dating site, or even within the first few dates. Personal information of that nature comes with trust, and trust is earned. Even then, I do not feel a current SO is entitled to the details of past relationships and marriages. There is such a thing as TMI and inappropriate conversation with someone you barely know, as well as a need-to-know basis within an established relationship.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
If they die happy in their sleep, they've just been subsidizing a bunch of people they do not know. If they do contract something, they still haven't managed to "recover" their sunk costs.
Yes. It's similar to having fire insurance on your home. You will probably never have a fire, and if you do, the repairs will probably be less than you pay in a lifetime of insurance. What you are paying for is security, the knowledge that a chance occurrence will not leave you with no house and still having to pay the mortgage for the next 20 years.

I think a lot of the reason this was popular earlier in Europe is that societies there are more homogenous. People see the 'subsidies' as going to their relatives, because almost everyone in the country is related to them by blood.

It only became popular here when people realised what they were missing out on .

Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I thought you were proud of the changes you had made in yourself since then?

Back then I controlled the conversation more which didn't allow for these types of questions

"Is there anything else u would like to know about me?

"When is your birthday?"

"Do you like to travel?"

Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah - I think we probably have different ideas about... well... everything. But that's okay!

Do you like to travel or did you have to travel for business or something like that? Just curious.
I love to travel that's why I travel a lot. I love the adventure and I like the exploration bit. I travel alone (even when I was married) because I've never had a problem meeting people on my trips, be they locals or fellow travelers. I do not spend on things like labeled purses, designer clothes like maybe a higher number of women on the coasts might. So travel is my only indulgence.

It is through travel that I honed my understanding of different cultures, the sociological behavior of people as well as my understanding of political systems.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It was a necessary knee-jerk response from anybody ... with a certain IQ.
Yep, you're right about that.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Uhh may I know how anything on this list is different from the travel question?

travel can be included and be asked like..."Have u been anywhere this summer or planning to go anywhere?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But at the same time, there are international versions of rednecks and wingnuts everywhere. There's been a lot of news out of France, for example, about homophobic protests and anti-Muslim prejudice, so even moving to Paris doesn't put anyone in a progressive cocoon.
People in Europe are much more racist than Americans.

See, if she traveled, she'd have known that.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
People in Europe are much more racist than Americans.

See, if she traveled, she'd have known that.
Been to France, England, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Germany. Friends in Scotland, England, and France. Next silly statement?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think a lot of the reason this was popular earlier in Europe is that societies there are more homogenous. People see the 'subsidies' as going to their relatives, because almost everyone in the country is related to them by blood.

It only became popular here when people realised what they were missing out on .

The reason it's not big in the US is because the US is a capitalist country.

It's nothing to do with bloodlines. But to do with political systems preferred. It extends to the number of working hours a week (max 35 hours a week for France, for eg) and number of vacation days a year. They have insanely long vacation days. Very long maternity leave too. But those countries are much older. So they took a long time before they got that way. They were very industrious in the 1700s, even went round colonizing everybody else, setting up foreign empires, exploiting the land of others. Back then, long time ago there was a time they used to very ambitious like the US and Asia. So they got that way because of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships