Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Meh, not really. All the states are doing is extending the same rights to gay couples as they do to hetero couples. It's still about a couple, whereas polygamy is not.
In my opinion it's about free will amongst conscenting adults, whether it's Gay marriage or polygamy. It's about what our society as a whole is willing to accept. If you as an individual want to dictate what conscenting adults do you because you are not comfortable with it, you can join the side opposing Gay marriage. The point may be moot in a few years considering the lack of interest marriage.

Quote:
Rape has nothing to do with reproduction, passion, loss of control, or any of that. Indeed, it has nothing to do with sex.

Rape has to do with violence, control, and domination. It is a dehumanizing act meant to relegate the victim to the status of thing. It is about making the rapist feel powerful because he cannot in any other way but through brutality. It is not impulsive: It is a deliberate, methodical act of violence conducted by a psychopath who is incapable of empathy.

Rape Myths and Facts | wellwvu | West Virginia University

The sooner people understand this, the better.
"It is a dehumanizing act meant to relegate the victim to the status of thing. It is about making the rapist feel powerful because he cannot in any other way but through brutality"
Sounds like the perpetuator is more like a rabid animal that needs to be put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,832 times
Quote:
Meh, not really. All the states are doing is extending the same rights to gay couples as they do to hetero couples. It's still about a couple, whereas polygamy is not.

Rape has nothing to do with reproduction, passion, loss of control, or any of that. Indeed, it has nothing to do with sex. Sex is just the tool the perp uses to commit the assault.

Rape has to do with violence, control, and domination. It is a dehumanizing act meant to relegate the victim to the status of thing. It is about making the rapist feel powerful because he cannot in any other way but through brutality. It is not impulsive: It is a deliberate, methodical act of violence conducted by a psychopath who is incapable of empathy.

Rape Myths and Facts | wellwvu | West Virginia University

Sexual Assault Myths

The sooner people understand this, the better.
Some males actually are sexual aroused and rape for gratification purposes. I know universities don't like that, but it is true. Note I said males and not men.. We see it in the animal Kingdom often. Go to YouTube and type Chimp Rapes Frog for an example.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post

"It is a dehumanizing act meant to relegate the victim to the status of thing. It is about making the rapist feel powerful because he cannot in any other way but through brutality"
Sounds like the perpetuator is more like a rabid animal that needs to be put down.
Serial rapists can be like that. Some people feel that way about pedophiles. Why, what were you thinking, a slap on the wrist, some therapy, and they're good to go? Dudes who are so far gone they have no qualms about trashing people's lives as a way of life usually can't be rehabilitated. I'm not saying they should be put down (your words, not mine), but they're serious business, make no mistake. They're sick cookies, and tough ones, too.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Geez, I hope not.

I remember when HBO's "Big Love" first aired and I watched excitedly thinking plural marriages sounded like a really cool idea. I was thinking of all the upside; multiple women to sleep with (better odds that they'd be in the mood on their scheduled nights), different conversations, greater odds of home-cooked meals, etc. Then I watched the first episode and halfway through I turned it off, called my wife on the phone (I was traveling on business at the time), and told her how happy I was that she was my one and only.

Plural marriage is exhausting. It wasn't multiple chances of excitement and romance, it was all of the complexities of marriage multiplied by three. Each wanted their husbands attention, energy and patience and because they had him for only one night at a time, expected that he would always be one hundred percent locked in for them.... every single night. And because they were all aged roughly ten years apart the husband was dealing with things relevant to the wives ages (the twenty year old wanted children and excitement, the thirty year old wanted to material possessions and a bigger, better house and the forty year old wanted to settle down a bit more and try and keep everything working right). It was like time traveling for the guy, but in an ugly, complicated way.

I had never been so happy to go home to my traditional home and marriage.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
No. To some extent i think it's more of a blend of the hook-up and serial monogamy cultures, these days.

I think the preoccupation with cheating on this board is a reflection of the attitudes and experiences of members who fan the flames of fear, reflecting their own, not so pleasant, experiences with cheating spouses.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Nah. Reality TV is there for the shock factor.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Geez, I hope not.

I remember when HBO's "Big Love" first aired and I watched excitedly thinking plural marriages sounded like a really cool idea. I was thinking of all the upside; multiple women to sleep with (better odds that they'd be in the mood on their scheduled nights), different conversations, greater odds of home-cooked meals, etc.
Most dudes couldn't keep going 7 nights per week (ok, we'll give him Sunday off, lol!) for 20 or 30 years, though. Then what happens when he slows down? Or what if the youngest wife wants more of him (and he decides that's ok), and fights start? It's a lifetime migraine waiting to happen.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:43 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Having multiple wives sounds like a complete and utter nightmare. I say this with love as I get along well with Mrs. Chow......

But damn......

Old 03-05-2014, 01:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Nah. Reality TV is there for the shock factor.
Absolutely. Everyone enjoys a freak show.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
In my opinion it's about free will amongst conscenting adults, whether it's Gay marriage or polygamy. It's about what our society as a whole is willing to accept. If you as an individual want to dictate what conscenting adults do you because you are not comfortable with it, you can join the side opposing Gay marriage. The point may be moot in a few years considering the lack of interest marriage.

I think the first step with any criminal should be to take his weapon away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships