Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times

Advertisements

People seem to enjoy watching freaks on realty TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
A man taking two wives when I can't even find one better be prepared to die for his choice...because I'm willing to kill for it.
The argument that "no man should have two until every man has one" doesn't hold water and reeks of entitlement mindset.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that polygamy grew to become socially acceptable. And let's further assume that plural marriages were entered into freely by all parties involved. That would mean all subsequent wives were knowingly and freely choosing to be wife #2, 3, 4, etc. And they would be making that free choice over the alternatives, one of which being they could marry a guy who does not have a wife.

Again, I am not making a case for the practice of polygamy. But I think your reaction to it is inherently flawed. If women are choosing a married man over you, he is not "taking" anything from you at all.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
It certainly seems to be shifting towards it, and a bunch of other stuff, too.

Fast forward thirty years into the future, and see this television show title (for just one show!):

"My Six Sibling Wives, Six Dwarf Husbands, Six Animal Spouses, and Six Transgender Husbands/Wives."

Last edited by picklejuice; 03-04-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
No, I don't think so at all.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
Idk, it still seems super taboo for a man to admit that he is dating 5 different women casually, EVEN MORE SO if a woman admits to be dating 5 different men casually.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If women are choosing a married man over you, he is not "taking" anything from you at all.
You're talking to a gender that will rape to pass on its genes.
Civility doesn't come into play.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don't really care if some guy wants 5 wives. As long as he can take care of them financially and emotionally more power to him.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
You're talking to a gender that will rape to pass on its genes.
Civility doesn't come into play.
Genders don't rape, individuals do. Hopefully yours wasn't a hint at the lengths you'll go to get your way.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't really care if some guy wants 5 wives. As long as he can take care of them financially and emotionally more power to him.
In polygamist communities, there is a huge government fraud going on. The man is only legally married to one wife. The rest of the wives are on government assistance. Even that TV Reality show about the Browns fails to disclose that every one of the wives has filed bankruptcy, etc. If you really dig into this you will find that the men are not supporting their wives or their children for the most part.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Genders don't rape, individuals do. Hopefully yours wasn't a hint at the lengths you'll go to get your way.
The biological urge to reproduce won't be quelled by a rational argument like the one you presented...evidenced by the fact that that urge has led millions of men to rape, an irrational act really.

Trust me, on a daily basis I fear the lengths I would go to get my way.

Luckily...the world is much more forgiving, so it'll remain a moot point.

And yeah...a certain gender is more prone to rape than the other. Just because it's an uncomfortable fact...it doesn't make it any less of one. But go on...appeal to that gender's morality.

Whereas some men might not react to the hypothetical at all...some would, and not in ideal ways. Facts.

So, it's good then that the hypothetical remain just that, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships