Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 PM

1,273 posts, read 992,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrassMug View Post
Well... Find me a polygamist family who aren't Mormon fundamentalists, and I'll find you an Arab riding on a magical carpet.
Sister Wives Blog: Christian Polygamy

You can PM for my address so you know where to send my Arab and magic carpet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 PM

154 posts, read 128,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Sister Wives Blog: Christian Polygamy

You can PM for my address so you know where to send my Arab and magic carpet
Damn you! I'll send you a rug, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for magic. (in fairness, me and Chow have established that there will always be rare exceptions to rules)

Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Damn you! I'll send you a rug, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for magic. (in fairness, me and Chow have established that there will always be rare exceptions to rules)
Lol. Honestly the exception to the rule in polygamist arrangements are FLDS, the majority claim Christianity or non Christian beliefs. A minority of polygamists claim FLDS, and no mainstream member of the LDS church is permitted more than one spouse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly..._North_America

Old 10-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Lol. Honestly the exception to the rule in polygamist arrangements are FLDS, the majority claim Christianity or non Christian beliefs. A minority of polygamists claim FLDS, and no mainstream member of the LDS church is permitted more than one spouse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly..._North_America
no.

I've not even met you, and you're trying to change my stereotypes? Who are you?

Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrassmug View Post
no.

I've not even met you, and you're trying to change my stereotypes? Who are you?

Just one crazy kid tryna make it in this crazy world

Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Well... Find me a polygamist family who aren't Mormon fundamentalists, and I'll find you an Arab riding on a magical carpet.
When you use the word "Mormon," people automatically think of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since polygamy is an excommunicable offense in this church, it's kind of misleading to use the word "Mormon fundamentalists." "Members of the FLDS Church" would be a more accurate and less offensive way of putting it.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When you use the word "Mormon," people automatically think of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since polygamy is an excommunicable offense in this church, it's kind of misleading to use the word "Mormon fundamentalists." "Members of the FLDS Church" would be a more accurate and less offensive way of putting it.
Thanks for the info. I'm really concerned about offending people. I feel enlightened, and more tolerant, now.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
All I can say is

Dear America

There is an entire UNIVERSE out there that doesn't even know what polygamy or fundamental Christianity IS.

Let alone Mormonism.

So no, the world view is not shifting. It may seem like it is from Middle USA, but from the outside looking in >>>>nope.
But most of the members who post here are not on the outside looking in. The original question was not about the world view so much as American culture. I think we are changing, and it's relevant to discuss because it matters to the 310+ million who live here, even if we're a small percent of the world's population.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:41 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But most of the members who post here are not on the outside looking in. The original question was not about the world view so much as American culture. I think we are changing, and it's relevant to discuss because it matters to the 310+ million who live here, even if we're a small percent of the world's population.
What's not in the least changing is the individualism that permeates American culture. Polygamy is only possible in collectivist cultures, where people gravitate towards concentrations of power and relax their individual primacy in favor of belonging to the tribe, the band, the collective. The American mainstream would never countenance, let alone endorse, a village-mentality, where all property is held in common, where wives (or husbands) are held in common; or where a few "big men" or chiefs monopolize the women. How many modern Americans would voluntarily say, "My life is shiftless and aimless. I will instead go become a servant at a great estate, spending the entirety of my life tending to the stables or the grounds, without possibility of marrying. In exchange, my lord will take care of my keep, and I'll have a home in my old age".

Old 10-17-2015, 03:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What's not in the least changing is the individualism that permeates American culture. Polygamy is only possible in collectivist cultures, where people gravitate towards concentrations of power and relax their individual primacy in favor of belonging to the tribe, the band, the collective.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Individualism and polygamy are not necessarily mutually exclusive on a cultural level. To a small degree they may be on an individual level (two women agree to share a husband for example) but I think it's quite a jump to say it is only possible on a cultural level in a collectivist minded culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The American mainstream would never countenance, let alone endorse, a village-mentality, where all property is held in common, where wives (or husbands) are held in common; or where a few "big men" or chiefs monopolize the women. How many modern Americans would voluntarily say, "My life is shiftless and aimless. I will instead go become a servant at a great estate, spending the entirety of my life tending to the stables or the grounds, without possibility of marrying. In exchange, my lord will take care of my keep, and I'll have a home in my old age".
I would hope not, but a big part of the American electorate seems to endorse this. Otherwise today's democrat party (and elements of the republican party as well) would not look anything like what we see today. But I'm going to stop there because I find politics too distasteful to discuss at large. Plus this is relationships and anyone who has the stomach for political "conversation" can go over to the P&OC forum. I've long ago stopped tormenting myself with that din.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships