Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times

Advertisements

It's also a question that can lead to discussion about places you've been & places you'd like to go. I love hearing about everyone's ultimate fantasy vacation (trip you dream about but prob can't afford)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
This means that you do not have a wide exposure to different cultures and ways of life
Americans don't need to visit other cultures. Those other cultures visit us.

Little Ethiopia, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little Armenia, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little_Saigon_Los Angeles/Orange County

Little_Tehran_Los Angeles

Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
"Do you like to travel?"

(So that's what they call it now a days)

"Oh yeah!! I will travel two or three times a day."

"In the kitchen, bedroom, car. Oh yeah!!"

"Grrrr!"

Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Are there any questions one might ask as a general, getting-to-know-you, point of interest that you DON'T think is weird?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Yep...L.A. is pretty much IDENTICAL to Armenia, Vietnam, Iran, and Ethiopia. And because my rural Illinois hometown had a lot of Hispanic farm workers, and they opened a grocery store and taqueria, I figure I TOTALLY have a good grip on the culture of Mexico.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
My husband doesn't like to travel and he has always been open about that, which I appreciate, since travel is important to me! He would much rather be home. He is okay with weekend road trips, but he hates flying and feels uncomfortable being out of his element for very long. But it has worked out for us. For trips to see my family (1500 miles away) I sometimes just go by myself. And I have other family members and friends I can travel with. But he has gone with me on long trips, too. Compromise, right?

I would encourage anyone to be honest about their preferences. I would be hurt and upset if DH had told me he enjoyed traveling, and then later on it became obvious that he did not.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:05 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep...L.A. is pretty much IDENTICAL to Armenia, Vietnam, Iran, and Ethiopia. And because my rural Illinois hometown had a lot of Hispanic farm workers, and they opened a grocery store and taqueria, I figure I TOTALLY have a good grip on the culture of Mexico.

It's identical enough.

I'll take the Lamajun or Pho in LA and leave have the hole in the ground rest room utilizing a phone book or stack of newspapers on a box and save $3000.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It's a well known fact that most Americans never travel beyond their own continent.

This means that you do not have a wide exposure to different cultures and ways of life, which in turn means that you have missed out on an enormous life lesson.

Travel does include discomfort, sure, lines, tickets, sometimes crowds and nasty customs officers - but it also broadens the mind and spirit like nothing else can.

Those that stay at home remain unchallenged, uneducated, and uninspired about life for the rest of the world's population, which in turn means they can be judged as unchallenged, uneducated, and uninspired themselves.
That's pretty judgmental.

But your post highlights something for the OP to be aware of when the travel question pops up.

As well as setting a fine example for circular logic.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Yes I think it will often be yes but not always and especially not if the person being asked travels for a living with their job. But again, theyre sometimes just asking that to make conversation.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No I wasn't stressed just that so many women ask that question and I thought that everyone loves to travel if they have the TIME and MONEY
I know I give you a hard time sometimes, but this response is genuine:

I think one of your problems is that you tend to look at they entire world through your own eyes, your own filters. I sincerely know it is very difficult to let one's own biases take a rest (for me too!), but try to realize that every opinion, every thought, and every perception you have is clouded by your own values and personal experience. This is true of everyone, not just you.

As it applies to almost ALL of your threads, and "stresses", if you can just kick back and try to forget your own influences, the world can really be amazing. It took me a lot of time to figure this out, and I still work on it, but most things are pretty fluid, and more importantly, people have reasons for why they do what they do. I believe the overwhelming majority have good intent, or at least they DO NOT have bad intent.

Like the thread about "did you always want to do that career" (or whatever), it's just a question. Try to forget the hidden subtext, answer it truthfully, and let the cards fall where they may.

Most importantly, no matter what the reasons, or no matter weather you give the right answer or wrong, just be honest. If you are honest, and it leads to something good, it's genuine. If it's a dealbreaker, or otherwise runs someone off, then in the long run it's for the best. Might sting in the present, but overall it wasn't meant to be.

It takes a lot of work, but just try it.

Most sincerely,

Myghost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships