Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL... you are a strange one........ nothing even remotely indicates conspiracy theory... even a couple of posters questioned it......
Well, get the OP back here to clarify.

The whole bit about 'how the world works and what really causes taxes to go up'... it could mean he has an actual interest in economics, but someone who did would be more likely to choose a gf based in part on intellectual compatibility in the first place.

Conspiracy theorists, OTOH, generally have to take what they can get -- and they avoid spending time with anyone they can't play the role of Smartest Guy with. They seek out people dumb enough to think their pseudoknowledge is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I've been with my girlfriend for 18 months an and am in a very stable relationship. She's a little close-minded though when it comes to certain things. I don't think she's well aware of what things are going on in the world right now, how the economy works, who are the major influential people in the world, what causes our taxes to go up, etc. She's even made fun of me a few times for spending my spare time looking up random articles on anything to broaden my knowledge - european history, insects, animals, astronomy, religious stuff, you name it....and suggesting that she should try it some time because it's fun to expand your mind on stuff. Most of this stuff I won't use in the real world, but I mainly keep it to myself and only bring it up if the topic of conversation with a person warrants it. However I think this is common in relationships - there will always be that one partner that doesn't really care about that kind of stuff and it's hard to get a match on that type of level. I get that.

But what really turns me off at the end of the day is that she knows waaaaay too much about celebrities, who they're married or divorced to, what movies they're in, what their political beliefs are, whether they're gay or straight, etc. I feel like she's the type of person to parrot what her celebrity idols say. If we're around other people, I feel pretty embarassed if she talks about the personal lives of random celebrities. I also feel it undermines my intelligence a bit.

I don't know how to tell her this bothers me because to a normal person, I don't think it would. Normally I try to just change the topic of conversation, but I'm not sure.

Sort of a weird topic I know - reminds me of a typical Seinfeld episode.
A few years ago I would have wrote her off as just another alienated follower of popular culture and her apolitical attitude would have been a deal breaker.

But you have a unique opportunity here. Celebrities (and particularly their corporate handlers) and political intrigue go hand in hand. Maybe you two would find it mutually pleasurable to explore the scope of which the ideologies and tour locations of celebrities reflect or influence the political ideologies of the populace, and how certain governments and organizations in society use this to their advantage as either an offensive or defensive weapon to gain or sustain power.

Many celebrities have a public persona of a junkie only interested in superficial pursuits, but are actually much smarter and deeper behind the scenes, such as Ke$ha. Ke$ha and her handlers are involved in an array of political pursuits, ideological influences pushed to be adopted by a world audience, etc. etc.

I'll leave it to you two to find out how deep their activities permeate your activities and greater community on a local, national, and international stage. You study history and politics. Throughout the course of civilization celebrities have employed pathos rhetoric and provided an image for people to try to emulate in accordance with the ruling ideology of the day. I surmise you two could learn a lot through an inter-cultural dialogue and bridge the gap somehow if both parties are interested in mental growth.

Most people who hate celebrities (not saying anyone in this thread) are hypocritical because they are aiming for the same thing, they accept society's cultural goals and the moral means of achieving those goals (what is believed to be success).

Last edited by Mighty_Pelican; 08-03-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat70 View Post
LILY!

Now THAT would make ME nuts!!! (Actually, my husband does too and I lose my mind)
Hey, your husband has great taste. He married you, didn't he? pretty lady?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I am into European history, the arts, Masterpiece Theater movies, music like U2, Sting, Eva Cassidy, baroque classical, 1960s folk music, and 1980s pop. There is not an athletic bone in my body, and when I was in school my interests were the Drama Club, and the closest I ever got to an intramural competition was in Spelling and Girls' Trio! I play the piano and love to paint and decorate. I like Thai food and cooking with all organic foods. I have always worked in a white collar, professional environment.

My husband is into American history, politics, football, John Wayne movies, football, music like George Strait, Tracy Lawrence, George Jones, football, and classic rock. He played football in high school. He plays no musical instruments and he loves to build stuff, tinker with tools, and putter around in his shop. He loves BBQ ribs and hot wings. He wears steel toed boots and a hard hat to work.

I could have written him off, saying "we have nothing in common" after our first date. But...I LIKED him. I liked his personality, his values, his outgoing and affectionate manner, and his big grin. And the more I talked with him, the more I realized that he was just as passionate about his interests as I am about mine - and his depth and breadth of knowledge on these things was IMPRESSIVE.

Lo and behold, we found some common ground! And the longer we dated, the more common ground we discovered. Meanwhile, we also expanded each others' interests. Now, I love football and hot wings and George Strait, and he loves British comedies, sushi, and has a new appreciation for U2!

My point is that if I had judged him only by his interests, I would have missed out on the best man I've ever known - and a terrific life mate. Not to mention all that other fun stuff I've been exposed to!

By the way, I read People magazine every week. My husband bought me a subscription as a gift!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:06 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times
Sounds a lot like my relationship. We're polar opposites when it comes to some of our favorite past times. But a lot of the times that's where the fun comes in!

My girlfriend teases me a lot and calls me a nerd because of my interest in random things like Chinese martial arts, history, sports, the endless list of things I try to be an aficionado on and my knowledge of random facts that no normal person cares about.

On the other hand, I still don't understand what pleasure she gets from watching reality TV or religiously checking her gossip blogs and social media. So I'm always getting on her about that.

But even so, at the end of the day it's just our entertainment preferences. We understand and respect each other's likes and dislikes. We have far more common ground than uncommon when it comes down to it. She's an amazingly smart, loving girl and I can't get enough of her!

Stuff like that is trivial. What really matters is how you get along when it comes to the important aspects of the relationship.

I'm not trying to tell you whether you're with the right person or not. I'm just letting you know it's not uncommon for differences like that to occur in a relationship.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 08-03-2013 at 02:46 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
If she is lightly teasing you grow a pair. Tease her back. If she gets mad she can dish it out but can't take it back.

Then she isn't for you.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:42 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I've been with my girlfriend for 18 months an and am in a very stable relationship. She's a little close-minded though when it comes to certain things. I don't think she's well aware of what things are going on in the world right now, how the economy works, who are the major influential people in the world, what causes our taxes to go up, etc. She's even made fun of me a few times for spending my spare time looking up random articles on anything to broaden my knowledge - european history, insects, animals, astronomy, religious stuff, you name it....and suggesting that she should try it some time because it's fun to expand your mind on stuff. Most of this stuff I won't use in the real world, but I mainly keep it to myself and only bring it up if the topic of conversation with a person warrants it. However I think this is common in relationships - there will always be that one partner that doesn't really care about that kind of stuff and it's hard to get a match on that type of level. I get that.

But what really turns me off at the end of the day is that she knows waaaaay too much about celebrities, who they're married or divorced to, what movies they're in, what their political beliefs are, whether they're gay or straight, etc. I feel like she's the type of person to parrot what her celebrity idols say. If we're around other people, I feel pretty embarassed if she talks about the personal lives of random celebrities. I also feel it undermines my intelligence a bit.

I don't know how to tell her this bothers me because to a normal person, I don't think it would. Normally I try to just change the topic of conversation, but I'm not sure.

Sort of a weird topic I know - reminds me of a typical Seinfeld episode.
Do you feel contempt for her? If so, your relationship is in trouble.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Apparently you didn't really read the OP.... she "made fun" of him because he was researching topics. Just based on the OP's posting she sounds sort of like a dolt.
This.

Who cares if she likes celeb gossip (although, yeah, if that's her SOLE interest, she's likely a vapid twit)? The real issue is that she thinks someone else having more diverse intellectual interests is mockworthy. Sounds like an ass to me.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM

354 posts, read 618,201 times
I was going to say don't let it bother you but then I realized that I will not date a woman who doesn't like to be out on the water.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Well, get the OP back here to clarify.

The whole bit about 'how the world works and what really causes taxes to go up'... it could mean he has an actual interest in economics, but someone who did would be more likely to choose a gf based in part on intellectual compatibility in the first place.

Conspiracy theorists, OTOH, generally have to take what they can get -- and they avoid spending time with anyone they can't play the role of Smartest Guy with. They seek out people dumb enough to think their pseudoknowledge is real.
Generalizations.

It could be that "what really causes taxes to go up" means he is NOT a conspiracy theorist and actually has an understanding of how economics and politics really work.

One does not lead to the other, the mention of taxes and conspiracies, unless you are only minimally acquainted with the process yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships