Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 PM

7,864 posts, read 10,346,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
No it does not. That's an excuse.

Sh*t happens, I've experienced enough to know that first hand, but I do not let that dictate what I do now - and if I did, I would only have myself to blame, not people from the past.

your an apologist for wrong doers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You sound depressed and really self absorbed. Your coworkers invite you out for drinks but you choose not to go. You choose to mope around ruminating on how horrible your parents were to you. We all choose how we're going to react to our circumstances. When you make the decision to change your mindset and realise that happiness comes from within, then you might be someone worth dating. Until then you're way too negative...and no-one likes a negative Nancy.

more callous victim blaming , no we don't choose how we react to abuse , that's another one of the modern day viscious lies

if people chose how they react to bad stuff , that would mean the majority of people were masochists and they are not

Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 PM

29,781 posts, read 34,577,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
more callous victim blaming , no we don't choose how we react to abuse , that's another one of the modern day viscious lies

if people chose how they react to bad stuff , that would mean the majority of people were masochists and they are not
You absolutely have a choice in how you react to something like abuse. It's really the only choice you do have in that situation. You can say "oh, woe is me, my life is ruined because bad things have happened to me" or you can say, "I'm stronger than this, and I'm not going to let bad things in the past define my future." Then you live that.

5,347 posts, read 7,221,502 times
No offense, but women online will say they would date someone like you to spare your feelings but in real life would run to the hills.

1,035 posts, read 2,068,244 times
Agreed with Irish, I wouldn't date you but I can't say if I'm in the majority or not because there are plenty who would. My answer would have been different years ago but I've met my threshold for dating people carrying a lot of baggage that negatively affects their ability to socialize, develop bonds, or feel fulfilled instead of empty.

That said, your Independence puts you in a good position to start a turn around for the better in your emotional and interpersonal affairs so I wouldn't think you were a loser or hopeless or anything like that.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,172,530 times
Quote:

We are not blaming him for the psychological abuse that his parents inflicted upon him, but ultimately the past cannot be undone. IMO therapy is the best way for the OP to move forward. He needs to disengage the false image of himself as a loser that they gave him from his actual self. Then that actual self can go on to live a happier life.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You absolutely have a choice in how you react to something like abuse. It's really the only choice you do have in that situation. You can say "oh, woe is me, my life is ruined because bad things have happened to me" or you can say, "I'm stronger than this, and I'm not going to let bad things in the past define my future." Then you live that.

let me tell you something , real victims of abuse are not in a strong enough frame of mind to make a clear descision like " ok im rising above this " without so much as a whimper , they are too busy reeling from their ordeal , people are not car engines who can be fixed with a few tweaks here and there

Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
We are not blaming him for the psychological abuse that his parents inflicted upon him, but ultimately the past cannot be undone. IMO therapy is the best way for the OP to move forward. He needs to disengage the false image of himself as a loser that they gave him from his actual self. Then that actual self can go on to live a happier life.

my point is that if someone cannot get over past abuse , the blame lies with the abuser , if a rape victim could never get over her or his ordeal , would you lecture them about being weak , didn't think so , abusers are the ones who bear responsibility , not victims

Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 PM

48,636 posts, read 35,125,318 times
Quote:
your an apologist for wrong doers
At the end of the day, we are the only ones who suffer by not fixing what is wrong. I can blame, blame, blame the "X" (bad parent, mean guys I've dated, etc.), till I'm blue in the face, and it can be 100% fair, but what good does that do me in day-to-day life?

His option is too fix himself in order to be happy, he can't go back in time and change things, you can't prosecute the parents, etc.

You have to take responsibility for your own happiness and health. It's the ONLY thing you have control over to change in these situations.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2013, 05:35 PM

102,328 posts, read 108,547,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
So, I put the question to the women here: if you met a guy who lived on his own, supported himself, but had absolutely no dating history or any sexual past, would you run away, thinking the guy was a freak? That he was irreparably damaged? That's what I fear will happen.
Of course not. But I would be very cautious about a guy who had as much unresolved baggage as you do.

Get therapy. There are psychologists who specialize in family abuse issues and trauma. They have pretty effective methods for resolving those things these days. Consider it an investment in yourself and your future happiness. The sooner you get started, the sooner you can live the life of your dreams! Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships