Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is still true, but at least when my brother was serving, History of mood disorders requiring outpatient care for longer than 6 months by a physician or other mental health professional, or inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility is automatic disqualifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
18 years of firefighting, along with 13 years of dispatching and law enforcement I have some thoughts. I should type this from my computer and not a tablet. Anyway, military and law enforcement spend much of their careers in a hyper state of vigilance. They see the worst of the worst day in and day out. They maintain that state, the pendulum swings fast the other direction leading to depressed states. Managing the swings helps to maintain good physical health and mental health.

It is partly why law enforcement has higher rates of divorce and health issues. Learning to mange that stress is difficult. I try to keep my work life and personal life separate but, it seems to follow along. I attempt to treat everyone fairly and with respect. When I do have to take enforcement action I try to do so in a way that they can walk away holding their head up high.
Can't really argue with this post at all, very balanced stuff.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You're a very intelligent and good guy.
Only on certain days.

All joking aside, thank you.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
18 years of firefighting, along with 13 years of dispatching and law enforcement I have some thoughts. I should type this from my computer and not a tablet. Anyway, military and law enforcement spend much of their careers in a hyper state of vigilance. They see the worst of the worst day in and day out. They maintain that state, the pendulum swings fast the other direction leading to depressed states. Managing the swings helps to maintain good physical health and mental health.

It is partly why law enforcement has higher rates of divorce and health issues. Learning to mange that stress is difficult. I try to keep my work life and personal life separate but, it seems to follow along. I attempt to treat everyone fairly and with respect. When I do have to take enforcement action I try to do so in a way that they can walk away holding their head up high.
I definitely appreciate guys that do these jobs, much like the military, I got a lot of respect for men that do the tough jobs. I always have the back of cops same goes for firefighters, EMT's and the like.

I have always supported our military vets I thank my lucky stars that we have the brave men and women that have the courage and conviction to protect our freedoms and liberties and to do the sacrifices and the hard work.

Thanks to all of the men of service.........

Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Can't really argue with this post at all, very balanced stuff.
Managing stress and the depressed swings becomes important. Physical activity and a hobby or activity are great for mental, emotional and physical well being.

For me, I divorced, transferred duty stations, changed jobs three years later. I remarried, moved to a place I like, lost 85 pounds and developed healthy habits. My new job is a thinking game where I am learning new things all the time, the hours are better than before as a dispatcher.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Quote:

Man, you sound like my brother. He wears so many hats in the first responder field and everything you wrote is dead on.

Now...pile 5 kids on there.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Managing stress and the depressed swings becomes important. Physical activity and a hobby or activity are great for mental, emotional and physical well being.

For me, I divorced, transferred duty stations, changed jobs three years later. I remarried, moved to a place I like, lost 85 pounds and developed healthy habits. My new job is a thinking game where I am learning new things all the time, the hours are better than before as a dispatcher.
We often recognize the service members for the sacrifices they make, but sometimes we forget about the sacrifices their children and whole family make. We thank the service men and women who serve our country when we see them. I do believe we should start appreciating the sacrifices our police officers, fire fighters, are making on daily basis as well.

I am not really religious, but I really like a prayer I heard a long time ago,

"Dear Lord Jesus Christ, we give you praise and thanksgiving for all the first responders and military personnel in our communities around the world who bravely serve to protect us from harm. Be with them tonight and protect them always as they continue their diligence on the streets and battlefields. We ask Our Blessed Mother to always be their Mother ready to protect them. For those who have given their lives, we ask that their families are healed and protected from more harm. Amen."

It doesn't matter if we swing left or right, it certainly doesn't matter if we believe in Jesus or God, being kind to your fellow citizen is never a bad thing.

I have a little bit change of heart about OP, I would say Go for it girl, don't let anybody stopping you from loving a man in uniform. =)

Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Man, you sound like my brother. He wears so many hats in the first responder field and everything you wrote is dead on.

Now...pile 5 kids on there.
Uffda.

It is what I do, I love what I do. It isn't about being brave. However, I do have a strong type A personality.

The worst moment was an officer involved shooting. The officer didn't get to go home. That was my hardest struggle. It almost was a career ender for me. Even though I did everything I could, it took me realizing that my actions could not change the outcome. However, it did prevent others from becoming hurt and it kept the situation from becoming worse.

It came to a point that I had to walk away from the whole situation. Change my circle of friends, find something else to do on the anniversary of the incident.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Yeah. My brother almost ended firefighting after finding the remains of a family huddled together right in the begining of his career. It took him down pretty hard, but he also has a strong type A personality.

My hats off to you guys. I'm a first responder in a foundry, but I'm not likely to run into thinks like that.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:

Just addressing the part I put in bold. Although the statistics are there to support what you've stated I know that there are still many couples who marry and stay married. Retired LEO here with over 30 years in LE working nights, weekends, holidays and so on. My wife and I met in high school and we waited to marry after she finished college. I'd already been a police officer for 3 years at this point. We've now been together over 36 years total. I worked with plenty of officers who did go through divorces but I also worked with plenty who have been married for a long time with no signs of slowing down. Just wanted to point out that a relationship with someone in a uniform is not a sure sign of a divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships