Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,857,290 times

Advertisements

Just because they're having marital issues, doesn't mean they don't still actually love each other, now does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Just because they may have a bad marriage doesn't mean they don't love each other; or, they may do it as a politeness to other people around them.

Either way, it's not really any of your business. If you're looking for something to rile you up why not pick world hunger or something?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The phrase, "I love you" is over used with many couples. If you have to say it all the time, you likely don't really mean it or you say it to be excused for bad behavior in your marriage. The people who really bug me insist on ending every phone call with the statement, "I love you."

I know for a fact that some of my relatives and friends have terrible marriages, but they are saying, "I love you" to their spouse all the time.

Talk is cheap, actions are not!
I don't think it is your place to decide how other people should address their spouses.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
That's why my wife and I call each other a **** and ******** at the end of every phone call.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
I have a great loving relationship with my wife and don't have to say it all the time. If I said it 10 times a day would that make me a better husband?
If my husband said it less to me, would that make him a better husband?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
And who are you to determine that so many of your friends and family have "bad marriages"? Given your propensity for continually complaining and criticizing others they likely (if they even give a toss) think yours must be pretty horrible. I can't imagine how living with you and your constant harping could translate to a "great loving relationship" with your wife unless she's been wearing earplugs for years.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I have a great loving relationship with my wife and don't have to say it all the time. If I said it 10 times a day would that make me a better husband?
I read that in Scandinavia, the husband typically says "I love you" once to his wife or live-in SO. Once, that's it. The reasoning is that there's no need to repeat it, or say anything more, unless there's a change in status. When asked about this by researchers, Swedes typically say, "When I stop loving her, I'll tell her. But if there's no change, there's no need to repeat it."

You can't beat the logic. Try it, OP, and see how well your relationship does.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And who are you to determine that so many of your friends and family have "bad marriages"? Given your propensity for continually complaining and criticizing others they likely (if they even give a toss) think yours must be pretty horrible. I can't imagine how living with you and your constant harping could translate to a "great loving relationship" with your wife unless she's been wearing earplugs for years.
A, She is a fictional character. B, just as miserable as the op. C, she tuned him out decades ago.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
You know, I say "I love you" to my husband everytime we speak on the phone for the simple reason that it just might be the last time we ever speak.

I do the same to my sibling and my mother. My mother and I have not had the best relationship, and phone calls are rare, but when they happen I say "I love you." Because I do.

Mind your own business, OP. I hope that you have someone in your life to hear those three words.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
they are trying to live the truth by at least declaring it. i dont see an abundance of love expressed verbally or otherwise with married people. i have only been celibate once in my life, when married. i think married people are like employees that went from temp to perm. they immediately develop attitude and began to sluff off their obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships