Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,822,829 times

Advertisements

OK, so you have a bike, and you live 8 miles from town. Why have you never applied for a job? Why do you go nowhere but home and school (driven by your parents)?

So much for your rant about being car-independent!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 PM

746 posts, read 869,572 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I'm just saying why does the guy always have to pick up the women? Yeah it's nice but why does it always have to be the guy? I'm going to guess cause when you ask someone out you should pick them up (unless you take a cab or something) and women don't usually ask men out right?

Surely there are women who understand when a guy doesn't drive (due to anxiety, money, etc.) and it doesn't affect anything between them. I know a couple (they might not be ACTUALLY married yet, I don't know then too good, but they live together and have two kids) and the women is too scared to drive so her partner (or husband) drives her around. They must love each other if they're still together. What's the difference if its the guy who's too scared to drive? What if both the man and woman are too scared to drive?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-29-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM

778 posts, read 827,309 times
What I said has nothing to do with who drives and everything to do with the way you responded to someone else.

As I said at the start, don't be shocked if you get an answer you don't like. Someone gave you an answer you didn't like, and you immediately resort to calling them "Stupid and shallow", if I remember correctly.

Not every person is going to want to date someone who is carless, who refuses to drive, or who is dealing with anxiety. This does not make them stupid or shallow. It makes them realistic and honest about their expectations in a relationship. Responding to that by insulting them, however, makes you look petty and defensive, which is not at all flattering.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I and other posters have told you a dozen times, dude: do not worry about a relationship right now. Do not focus on how appealing you are to the opposite sex or where you should move to get a girl.

Focus on dealing with your anxiety and your living situation and school. Focus on getting a job or something else to get you out of the house.

You may find that in doing all of that, you automatically become a more appealing person to hang around. It worked for me.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
What I said has nothing to do with who drives and everything to do with the way you responded to someone else.

As I said at the start, don't be shocked if you get an answer you don't like. Someone gave you an answer you didn't like, and you immediately resort to calling them "Stupid and shallow", if I remember correctly.

Not every person is going to want to date someone who is carless, who refuses to drive, or who is dealing with anxiety. This does not make them stupid or shallow. It makes them realistic and honest about their expectations in a relationship. Responding to that by insulting them, however, makes you look petty and defensive, which is not at all flattering.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I and other posters have told you a dozen times, dude: do not worry about a relationship right now. Do not focus on how appealing you are to the opposite sex or where you should move to get a girl.

Focus on dealing with your anxiety and your living situation and school. Focus on getting a job or something else to get you out of the house.

You may find that in doing all of that, you automatically become a more appealing person to hang around. It worked for me.
So you think I won't be able to get any woman until I drive (assuming self driving cars don't become an option).

So I can't get a good woman unless I can operate a vehicle? (Again assuming humans still HAVE to operate cars). That makes me very sad.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,095,802 times
As stated, SOME people aren't going to date a person who has no car, but obviously not ALL people.

Not driving is simply ONE criteria of many (others being looks, personality, job, hobbies, etc, etc) that people consider when choosing who they want to date. Each one of those aspects will attract or drive away a certain number of people. For example, there are a certain number of people who probably won't pursue a loud talkative person just because it's not their preference. That doesn't mean a loud talkative person won't be able to find someone to date.

Your problem is that you're making the fact you don't drive absolutely define you. To be honest, it sounds like you could use some therapy and work on yourself for a little while. Whether or not you drive a car is not the issue. It's the anxiety, obsessiveness, etc. Work on those and ideally you'll find a girl, with or without a car - and it won't be a big deal.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
As stated, SOME people aren't going to date a person who has no car, but obviously not ALL people.

Not driving is simply ONE criteria of many (others being looks, personality, job, hobbies, etc, etc) that people consider when choosing who they want to date. Each one of those aspects will attract or drive away a certain number of people. For example, there are a certain number of people who probably won't pursue a loud talkative person just because it's not their preference. That doesn't mean a loud talkative person won't be able to find someone to date.

Your problem is that you're making the fact you don't drive absolutely define you. To be honest, it sounds like you could use some therapy and work on yourself for a little while. Whether or not you drive a car is not the issue. It's the anxiety, obsessiveness, etc. Work on those and ideally you'll find a girl, with or without a car - and it won't be a big deal.
My dad thinks if I don't drive that I won't be able to be successful in life. My mom may or may not think that, she won't stop saying we should go driving though.

So it makes me feel like driving is actually the most important thing in life and at least somewhat defines who I am.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,095,802 times
Tell all the fly honeys that you're going green and prefer to walk, ride a bike, or take public transportation everywhere. Problem solved. You don't have to drive and they'll admire you for caring about the environment!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Tell all the fly honeys that you're going green and prefer to walk, ride a bike, or take public transportation everywhere. Problem solved. You don't have to drive and they'll admire you for caring about the environment!
I gotta move to be able to live like that. Where could I go besides NYC or California? Probably no where in Texas, right? I'm not moving to Austin either.

And we really do need a fuel alternative. Our cars are shooting so much pollution into the air, like they're all just constantly farting and poisoning the planet.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,252,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I gotta move to be able to live like that. Where could I go besides NYC or California? Probably no where in Texas, right? I'm not moving to Austin either.
There are walkable urban neighborhoods in cities other than Austin in TX.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
There are walkable urban neighborhoods in cities other than Austin in TX.
Like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships