Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM

102,387 posts, read 108,714,406 times

Advertisements

Actor Wes Studi ("Geronimo") met his wife by taking a theater improv class. He also discovered he had a gift for acting. The rest is history. These kinds of things can, and do, work. I'm starting to think you're just making excuses for not trying it. Why did you post your thread, if you're going to shoot down all the suggestions people give?

Wait, this isn't Brahmabull, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,957,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actor Wes Studi ("Geronimo") met his wife by taking a theater improv class. He also discovered he had a gift for acting. The rest is history. These kinds of things can, and do, work. I'm starting to think you're just making excuses for not trying it. Why did you post your thread, if you're going to shoot down all the suggestions people give?

Wait, this isn't Brahmabull, is it?
You have to go back to the 1980s to find an example of your theory? How do you know that men commonly meet women through the venues you've mentioned?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:10 PM

113 posts, read 187,603 times
Quote:

I looked up meetup.com and I saw a couple dating groups that would be interesting to me

I must admit I'm hesitant because I have no idea what to expect and I feel somewhat embarrassed/pathetic that I have to resort to this to find a partner. The other issue is that the dating group I saw says mid 20s all the way up to 50s. I'm 26, am I going to find women in my age range? I would not mind having a casual affair with somebody significantly older but I am probably not interested in dating anybody who is older than 27-30

Has anybody here ever met somebody at a meet up group?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You have to go back to the 1980s to find an example of your theory? How do you know that men commonly meet women through the venues you've mentioned?
I already posted that some of these venues have resulted in many marriages. But think about it; if you don't get out and circulate via these and other venues, how are you going to meet anyone, anyway? Sitting at home isn't going to do it. And the OP has rejecting OLD, and says there aren't any available singles in his social group (remarkably like Brahmabull's situation--what an uncanny coincidence!)

So what else are you going to do? What other options are there? The gym (that works, too), coffeeshops, etc. etc.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I already posted that some of these venues have resulted in many marriages. But think about it; if you don't get out and circulate via these and other venues, how are you going to meet anyone, anyway? Sitting at home isn't going to do it. And the OP has rejecting OLD, and says there aren't any available singles in his social group (remarkably like Brahmabull's situation--what an uncanny coincidence!)

So what else are you going to do? What other options are there? The gym (that works, too), coffeeshops, etc. etc.

the gym could be a fantastic option if not for those dreaded headphones that all the girls wear. It's an instant stopper before you even get started. Not to mention that the gym has the reputation of being the ultimate douchebag spot to approach a girl so you're probably going to run into many situations where the girl won't be receptive at all

I am still so curious about how some (a very small group) of men are able to succeed in the night club scene. I think the difficulty level there is higher than anything else - so many girls are just going out to have fun with their friends and have no interest at all in meeting anybody so you're facing difficult odds. Plus you see a huge amount of instant blowouts in the bar scene, which are horribly uncomfortable for me.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM

The guys who succeed in nightclubs aren't as shy as you.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 PM

448 posts, read 767,885 times
I had a similar dilemma a little while ago and I'm working on it. The conclusion I came to is that you just need to go out and hit on women all the time regardless of how bad of an idea that sounds. I don't mean you need to be a bro about it but if you see a woman you like on the bus, at the laundromat, or in a store you talk to her and try to get her number. Unless you're super creepy about it the worst she's likely to do is just ignore you, maybe say no if you try something bold.

If you're like me and aren't going to dip into your social circle and you don't want a bar chick you just need to keep trying any time you go and eventually it will work.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The guys who succeed in nightclubs aren't as shy as you.

and don't care if they get rejected and blown out 50 times in a night. I dunno, I guess I have too much pride

and I was talking more about the bar scene/lounge scene. I don't do the night clubs - the level of difficulty in the night club scene is literally about infinity as the music is so loud and you really can't even talk to the girls much. The night club only really works if you are a famous male/movie star/athlete

Old 12-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
I had a similar dilemma a little while ago and I'm working on it. The conclusion I came to is that you just need to go out and hit on women all the time regardless of how bad of an idea that sounds. I don't mean you need to be a bro about it but if you see a woman you like on the bus, at the laundromat, or in a store you talk to her and try to get her number. Unless you're super creepy about it the worst she's likely to do is just ignore you, maybe say no if you try something bold.

I can't do it. I can not approach a girl unless the scenario in my mind makes sense on some level

I don't want to get blown out, I don't want to hit on a girl who is there with her boyfriend waiting or with her friends just wanting to have a fun ladies night out

Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerShah View Post
I looked up meetup.com and I saw a couple dating groups that would be interesting to me

I must admit I'm hesitant because I have no idea what to expect and I feel somewhat embarrassed/pathetic that I have to resort to this to find a partner. The other issue is that the dating group I saw says mid 20s all the way up to 50s. I'm 26, am I going to find women in my age range? I would not mind having a casual affair with somebody significantly older but I am probably not interested in dating anybody who is older than 27-30

Has anybody here ever met somebody at a meet up group?

Ruth, can you please respond to this ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships