Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM

175 posts, read 275,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
How so?

How does a person with low self esteem become obnoxious.

From what I remember, people calling others ugly, making fun of women, and having ridiculously high standards are people with high self esteem. IMO, people with high self esteem are more likely to exhibit behavior with negative consequences towards others.

The posters here with lower self esteem who have been knocked down a couple of pegs because of whatever reason are generally less shallow.

If anything a woman prattling on and on about how she isn't so pretty might be annoying at worst.
No disrespect but I just burst out laughing at the emboldened. You simply do not have a clue what the words self esteem mean. You should google it.

And again, no offence but your probably one of the last people on this board that should be giving advice on, or commenting on self esteem. Before you try to help anyone else, you should help yourself first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMars View Post
No disrespect but I just burst out laughing at the emboldened. You simply do not have a clue what the words self esteem mean. You should google it.

And again, no offence but your probably one of the last people on this board that should be giving advice on, or commenting on self esteem. Before you try to help anyone else, you should help yourself first.
Self esteem-

1: a confidence and satisfaction in oneself : self-respect

2: self-conceit

I get it yea. People who have low self esteem need to put down others sometimes. Sometimes people with high self esteem put down others.

But other people with low self esteem do not. They know how it is to be put down, so they don't do it themselves.

You have it all figured out, don't you? Because I've said so many nasty things about you as a poster and trash talked you and torn you apart that you feel compelled to ride me?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM

175 posts, read 275,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Self esteem-

1: a confidence and satisfaction in oneself : self-respect

2: self-conceit

I get it yea. People who have low self esteem need to put down others sometimes. Sometimes people with high self esteem put down others.

But other people with low self esteem do not. They know how it is to be put down, so they don't do it themselves.

You have it all figured out, don't you? Because I've said so many nasty things about you as a poster and trash talked you and torn you apart that you feel compelled to ride me?
Yes. But what you said in your last post was a completely inaccurate description of esteem.

"People who have low self esteem need to put others down.....", "But other people with low self esteem do not.". That doesn't make any sense and your contradicting yourself. How do you mean other people?

And I'm not trying to "ride you" & I don't have it all figured out, far far from it. But your making comments in a thread about esteem where you just prove you didn't understand what it means by your description, and from your other posts on here I don't think your the best person to give advice on it.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMars View Post
Yes. But what you said in your last post was a completely inaccurate description of esteem.

"People who have low self esteem need to put others down.....", "But other people with low self esteem do not.". That doesn't make any sense and your contradicting yourself. How do you mean other people?

And I'm not trying to "ride you" & I don't have it all figured out, far far from it. But your making comments in a thread about esteem where you just prove you didn't understand what it means by your description, and from your other posts on here I don't think your the best person to give advice on it.
Actually dude, I was being serious.

I know I have some problems with self-esteem and there's a lot of reasons for it. But I truly feel it has made me a better person in SOME respects (of course I have many flaws). And I want someone with those same characteristics. I think average women out there are beautiful all the time and one of the reasons is because my self esteem/confidence is on the low side.

Unlike others, I don't think low self-esteem has all bad effects. Humility is a great thing.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:17 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
On the internet I like to vent about the fact that I am not good enough, due to the fact that I am single. I don't have a family to come back to for the holidays, I am not rich, I am not charismatic, I am not sexy, I am not experienced in bed, I am not a comedian, I will buy my car next year, I have not yet finished my education, I have poor memories (even though my memory is good), I don't have any exciting tales to tell, I have frequent nightmares, my good friends that I know well live elsewhere, I wear hearing aids AND glasses, I suck at reading body language, I am timid around women.

Sure, I am knowledgeable, I am polite, I can have an interesting debate conversation, I like to listen to people, I can make people laugh *sonetimes*, but the fact is, I have not been able to capture and keep the interest of women like the men better than me have. My female friends said they wish their BFs were more like me, yet, I am not their BF.

Despite that, I do my best to keep a grin on my face and keep my frustrations online (one interesting thing is I've only heard advice for seeing a therapist is on CD). Do women really see through all of this? Or am I too inferior? Or do most people here get married early, and I've misses the boat?
Women notice, but they may not care if they like you.

Since you asked, I am curious, do you notice low self-esteem in women?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
I have the opposite problem, sometimes my self esteem gets too high

Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
No, we are all blind.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:55 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Women notice, but they may not care if they like you.

Since you asked, I am curious, do you notice low self-esteem in women?
Let's just say that I am terrible at reading the subtleties of emotions. I can tell the obvious, but that's about it.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
On the internet I like to vent about the fact that I am not good enough, due to the fact that I am single. I don't have a family to come back to for the holidays, I am not rich, I am not charismatic, I am not sexy, I am not experienced in bed, I am not a comedian, I will buy my car next year, I have not yet finished my education, I have poor memories (even though my memory is good), I don't have any exciting tales to tell, I have frequent nightmares, my good friends that I know well live elsewhere, I wear hearing aids AND glasses, I suck at reading body language, I am timid around women.

Sure, I am knowledgeable, I am polite, I can have an interesting debate conversation, I like to listen to people, I can make people laugh *sonetimes*, but the fact is, I have not been able to capture and keep the interest of women like the men better than me have. My female friends said they wish their BFs were more like me, yet, I am not their BF.

Despite that, I do my best to keep a grin on my face and keep my frustrations online (one interesting thing is I've only heard advice for seeing a therapist is on CD). Do women really see through all of this? Or am I too inferior? Or do most people here get married early, and I've misses the boat?
My gosh, first thing I'd say to you is stop putting yourself down.
You probably have a lot to offer....
I noticed the line in your post that says something about other men who are better than you.
In my experiences, men with excessively high self esteems, inflated egos & all around narcissists
are a dime a dozen.
If I had to choose between a self absorbed egomaniac or a guy with a few flaws (that's working on himself) I'd easily take the second.
Lighten up with criticizing yourself.....honestly life can be hard enough- beating yourself down is pointless.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:31 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
It's simple. If you don't like yourself, then why would or should anyone else like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships