Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, I'm not one for moderation. All in

It's a tremendous thing. It isn't even that women care that I can lift more, or lost 10#, or whatever... I don't think they do. It's that I feel better about me, and when I feel good about me people pick up on that. It makes a huge difference. Slumping people that don't feel good about themselves and how they look are not attractive.

When I don't go to the gym and I start losing my muscle it affects me negatively and I start becoming a lazier person.

Exercise is one of the most important things a person can do for their own mental health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People who go on and on about their "anxiety" typically are not looking for help, they are only looking for sympathy

These days, everyone who gets upset is depressed and everyone who feels uncomfortable has social anxiety. I'm not denying that anxiety and depression are very serious... but it seems like everyone uses it for an excuse instead of trying to get over it.
YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

What used to be considered situational shyness or nervousness is now a full blown psychological diagnosis. And what better way to play the victim and find lazy reasons to never have to work on changing?

It is rampant on these boards and it makes me ill.

Who handed out all these crutches, and why are young men so willing to accept them?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
And yet despite all these negatives, I deserve much better than these "plain women."
Attitude goes along way, in our society we are often too focused on "what are we going to get or what we are going to get out it or i deserve etc" Instead maybe we should be asking ourselves at each side "what are we bringing to the table or what can we bring" if we did this more, i believe we wouldn't have any problems finding someone we deserve or having bad results in relationships. Less "I" more "We".

Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
People who go on and on about their "anxiety" typically are not looking for help, they are only looking for sympathy

These days, everyone who gets upset is depressed and everyone who feels uncomfortable has social anxiety. I'm not denying that anxiety and depression are very serious... but it seems like everyone uses it for an excuse instead of trying to get over it.
It's not that easy to cure one self of depression and anxiety. I used to be much more depressed than I am now. It's something you tackle little by little.

I have depression out of trauma, and my social anxiety comes from a lack of social skills which was due to the fact that I turned to isolation to limit exposure to bullying and abuse.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
When I don't go to the gym and I start losing my muscle it affects me negatively and I start becoming a lazier person.

Exercise is one of the most important things a person can do for their own mental health.
And the OP should remember that he doesn't have to exercise in a gym if that's not his bag (and it might not be if he's that socially anxious.) Take up tennis. Buy a bike and ride it everywhere. Train for a 5K. Get exercise videos on YouTube. Whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Who handed out all these crutches, and why are young men so willing to accept them?
I wonder if this is the end result of the "everyone's a winner" sort of helicopter parenting. There's a whole generation of young people who always got a part in the play or a position on the team and a trophy for just showing up. They've never been told no, they don't know how to deal with consequences, and they don't know how to advocate for themselves.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Fully agree, I don't know how many people that I've been friends with that have been on depression meds for years (dysthymia) and once they got into exercising regularly. Making it part of their daily routine, they've been able to get off them.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It's not that easy to cure one self of depression and anxiety. I used to be much more depressed than I am now. It's something you tackle little by little.

I have depression out of trauma, and my social anxiety comes from a lack of social skills which was due to the fact that I turned to isolation to limit exposure to bullying and abuse.
Yeah understandable but first you have got to stop abusing yourself, change your selftalk, change your life. Simple.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

Never said it was easy, but if you don't start making some changes in your life you will be 35 years old, 500+ pounds and even more depressed.

Most of us on this board have probably gone through periods of anxiety. If you don't get over it or put all of your effort into it, you'll end up passing 10 years by in isolation asking yourself why you just wasted a good portion of the only life you'll get.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

It's easier to blame and point fingers or just complain, than to work and fix a bad situation. Emotional, physical and intellectual laziness permeates our culture at nearly all levels.

Completely gross.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:49 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

What used to be considered situational shyness or nervousness is now a full blown psychological diagnosis. And what better way to play the victim and find lazy reasons to never have to work on changing?

It is rampant on these boards and it makes me ill.

If you have to ask that...

I think it's due to a lack of a father figure.

And it's ignorant to say that we never work on changing. There are people who get out depression and recover from poor mental health. It's not easy and not overnight, though, and in the mean time ranting about the problem makes life temporarily feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships