Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,807 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this thread can stay PG-13, although the title may already have exceeded those boundaries.

There's been some talk in various threads about how men classify women as someone who they would just sleep with, as opposed to someone with whom they would date and pursue a relationship.

I think women have these classifications as well, although we are less likely to pursue just sex vs a relationship. Maybe.

What makes the difference? Is it appearance? General attitude? Chemistry? Or something else that is undefinable but you know it in your gut?

I think, for me, it comes down to a certain chemistry. There are guys I know who I could say "okay, sleeping with him would probably be hot," yet I wouldn't pursue a relationship with them because our personalities wouldn't jive. It's not always about looks either; there are certain guys who may not be traditionally good looking, yet seem sexy to me. Still, I wouldn't pursue a relationship with them because our personalities wouldn't mesh.

However--and correct me if I am wrong, because I know this sounds sexist and I apologize beforehand--I have a sneaking suspicion that for most guys, it comes down to looks and they don't even think about the personality part of things.

Yes? No? Maybe so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
For my definition purpose (as a woman).

"Doable" means you just look at a person, could even be a celebrity photo or something, and you know absolutely nothing about them or their personality and say, "Eh, he's doable." It's more of a physical thing. We use it in more of a joking manner. Also, you'd invest one night with them.

"Dateable" means you know more about them and their personality and there's some chemistry or interest in them and you'd like to invest the time in dating them to get to know them better.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,506 times
it depends on what she's got;
Just appearence without chemistry, intelligence etc = just sex
Or if she lives far away or something else that makes meeting often a hassle.
A basic rule of thumb is, if I still want to be with a woman after ejaculation, then we could try dating, otherwise that was all I wanted. (I don't always know until that preassure is gone)

Datable;
Someone I both find sexy and could see myself enjoy spending time with after the initial fireworks are over.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
It could be a #of things for me when it comes to doable. But it's usually age, attitude, and yes, appearance; chemistry...blah.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
I can't believe this has to be explain. Doable=somebody you're willing to sleep with. Dateable=wife material.

Single moms: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Unattractive women: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Promiscuous women: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Much older women: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Women who smoke: doable? No. Dateable? No.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,591 times
"Dateable" vs. "Doable" is really just an updated phrasing of the old "madonna" vs. "w***e" dichotomy.

A "dateable" woman is usually a woman who is modest, submissive and sexually receptive. Datebable women are viewed as being worthy of consideration as full human beings.

A "doable" woman is usually a women who is boisterous, independent and sexually assertive. Doable women are viewed as sluts only worthy of being used and objectified.

It is a profoundly sexist way to evaluate women.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,982 times
How is this even a question?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
For me, doable is always dateable, but dateable is not always doable.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I can't believe this has to be explain. Doable=somebody you're willing to sleep with. Dateable=wife material.

Single moms: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Unattractive women: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Promiscuous women: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Much older women: doable? Yes. Dateable? No.

Women who smoke: doable? No. Dateable? No.
It's not a question of that it has to be explained. It's called a discussion. Everyone has different opinions on what they view as dateable vs. doable.

I can't believe it has to be explained that I'm asking about criteria for one vs. the other. Could you maybe participate in one thread where you don't act like a jerk?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
I am sitting here shaking my head at this question.
Does there need to be an explanation in regards to this?
I wonder how many are going to appreciate this question that they happen to over hear being asked about their son or daughter.

To stay within the topic of the thread though I will say that some actually do not think like this about another person they see.
Not everyone has the main focus of their lives entrenched in the need to have sex with as many people as possible or to even be in a relationship.
Their lives are focused on other areas and if they are in a relationship it is great if they are not in a relationship it is also great.

Dateable or doable? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships