Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times

Advertisements

i can tell you that putting effort into online messages doesn't get you far, or in my case, doesn't get me anywhere with anyone, no matter how high she's rated for me.

I've written some pretty thoughtful and elegant messages through OLD, and I don't get messages back, or I get the shortest sentence you can think of from women. It's pretty pathetic.

I'd say you have just as good a chance at the spray method as someone would with the real thoughtful method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
I can't find it now but there was an article where they created a fake profile for a handsome guy standing in front of a BMW and one for a hot gal in a bikini. The profiles were basically gibberish and included the line "This is not a real profile, do not respond."

Both got dozens and dozens of responses.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoceansandclearskies View Post
If you present a low-quality profile, you will get low-quality guys. If she were to write up a really intelligent and coherent profile, the messages would be quite different and would attract higher quality men.
Meh....I still get plenty of notes from 20-somethings with something analogous to DTF and I have "looking for relationship."

The worst messages I get are on the the shortest profile I have. Then it is like 80% DTF.....

Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
i can tell you that putting effort into online messages doesn't get you far, or in my case, doesn't get me anywhere with anyone, no matter how high she's rated for me.

I've written some pretty thoughtful and elegant messages through OLD, and I don't get messages back, or I get the shortest sentence you can think of from women. It's pretty pathetic.

I'd say you have just as good a chance at the spray method as someone would with the real thoughtful method.
Amen, I don't know how many girls profiles I have come across that say "put some thought into your message" and it has gotten me nowhere. Even if she isn't interested she can tell me, I wouldn't get offended.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Amen, I don't know how many girls profiles I have come across that say "put some thought into your message" and it has gotten me nowhere. Even if she isn't interested she can tell me, I wouldn't get offended.

I used to get annoyed at that, but seeing my friend's profiles and their messages ,when they respond to men saying things like thank you for your message but I don't think we're a good match or whatever, the level of totally nasty messages they get back from so many men is appalling. I had not idea that people could go insane after receiving a no thank you.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

Exactly, never put time into a message. It is pointless.

If they're going to respond to you, they'd respond to a message of two sentences or 10. If they're not going to respond, it doesn't matter how much you write.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
There's an inherent problem with the wide-open sites like OKC and Match where anyone can contact anyone. On the surface it seems great that you can view and contact anyone you want. Unfortunately, it means the most very attractive women are going to get hundreds of messages from guys, and aren't going to be able to respond to a very high percentage of them. If you're a guy, that means your chance of getting a response from any one of them is quite small. Therefore, if you want to have any decent chance at getting a response from just one of them (let alone to actually go out with one of them), you have to message LOTS of them. That means they get even MORE messages they can't respond to, which makes any one guy's chances even smaller, which makes the guys sent out even more emails. It also means the guys aren't going to put too much thought into any one email, because there's not enough time to do that with dozens or hundreds of emails to send. It's a vicious cycle; an arms race of sorts.

This was one thing I liked about eHarmony (though there were other things I didn't like about it). On that site you can only contact the people with whom you are matched. If I'm matched with a really attractive woman, I know that I'm one of only 6-10 new people who can contact her that day. That means there's a pretty good chance she's going to at least read my message, and have time to respond if she likes it. That means I'm going to put more time and effort into the message. It's so much easier and more enjoyable than the spray-and-pray approach I had to use on Match.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Exactly, never put time into a message. It is pointless.

If they're going to respond to you, they'd respond to a message of two sentences or 10. If they're not going to respond, it doesn't matter how much you write.
Do you think this is the case even with geeky or intellectual women?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Do you think this is the case even with geeky or intellectual women?

Well, I've been around a lot of different types of women. I don't think women who label themselves as "geeky" or "intellectual" are any different than other women.

All it takes is enough in a message to show you took the time to at least read somethign about her. Say something about how you guys relate, something interesting about yourself and a question for her. Less than that might make you look stupid, more than that makes you look a little desperate. If all you can come up with is "hi" it screams that you're nervous to write her and feel she's out of your league. Of all the messages I get, the ones who just say "hi" are always the ugly fat ones.

Also, on a tangent.. most girls who call themselves geeky aren't remotely close to geeky.. they might just have a pair of glasses and listen to my chemical romance and call that underground music.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I can't find it now but there was an article where they created a fake profile for a handsome guy standing in front of a BMW and one for a hot gal in a bikini. The profiles were basically gibberish and included the line "This is not a real profile, do not respond."

Both got dozens and dozens of responses.

"this is not a real response. kindly disregard"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships