Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am sitting here shaking my head at this question.
Does there need to be an explanation in regards to this?
I wonder how many are going to appreciate this question that they happen to over hear being asked about their son or daughter.

To stay within the topic of the thread though I will say that some actually do not think like this about another person they see.
Not everyone has the main focus of their lives entrenched in the need to have sex with as many people as possible or to even be in a relationship.
Their lives are focused on other areas and if they are in a relationship it is great if they are not in a relationship it is also great.

Dateable or doable? Seriously?
And yet it continues to be something that men (and some women) think about and mention on this board.

These are categories that people put one another in. It's something that happens, like it or not, fair or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
I wonder how many are going to appreciate this question that they happen to over hear being asked about their son or daughter.

To stay within the topic of the thread though I will say that some actually do not think like this about another person they see.
Not everyone has the main focus of their lives entrenched in the need to have sex with as many people as possible or to even be in a relationship.
Their lives are focused on other areas and if they are in a relationship it is great if they are not in a relationship it is also great.

Apparently yes.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:

I agree with your post, and this morning I actually thought something similar to the bolded, but rather how would you feel to know your sister or mother was being objectified this way? It seems there are many guys here (I will never call them men) who are unable to view women as actual people with feelings, not just orifices for their pleasure.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
For me, doable is always dateable, but dateable is not always doable.
Wait, What?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Why cant a girl be date-able and doable after marriage?!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
It's not a question of that it has to be explained. It's called a discussion. Everyone has different opinions on what they view as dateable vs. doable.

I can't believe it has to be explained that I'm asking about criteria for one vs. the other. Could you maybe participate in one thread where you don't act like a jerk?
What is there to discuss? If a dude says a chicks is "doable" it means he's willing to sleep with her, but doesn't think highly of here.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with your post, and this morning I actually thought something similar to the bolded, but rather how would you feel to know your sister or mother was being objectified this way? It seems there are many guys here (I will never call them men) who are unable to view women as actual people with feelings, not just orifices for their pleasure.
See now, this is kind of the point of my post.

Women do it too, but I think to a lesser extent, and as Thursday007 stated, it's more likely looking at celebrities or something like that. It's more fantasy based.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
What is there to discuss? If a dude says a chicks is "doable" it means he's willing to sleep with her, but doesn't think highly of here.
And the question is, why? What criteria makes him not think highly of her?

Appearance? Attitude? Some people had no problem answering this question.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
"Dateable" vs. "Doable" is really just an updated phrasing of the old "madonna" vs. "w***e" dichotomy.

A "dateable" woman is usually a woman who is modest, submissive and sexually receptive. Datebable women are viewed as being worthy of consideration as full human beings.

A "doable" woman is usually a women who is boisterous, independent and sexually assertive. Doable women are viewed as sluts only worthy of being used and objectified.

It is a profoundly sexist way to evaluate women.
Yes everthing today is sexist, racist, misogynistic, homophobic, blah, blah, blah. People are no longer able to express themslevs without the P.C. police coming in.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
And the question is, why? What criteria makes him not think highly of her?

Appearance? Attitude? Some people had no problem answering this question.

To me, it has nothing to do with thinking highly of a person or not.

With someone I want to date I want the entire package. Physical attraction, chemistry, we get along in lifestyles, like talking to each other, doing things or not doing things (just chilling) with each other.

The doable side is a person I'm physically attracted to enough to have sex with and her with me.

It's that simple. There isn't anything "wrong" or anything that I don't think "highly" of... we're just not a match for a relationship.

That's fine. Not everything needs to be a serious relationship. That certainly goes both ways. I doubt many of the women that have taken me home or had a fling with me thought of me as boyfriend material either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships