Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You forgot to mention that more women are earning degrees at a higher rate than men... so obviously some of these women would be interested in current events....
One would hope!

The number of women running for public office is higher than ever. So it stands to reason that those women are not just watching TMZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,242,493 times
Ive seen relationships work just fine when one partner is intellectually umm....superior?.....than the other partner. The superior one just thinks the other is cute and it doesnt bother them at all. Then I have seen relationships where the partners are intellectually very connected, and those work very well. So it boils down to, it is what your girlfriend is. If it bothers you, it is probably something you will need to work on if you want a future with her. Some men don't mind being married to a bimbo...some do. I sometimes think the intellectual connection is more important for a successful relationship than the physical attraction.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Everyone needs a hobby. She has hers, you have yours.
Very True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
So, posting on CD is like watching Jersey shores or the Kardasians. Should I just shoot myself now
Oh gosh! This place is better. Its more entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No hell no. Honey Boo Boo is a no no.

I watch Bill O'reilly the O'reilly factor, you know how much of a HUGE turn off he is to a LOT OF People.
ITA on Honey Boo Boo. I watched maybe 5 minutes and I swear I felt my IQ going down. I would rather watch Bill O'Reilly over that any day!

To tell you the truth, I like to read celebrity gossip for two reason. 1) When I'm having a bad day, reading the crap they are going through makes me feel better. 2) My husband and I love watching movies and we are always talking about different actors/actresses. Actually my celebrity gossip stuff has come in handy. He was shocked when I told him Daniel Craig is married to Rachel Weisz. haha! I also enjoy reading the news and listening to what is going on too.
Basically what it comes down to is its something that she enjoys. Its about making sure you include things that you both enjoy together in your relationship. Maybe use the facts she knows about celebrities (what movies they are in, political views etc) for both of you to have a conversation with.
If you feel it undermines your intelligence and she were to scale back the discussions about what she enjoys, what else would you pick on next that aggravates you that you want her to fix? In a way its almost asking her to change some of what she is....and what you fell for to begin with.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Ive seen relationships work just fine when one partner is intellectually umm....superior?.....than the other partner. The superior one just thinks the other is cute and it doesnt bother them at all. Then I have seen relationships where the partners are intellectually very connected, and those work very well. So it boils down to, it is what your girlfriend is. If it bothers you, it is probably something you will need to work on if you want a future with her. Some men don't mind being married to a bimbo...some do. I sometimes think the intellectual connection is more important for a successful relationship than the physical attraction.

There are plenty of successful, smart men who aren't interested in a smart partner, and just want some eye-candy. But there are also those who want someone who's an equal.
Some guys who marry a bimbo don't expect to carry an intelligent discussion, they do it somewhere else - those men marry their bimbo exclusively for a physical pleasure - they prefer just a pretty girl with a nice body who will NOT challenge them intellectually.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM

43 posts, read 51,166 times
Casey,

it really isn't any different from what YOU are doing. You said your interest lies in history and politics, but it seems that hers is obviously the celebrity thing. Same thing your doing, just a different topic. Trivia and facts can be applied to EVERYTHING.

I do understand how it could be irritating thou. I have zero interest in sports. The last thing I want to know or hear are the football scores from the weekend or A-Rod's batting average, overall stats, size of his underwear, or what he ate last night for dinner! Who gives a shat?!?! Monday mornings at work consist of me throwing 5 guys out of my office for doing this very thing. I get it.

But you need to chill. If this is the biggest problem in your relationship, you're lucky, and you have zero to complain about. Find a way to cope with it when your out and she starts talking about the celebs. Change the subject, check your email, talk to someone else, etc. but find a way to not let it get under you skin.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 PM

43 posts, read 51,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I watch Bill O'reilly the O'reilly factor, you know how much of a HUGE turn off he is to a LOT OF People.

LILY!

Now THAT would make ME nuts!!! (Actually, my husband does too and I lose my mind)

Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
The part that is bizarre to me is that he would spend 18 months with a woman whose intellect he does not respect.

I'm sticking with the conspiracy theorist theory, though. It was his use of the word 'research'.

I bet she is out right now, talking to her friends about how he goes on and on about chemtrails and psychic archaelogoly but doesn't know that Michael Jackson died years ago.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 PM

52,300 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
The part that is bizarre to me is that he would spend 18 months with a woman whose intellect he does not respect.

I'm sticking with the conspiracy theorist theory, though. It was his use of the word 'research'.

I bet she is out right now, talking to her friends about how he goes on and on about chemtrails and psychic archaelogoly but doesn't know that Michael Jackson died years ago.
LOL... you are a strange one........ nothing even remotely indicates conspiracy theory... even a couple of posters questioned it......

Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Incompatible.

Move on.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTarantulas View Post
You are not wrong to be turned off by this. People have habits some view as annoying, and that's life. As for undermining your intelligence, I'd say that's a little bit of a stretch.
Not if she scoffs his attempts to educate himself.

Her type (People Magazine celeb chasing ignoramus) turns me off instantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships