Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,051,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
Latest in a series. The most confusing one was our anniversary last year. She came over and we were gonna leave for the restaurant. So she comes over all dressed up and I'm in the process of getting ready. We go into my room. Long story short, she made me clean my room before we could go to dinner. Again, I don't complain about her shortcomings, like how she drives like a bat out of hell for no reason. As far as the drinking age. I think its like pot( which I don't smoke, it smells awful). Is pot against the law? Yes. Is it hurting anybody? No. The 21 age rule is like. Do kids drink underage? Yeah. Is it hurting anyone for the most part( I will admit there are some serious lows)? No. Do the parents care? No. Remember, for most of the world the age for drinking is 18, but America decided to be different and make it 21.
Honestly, OP, it sounds like she is shifting gears in her life right now. Your early 20s can really be a formative time in your life and hers. It certainly was in my life. If she feels you are essentially just in the 13th or 14th grade she may be ready to move on. Especially if college has opened up her perspective on things.

It may be time to really self-examine and decide what your priorities are. If it's time to move on and let her move on, you need to be willing to do so. If you don't want to move on, you need to sit down with her and draw the lines on what your expectations for each other will be as you go forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM

98 posts, read 93,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
If the words "clean my room" are still part of your vocabulary, then you have a lot of growing up to do, sport.
What words would you use? "tidy my living quarters" ? She said those words " We're not living until you clean this room".

Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM

98 posts, read 93,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Honestly, OP, it sounds like she is shifting gears in her life right now. Your early 20s can really be a formative time in your life and hers. It certainly was in my life. If she feels you are essentially just in the 13th or 14th grade she may be ready to move on. Especially if college has opened up her perspective on things.

It may be time to really self-examine and decide what your priorities are. If it's time to move on and let her move on, you need to be willing to do so. If you don't want to move on, you need to sit down with her and draw the lines on what your expectations for each other will be as you go forward.
I'm guessing my expectations to be a little less laid-back then?

Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,486,075 times
Quote:
What should I have done in that situation specifically, the hammock situation? You're shirtless with sunscreen on and your GF wants to go to a new restaurant immediately, not in an hour, immediately, no prior text or anything. What would you have done?
This isn't a one time event by your own admission. Its a common behavior in your relationship. You need to stop trying to see them as individual and recognize the pattern behind them and see the much larger picture.

She honestly just sounds like she is in the beginning stages of giving up on having you included in her life.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM

102,321 posts, read 108,515,277 times
Quote:
What should I have done in that situation specifically, the hammock situation? You're shirtless with sunscreen on and your GF wants to go to a new restaurant immediately, not in an hour, immediately, no prior text or anything. What would you have done?
Fair enough. Maybe she's come to take you a little for granted. But doesn't this incident, the room-cleaning incident, and so many others you haven't mentioned, tell you how different from each other you two have become? The writing's on the wall. Can you read it?

Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,834,004 times
OP I don't know you in real life so I'm not going to make pronouncements about your girlfriend's intentions.

But, she does seem to have some issue with you not living up to whatever standards she has in her head. Whether or not she thinks of any of this as a deal breaker is something you have to talk over with her.

For the record I don't think a 20 year old who is maybe hanging out and enjoying drink or two sometimes is all that unusual or something to freak out over. But that doesn't mean your girlfriend has to feel that way, and that's okay too. If anything, I would wonder why she feels kind of entitled to order you around LOL. I mean just showing up out of the blue and sort of expecting you'll drop everything and take her to dinner is a bit odd, as is ordering you to clean your room... unless that's how you two roll!

You are going to have to talk about what each of you expects from the other and figure out of you can meet some middle ground.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM

102,321 posts, read 108,515,277 times
OP, if she shows up and disses you like she did, and a year ago, she orders you around to clean your room as if she's your mother, think about this: has she become someone you even want to have around?

But by all means, talk to her about it all. It does sound like she's not that into you anymore, but we could be wrong. So, give it a good shot.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:54 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,095,330 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about a career too hence why I'm at comm. college and later a 4 year university, so I can get a job. I'm not a meth dealing 8th grade dropout.
I didn't say it was true. I'm assuming that's just her perception. You're not meeting the same standards, level of ambition, or whatever else your GF is judging you on. Again, that's not a negative reflection on you. You two are simply becoming too different.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,757,698 times
As others have said.. y'all have taken rapidly diverging paths. Sounds like she's more driven or ready to settle down and make the transition into adult life than you are.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,197,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
19 and drinking mid day... either you are a troll or a loser.
Your girlfriend would be better off without you.
hahahaha well well captain judgmental. Did you not go to college? Drinking mid day at 19 was one of the best parts of college. Jesus christ you people are quick to the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships