Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:26 AM

97 posts, read 147,243 times

Advertisements

What would you choose?

A very kind, sensitive man/woman ... but you have a dream job on the other side of the planet.

I hate to admit ... as much a romantic as I am, I'd choose career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Well I want a career so I can meet a girl and fall in love.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,310 times
I don't believe in dream jobs! Unless you are lucky enough to know exactly what you love to do, it can make money, and you have all the abilities it takes to run a business, I don't think most of us will ever find that.

I do believe in good relationships so I would take love. It make make a crappy job seem not as important.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technev View Post
What would you choose?

A very kind, sensitive man/woman ... but you have a dream job on the other side of the planet.

I wouldn't choose a dream job over love, but kind/sensitive isn't saying a lot. Does he also look like Jesse Williams and wants to marry me? Now we're talking.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Why would I have to chose?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
I don't believe in dream jobs! Unless you are lucky enough to know exactly what you love to do, it can make money, and you have all the abilities it takes to run a business, I don't think most of us will ever find that.

I do believe in good relationships so I would take love. It make make a crappy job seem not as important.
I am going for my dream job it might not make a million bucks but that is ok . On reason is I get to work 3/12 hour shifts so when the day comes I meet a girl get marred and have kids I can spent more time with them . I never got to do anything with my dad we never did anything together well we did but it was not much as I would of liked he just never really made time for me it seems like.

I do not want that I want to spend more time with my kids and wife when ever that happens.

Also factor in I would have the time to do all the family stuff I never got to do.

That is why a good career is important to me .

Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technev View Post
What would you choose?

Career for sure. You can date in whatever city you end up in. Good jobs are nearly impossible to find in 2014.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 01-01-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Career for sure. You can date in whatever city you end up in. Good jobs are nearly impossible to find in 2013.
Do you mean 2014

Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Why would I have to chose?
Great question. Ideally, if you found your perfect mate (and they loved you in return), they would go with you.

Although, I imagine this does happen frequently, especially if you found the love of your life and they had a great career/life where they already live. In that case, it would depend on various factors:

1. How serious am I about this person?
2. How much will I be making at this dream job? Will it cover my significant other until they could find their own job (or will they ever have to work)?
3. How rare is my job (can I find it in the city I currently live in with similar pay)?

I'd choose love. I don't let finances dictate my choices, and I personally don't have a dream profession. I know that's a canned response but as someone who has chosen to live comfortably with lowish wages, I already don't regret a thing.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Well, I did quit my job to become a Navy wife and travel duty station to duty station with my guy, so I def. chose my relationship over my career. I'd been established in my career for quite a few years, and opting to take time away from it to move for his career was not a difficult decision. I liked my career (teaching), and can always go back to it if we end up not living such a transient lifestyle at some point, but I wasn't so attached to it that I was willing to tell my guy "see ya in a few years when you're done at that duty station!" Some Navy wives do, though. For me, my job is not rare, it's needed many places, but it's difficult to get a position if you are only going to be somewhere a year, and employers in military installations know this. If we get an assignment where we will be somewhere for multiple years, I'm employable if we need for me to be, my income as a teacher isn't a huge contribution to the household anyway, and we are accustomed to living frugally to begin with.

Some people DO have to choose. Military spouses are often such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships