Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,852,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Haha! George! That guy was always his own worst enemy! If he were a real-life person he would be posting on CDR complaining incessantly about height, weight, baldness, glasses, etc.
Yea, that show had absolutely no basis in reality.

On that show, Jerry dated 9s and 10s and George dated 6s to 8s. In reality, an average looking guy like Jerry might be able to get 6s while struggling and facing a lot of rejection. Being a comedian would help.

A guy like George who was bald, short, and unemployed, as well as being neurotic and cheap? Oh god, forget it. He would never get any women, not even unattractive ones.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post

On that show, Jerry dated 9s and 10s and George dated 6s to 8s. In reality, an average looking guy like Jerry might be able to get 6s while struggling and facing a lot of rejection. Being a comedian would help.

A guy like George who was bald, short, and unemployed, as well as being neurotic and cheap? Oh god, forget it. He would never get any women, not even unattractive ones.

That's really not true. For one ,if you watch them.. they approached any women they saw.. which is a lot better than most people do.

Also, the show did not have them dating 9s and 10s.. far from it.

George actually had the hottest gf of them all, Karen.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,020,393 times
Quote:

Geez, it was just a show.

As for the bolded, there really is no set formula. You can't put preference in a narrowly defined set of parameters. I'm not big into the "10-1" scale, but for the sake of discussion, why is it so hard to believe a 1 or a 2 could land a 9 or a 10? Have you never seen any couples where one partner just appeared more attractive than the other? I certainly have and it has gone both ways: good looking guys with unappealing women are just as common as the inverse. At least from my casual and admittedly sometimes disinterested observation.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,107,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As an average looking guy myself, what I learned over the years about physical attraction of the opposite sex is that I have to be weary about what average and unattractive women finds attractive and to a certain degree it is not me. Me personally I would rather go for an average looking women, or a big girl or even someone that is unattractive but has a great heart and spirit, however I always find women average to below average women very insecure about themselves, unhappy and shallow. One thing I do now is to tell guys who are average, big or unattractive is to be very weary about the opposite sex physical attraction. And like I said before a big girl may not want a big guy, and big women have it much easier in finding a relationship than say a big guy. But then again I live in a very female oriented increasingly feminist city cough, cough NY, so plenty of fat women are in relationships with fit men.
Yeah nyc is terrible for average men..great for women looking to outkick their coverage

I need to move somewhere else where the single scene isnt so skwewed towards women and their sex and the city like delusions of grandeur

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,107,449 times
Quote:
Yep. We've discussed this before. How it doesn't help to go for unattractive women if you are an unattractive guy.

On the other side of the coin, I would say it generally would be a very successful strategy for a less attractive woman to go after less attractive guys, but there are even some rare guys who think they are much better looking than they are.

The thing is, people's perceptions of themselves is based on their success. An unattractive woman is much more likely to have had sex and dates with attractive men than an unattractive man with attractive women, so is more likely to have a higher opinion of herself.
Yeah an unattractive women has probably had her ego stroked much mroeso then your average man because of beign hit on alot..where your average man has to go through tons of rejection befors a yes so perhpas thats where the disconnect comes in..

Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
Quote:

As for the bolded, there really is no set formula. You can't put preference in a narrowly defined set of parameters. I'm not big into the "10-1" scale, but for the sake of discussion, why is it so hard to believe a 1 or a 2 could land a 9 or a 10? Have you never seen any couples where one partner just appeared more attractive than the other? I certainly have and it has gone both ways: good looking guys with unappealing women are just as common as the inverse. At least from my casual and admittedly sometimes disinterested observation.
Just walking around downtown I see ugly dudes with good looking girls or vice versa. It happens all the time.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,852,036 times
Quote:

No, you're right. It's just a show and they had to use Hollywood actresses, almost all of whom are attractive.

The reason that happens is because there's people who care less about looks, but it's a very, very small portion of the population, maybe <5%.

But it wouldn't be a 2 and a 9. Oh god no, that's like a borderline model going out with like a 5'1" guy who has like a facial deformation.

It'd be more like somewhere out there, there's a woman who is a 6, and maybe was raised not to care that much about looks, so she marries a guy who is a 4 and who is a great guy. But like I said, that is rare. She needs to be that type and it has to all come together and work out.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,020,393 times
Quote:
No, you're right. It's just a show and they had to use Hollywood actresses, almost all of whom are attractive.

The reason that happens is because there's people who care less about looks, but it's a very, very small portion of the population, maybe <5%.

But it wouldn't be a 2 and a 9. Oh god no, that's like a borderline model going out with like a 5'1" guy who has like a facial deformation.

It'd be more like somewhere out there, there's a woman who is a 6, and maybe was raised not to care that much about looks, so she marries a guy who is a 4 and who is a great guy. But like I said, that is rare. She needs to be that type and it has to all come together and work out.
Well it sounds like you've got this all figured out and categorized just perfectly. Good to know.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,474,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
They probably don't see themselves as heavy.
This. A lot of people do not see themselves as over weight, when they are are.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM

11,811 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So you were rejected after he saw some pics of you?

I won't day a guy who I know I won't be attracted to, and I certainly wouldn't want a guy to date me if he wasn't attracted to me. There is no "he should be attracted to me" for whatever reason, including our weights being similar. A guy with brown hair can have a "thing" for blondes.
I agree with you. But I also sympathize with the OP because it sounds as if they had a lot in common, but based on an unflattering FB photo of her, he wouldn't meet in person. It sucks when you really hit it off with someone in so many of the important ways, but then be "rejected" before you even get to meet.

I know SO and I would have bypassed each other if we were both doing OLD, so I'm grateful we got to meet in person instead of just being shown pictures of each other by our mutual friend and making a decision based on a two-dimensional photo. We're both just regular people, nothing about either of us, in a photo, would make us say "OMG, I HAVE TO MEET HIM/HER", yet meeting in person and getting to know each other became an OMG moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.