Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 08:27 PM

818 posts, read 919,503 times

Advertisements

I would run from anybody that didn't want to meet at an ice cream place. ( first time ) Its perfect. most are not overly busy. You can go in and sit down without waiting and you don't have to spend a cent if she / he shows up and looks 20 years older than the posted pics. ( been there done that LOL )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,752,874 times
An ice cream parlor would be a turnoff for me as a first date. I think it does sound a bit juvenile - I haven't had an ice cream date since sophomore year of high school.

I'd also wonder if the person inviting me had religious or moral issues about alcohol.

I'm not an ice cream fan; if I'm going to consume a massive amount of fat & calories, it's going to be something that I love. Others are lactose intolerant, dieting/watching their cholesterol, or may have teeth sensitive to cold.

Plus, ice cream parlors are often noisy, chaotic places, filled with loud children and sticky tables/chairs. Not an ideal environment for a date in my book. I'd be worried I was going to sit in a patch of melted strawberry swirl or ruin my purse when someone trips and dribbles hot fudge all over the place.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
An ice cream parlor would be a turnoff for me as a first date. I think it does sound a bit juvenile - I haven't had an ice cream date since sophomore year of high school.

I'd also wonder if the person inviting me had religious or moral issues about alcohol.

I'm not an ice cream fan; if I'm going to consume a massive amount of fat & calories, it's going to be something that I love. Others are lactose intolerant, dieting/watching their cholesterol, or may have teeth sensitive to cold.

Plus, ice cream parlors are often noisy, chaotic places, filled with loud children and sticky tables/chairs. Not an ideal environment for a date in my book. I'd be worried I was going to sit in a patch of melted strawberry swirl or ruin my purse when someone trips and dribbles hot fudge all over the place.
lol! Wow, I never knew ice cream parlors were so hazardous!

I still don't see much difference between an ice cream date and a coffee date. If the invitee doesn't want ice cream, he or she can just order coffee, or something else. The soda fountains I've been to have mainly adult patrons, and a few teens. No screaming kids. It all depends on the venue. Bakeries are also a good choice.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,104,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
I'm not sure why you think she's looking for a free meal since she didn't ask you to pay.

On the other hand, I really don't see the value of her response even if she was both lactose intolerant and trying to count calories. I think that there are options for lactose intolerant folks, such as sherbet. I also think there are options for those looking to count calories. Like fruit edibles or diet drinks. I've never been to an ice cream place that didn't offer diet diet drinks, low sugar, low calorie or lactose free goodies.

I'd seriously wonder at what kind of relationship I could have with someone who took that type of stand for the first proposed meeting. Feels kind of... high maintenance already.

The bulk of females here seem to think that there's nothing wrong with ice cream and a walk in the summer. After all... plenty of gals who time their shaving rituals with winter parking restrictions eat ice cream and take walks in January.

Sherbet contains dairy (one of the main ingredients), last I checked anyway and "ice cream alternatives" are gross and full of chemicals. Just an FYI.

At any rate, it seems to me the issue was her response. I'm sure if she was a bit more gracious, even if she didn't care for his suggestion, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 PM

527 posts, read 601,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
So meeting for Ice Cream on a summer day is now considered a "teen activity"?
I'm curious about your use of the word "now," since that implies that there was a time when meeting for ice cream was NOT a teen activity. When was that time, exactly? 1920?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,694,162 times
Will from the movie "Good Will Hunting" suggested to his date that they get together and eat a bunch of caramels. He said "If you think about it, it's just as arbitrary as going out for coffee".

Sounds good to me. *shugs*

Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
At any rate, it seems to me the issue was her response. I'm sure if she was a bit more gracious, even if she didn't care for his suggestion, it wouldn't have been a problem.
It really isn't that hard to politely decline, and suggest an alternative. The OP dodged a bullet.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 PM

527 posts, read 601,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Sherbet contains dairy (one of the main ingredients)
Some do and some don't. The common ingredients are water, fruit, and sugar.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I met this woman on OKC the other night and she was not too excited about my first meet suggestion and was like..........."I;m not in high school anymore" and would rather go to dinner and a movie?

So only teens like to sit outside on a nice summer day and eat ice cream? Have you ever heard of something so silly? How does she know that ice cream meeting would not lead to dinner if things were flowing the right way? She clearly is hungry and looking for a free meal
She probably thinks you are too cheap to take her out on a "real" date. That doesn't mean you are. It just means she may have gotten that impression. Frankly, I myself would never ask a grown woman out for ice cream as a first date, for that very reason. It really does seem more appropriate for teenagers.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,104,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It really isn't that hard to politely decline, and suggest an alternative. The OP dodged a bullet.
Exactly! She sounded like a big ol' needy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Some do and some don't. The common ingredients are water, fruit, and sugar.
You might be thinking of sorbet? Commercially made sherbet typically contains dairy and if one is lactose intolerant and on a date, it wouldn't be a wise choice. They may be spending more time in the restroom than with their actual date!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships