Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,630,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
If you need to be physically attracted to your mate, then no. Maybe when you're old and don't care about that anymore, you can settle down happily with another senior citizen. There are plenty of lonely senor citizens just looking for a companion. There ain't no sexin' going on.
Senior citizens definitely have sex from what I've heard. I remember reading something about STDs going around in retirement homes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
This is very true. It happened to me with a coworker and her with me. Unfortunately this was at a time when I believed I was unlovable. I had never had so much fun with anyone in my life yet I just watched her as she quit and walked out of my life forever.
Thank you for verifying that it is indeed possible.

I know younger guys in particular don't get this, but if they can at least stay open to the possibility they may be pleasantly surprised one day

Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,205,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I know younger guys in particular don't get this, but if they can at least stay open to the possibility they may be pleasantly surprised one day
You're welcome. I wish it would happen more often. It has been 11 years since her and it hasn't happened again. I see the younger guys speaking about how dating is a numbers game and you should approach x amount of women every day. I then wonder why they can't see this theory screams desperation. The women they are approaching sure can see it though.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
See, no offense D, but this is where your young age and lack of experience shine through.

It is indeed entirely possible for attraction to grow toward someone you were initially not physically attracted to once you get to know them.

Don't be one of those shallow guys who won't give a woman a chance strictly based on her looks alone.
I don't think I'm shallow becuase if im going to make sacrifices to be in a relationship, I want someone I have SOME physical attraction to. My standards aint high. If I have no physical attraction to you, we are better off not together. End of story.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't think I'm shallow becuase if im going to make sacrifices to be in a relationship, I want someone I have SOME physical attraction to. My standards aint high. If I have no physical attraction to you, we are better off not together. End of story.
I didn't call you shallow, I said don't be like the shallow guys and buy into their skewed views.

OF COURSE you want to have some physical attraction to the woman you are with! That's normal.

We are just trying to tell you that when you allow yourself to get to know a woman with other qualities you admire that in the getting to know her a physical attraction can develop and grow. In other words, don't reject or accept a woman right off the bat on looks alone. Take some time to get to know someone!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,304,025 times
I had this same talk with one of my advisees a few days ago, although the subject was choosing college courses rather than choosing whom to date. The gist of the conversation is that to some extent you are free to study whatever you want, but your personal talents and interests will dictate how much success you have in those pursuits. Some students find every course in the catalog fascinating, and their challenge is picking the five that are the best fit for them. Others cannot find a single course that interests them. Assuming similar abilities, students with the former attitude will tend to be far more successful than those with the latter.

In other words, possibly the reason why you are not having the success with the women you find attractive is tied to the reason why you are 'repulsed' by most other women. There is nothing wrong with finding certain characteristics attractive but defining what is attractive too narrowly only limits your options and ultimately doesn't accomplish much.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM

46 posts, read 99,209 times
Physical attraction is important. I don't think it's shallow to say so, because the first thing we use when it comes to senses is usually our eyes. I think most of the time we 'see' first, and investigate second.

Forcing yourself to date someone you don't find attractive is a set-up for disaster. You will be looking at them constantly, and while bodies change (better or worse), most of them doesn't.

I've always subscribed to the idea that attractiveness is on a sliding scale. I've met people that are magazine/model worthy who drop a few points once they open their mouths and use words, and others that are less physically attractive, but gain points by being interesting, having opinions, and are likeable.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,852,196 times
Quote:

Why preach it though? If it happens to him, it will just happen, right? He'll come back here and be like "Wow. It happened with my co-worker. She wasn't cute at first and now she is."

Personally, I don't recommend that approach, especially for guys who have had it a little rough. Getting hooked in that manner and then not having it reciprocated is one of the toughest pills you could swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
You're welcome. I wish it would happen more often. It has been 11 years since her and it hasn't happened again. I see the younger guys speaking about how dating is a numbers game and you should approach x amount of women every day. I then wonder why they can't see this theory screams desperation. The women they are approaching sure can see it though.
Numbers game is just a label. Are you saying that every woman you ask out accepts you. If so, then kudos to you.

If not, then you are part of the numbers game. Whether that number is 5, 10 or 50, depends on a lot of factors.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,487,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loque View Post
Physical attraction is important. I don't think it's shallow to say so, because the first thing we use when it comes to senses is usually our eyes. I think most of the time we 'see' first, and investigate second.
No one is suggesting that people are shallowing because they appreciate beauty. What is shallow is to give beauty too much weight, to let it trump all other considerations. I know a lot of guys who put up with all kinds of rude, cruel, obnoxious behavior from women just because those woman are "hot." That, I think, is shallowness.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The men I'm interested in are always attractive in my opinion.
This, pretty much. I wouldn't be interested in the guy if he wasn't in some way attractive to me. That doesn't mean that he looks like a Greek god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships