Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:52 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

But you know there's a reason why you're holding back, OP, don't you?

I'm in my 30s, married in my 20s. When we found each other, we'd already "been around", so we knew what we wanted and things just happened naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:25 PM

291 posts, read 505,968 times
For most women, once we turn 30 is when our biological clock starts ticking. It only gets worse from there. Men can age nicely but not women.

I'm nowhere near 30 but that's my 2 cents.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
I don't see too many men in their 30s in a rush to get maried, theres just not a whole lot of upside.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think at that age, many people are dating with a purpose, not just for the fun of it.

I don't think you need to be married within a two-year timeframe, but I do think that after two years, you "should" have a solid idea of whether or not this is the person you want to share your life with.

At some point it does become wasting time or stringing someone along, especially for women who have biology against them the older they get, if they want to have children. It's not two months, it's two years, which is more than enough time to get to know someone.

I'm curious what's stopping you from making a decision.
THIS.

I'm in my late 30s, closer to 40 than I'd like to admit, and I definitely started daring with intent/purpose sometime in my mid 30s. I don't have time to waste with playing the field and dating people who aren't interested in finding something serious.

I realize that not everyone wants to get married, and that's fine. Definitely something couples need to discuss and preferable earlier rather than later. (Marriage in the abstract, I mean... )

Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It really just depends on the individuals, the relationship, and timing. I was in a long-term cohabiting relationship from age 30-35, and while we talked of marriage in some far-off abstract, it was never something that was on the immediate horizon.

That relationship ended, and when I started dating again, I met someone...I was almost 36, he was 40, and we got married a little over a year after we met.

In neither case did I pressure for marriage. In the case of my husband and I, neither of us had ever been married before, but he said when he met me, he knew he was ready.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I think if you start thread after thread about not being happy in your relationship - you probably shouldn't be in your relationship.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:39 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,396 times
I was dating an adorable woman from Holland for about a month. I was very interested in her and I am looking to settle down but she asked me so many heavy questions I really didn't know how to answer them. We were still dating, getting to know each other and all.

She seemed really interested in me but ended it. She said it would be to hard since we're both immigrants from different countries and live in the U.S. and I wasn't clear about my future plans. I have a 5 and 10 year plan, but if I meet someone I'm willing to compromise.

FFS!! It's only been 7-8 dates over a few weeks. I feel like she's shooting herself in the foot... It's a shame.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I was dating an adorable woman from Holland for about a month. I was very interested in her and I am looking to settle down but she asked me so many heavy questions I really didn't know how to answer them. We were still dating, getting to know each other and all.

She seemed really interested in me but ended it. She said it would be to hard since we're both immigrants from different countries and live in the U.S. and I wasn't clear about my future plans. I have a 5 and 10 year plan, but if I meet someone I'm willing to compromise.

FFS!! It's only been 7-8 dates over a few weeks. I feel like she's shooting herself in the foot... It's a shame.
What did she ask you?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Any woman that tried to force or pressure a guy into marrying her is in for a rude awakening... ain't gonna happen.
Only if more women understood this! I had one girl that was 21 that started pestering me within 6 months. YES! I AM SERIOUS! I had to break it off and within a year she was engaged with some chump.

Was probably in my top 5 best girlfriends list though...

Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Only if more women understood this! I had one girl that was 21 that started pestering me within 6 months. YES! I AM SERIOUS! I had to break it off and within a year she was engaged with some chump.

Was probably in my top 5 best girlfriends list though...
Some women are just looking for a man at all cost, almost doesn't matter who he is even. He just has to be willing to give himself away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships