Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am going to ask you if you want me to give you politically correct answer, or the truth.

Reality is that combat Marines are always sent to hot area, (no matter how much others want to deny this, it is the God damn truth) the likelihood of death is pretty high.
They might come back suffering from PTSD, their whole personalities might change. Many women will not tolerate it, and they will accuse them of not contributing anything to the household.
Their marriages are not stable due to various of problems. It is a challenge for them to transfer back to civilian world. Most of the girlfriends and wives don't like to talk about their military experiences.

Many of my girlfriends have this romantic fantasy about military guys, especially combat vets, especially special force guys like my brother. I talk about my fantasy on this forum a lot, but in reality, I will never get married to a special force guy like my brother. My heart cannot handle it. I will never date or marry a combat vet. You have to live it to know what it is like. It is hell
Well, I can imagine what the negative things are for the wives/gf's, but you said twice that it's not good for them (the man on active duty during combat). I'm wondering why you think it's not good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
My brother was telling me last month that my nephew decided not to go to the Army and how elated he was. He was so elated, that he payed his full tuition to a University, bought him a new car, and get this....a home of his own (all payed in cash). He said it well worth every penny.
If I had that kind of cash, and had children who were deciding on whether or not they wanted to join the military: I would never try to sway there decision in either direction, and I would 100% support there decision if they chose military, or any decision because it's there life, but if they chose a different path I'd sleep much better at night knowing that my kids were not being thrown into harms way with a legitimate chance of dying just because you took 5 steps out of your door in the morning.

There's always a chance that you can die everyday, but the thought of one of my children exploding half-way around the world, and the only thing I get back from him is his dog tags or anything that told me that it was in fact my son is an experience I don't ever want to experience and I don't know what I'd do.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Well, I can imagine what the negative things are for the wives/gf's, but you said twice that it's not good for them (the man on active duty during combat). I'm wondering why you think it's not good for them.

well, for one, if the wife all of sudden decided to divorce them, most of them will be screwed. Their combat pay, pension whatever is really not that high. My friend (active duty combat Marine soon to be vet E5) I think his combat pay (I am not sure if this is the correct term) is only $500 /month or so, he also has $2,000 / month pension (?) He's also 100% disabled. Approximately $3,000 / month for the rest of his life sounds good, but He has two kids. If his wife divorced him, a good portion of the money will go to the woman, child support. He will be pretty much screwed. (I would have to ask him to get the accurate number, I don't know the number for sure.)

Plus, combat Marines do not need normal relationship ups and downs. It is bs.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-18-2014 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
well, for one, if the wife all of sudden decided to divorce them, most of them will be screwed. Their combat pay, pension whatever is really not that high. My friend (active duty combat vet E5) I think his combat pay (I am not sure if this is the correct term) is only $500 /month or so, he also has $2,000 / month pension (?) He's also 100% disabled. Approximately $3,000 / month for the rest of his life sounds good, but He has two kids. If his wife divorced him, a good portion of the money will go to the woman, child support. He will be pretty much screwed.

Interesting points. Never thought about that. Maybe you're right. The human side of me thinks they still need love too though, but I don't know. Thanks for the perspective though, Lily.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If I had that kind of cash, and had children who were deciding on whether or not they wanted to join the military: I would never try to sway there decision in either direction, and I would 100% support there decision if they chose military, or any decision because it's there life, but if they chose a different path I'd sleep much better at night knowing that my kids were not being thrown into harms way with a legitimate chance of dying just because you took 5 steps out of your door in the morning.

There's always a chance that you can die everyday, but the thought of one of my children exploding half-way around the world, and the only thing I get back from him is his dog tags or anything that told me that it was in fact my son is an experience I don't ever want to experience and I don't know what I'd do.

I don't know how I'd react. I have a tremendous respect for our service members. The politicians who dodged their own duty with deferments who then send them into harm's way over what I feel to be absolutely worthless causes and b.s. based on a pack of lies so they can line their own pockets, not so much. (There's an entire presidential administration I'd like to see tried for treason and war crimes.) So I'd like to say I'd respect a son or daughter's decision to sign up, but I'd probably be worried sick should they deploy, and I'd question why they wanted to do it at this particular moment in history.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I don't know how I'd react. I have a tremendous respect for our service members. The politicians who dodged their own duty with deferments who then send them into harm's way over what I feel to be absolutely worthless causes and b.s. based on a pack of lies so they can line their own pockets (there's an entire presidential administration I'd like to see tried for treason and war crimes), not so much. So I'd like to say I'd respect a son or daughter's decision to sign up, but I'd probably be worried sick should they deploy, and I'd question why they wanted to do it at this particular moment in history.
If anything, I'd rather see them join the National Guard or maybe the Air Force. I have several family members who went into the AF and didn't have to worry too much about getting deployed anywhere dangerous. Seems like the AF is the safest of the branches.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 PM

92 posts, read 101,817 times
I don't know why. I'd be worried I'd receive notice that they died on duty. There are a lot of brave men who aren't in such dangerous lines of work. I go for those types. Only you can answer why you go for the former.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
well, for one, if the wife all of sudden decided to divorce them, most of them will be screwed. Their combat pay, pension whatever is really not that high. My friend (active duty combat vet E5) I think his combat pay (I am not sure if this is the correct term) is only $500 /month or so, he also has $2,000 / month pension (?) He's also 100% disabled. Approximately $3,000 / month for the rest of his life sounds good, but He has two kids. If his wife divorced him, a good portion of the money will go to the woman, child support. He will be pretty much screwed. (I would have to ask him to get the accurate number, I don't know the number for sure.)

Also its even more difficult to place yourself in harms way when you have a girlfriend or wife your thinking about. The stress of being away from girlfriends and wives can be very difficult if your a grunt, soldier or sailor some

Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
are deployed for as long as 9mths or longer. Its really long time if your dating or married to worry about relationships.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If anything, I'd rather see them join the National Guard or maybe the Air Force. I have several family members who went into the AF and didn't have to worry too much about getting deployed anywhere dangerous. Seems like the AF is the safest of the branches.
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships