Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No wonder it is so hard to communicate here.
No one but you seems to be having trouble in this thread. The rest of us are understanding each other pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM

374 posts, read 393,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Hopefully this thread can stay PG-13, although the title may already have exceeded those boundaries.

There's been some talk in various threads about how men classify women as someone who they would just sleep with, as opposed to someone with whom they would date and pursue a relationship.

I think women have these classifications as well, although we are less likely to pursue just sex vs a relationship. Maybe.

What makes the difference? Is it appearance? General attitude? Chemistry? Or something else that is undefinable but you know it in your gut?

I think, for me, it comes down to a certain chemistry. There are guys I know who I could say "okay, sleeping with him would probably be hot," yet I wouldn't pursue a relationship with them because our personalities wouldn't jive. It's not always about looks either; there are certain guys who may not be traditionally good looking, yet seem sexy to me. Still, I wouldn't pursue a relationship with them because our personalities wouldn't mesh.

However--and correct me if I am wrong, because I know this sounds sexist and I apologize beforehand--I have a sneaking suspicion that for most guys, it comes down to looks and they don't even think about the personality part of things.

Yes? No? Maybe so?
So I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm just going to post my thoughts here.

When I was single there really was a difference between "doable" and "datable".

Doable, I didnt really care about the girl's past, her goals for the future, what she did for a living, or anything like that. Doable means she looks good and I'd love to roll around in the hay with her. If that meant when we were done, then we were done, no big deal.

Datable, someone I could bring home to mom and dad. Someone that had goals, wasnt trash, and knew what they wanted in life. Oh, and a non smoker.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times
Eh. One more reason to be glad I don't date.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
So I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm just going to post my thoughts here.

Doable, I didnt really care about the girl's past, her goals for the future, what she did for a living, or anything like that. Doable means she looks good and I'd love to roll around in the hay with her. If that meant when we were done, then we were done, no big deal.

Datable, someone I could bring home to mom and dad. Someone that had goals, wasnt trash, and knew what they wanted in life. Oh, and a non smoker.
I don't understand this. So ultimately you're saying you would "roll in the hay" with her if she's trash? I just picture you rolling around in a dumpster. Not a good look. You should respect yourself and women more.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post

You hit the nail on the head...for me anyway. I am actually very suprised by the number of people on here that need to find someone dateable in order to do them. I agree that the qualities in a girl stated in your second paragraph have absolutely nothing to do with finding someone doable. I think you lose the fun factor when you start mixing the terms doable and dateable together.

One time in particular when I was young and single, I had a blind date with a smoking hot girl...the date was horrible, we had nothing in common, she was a complete snob and I couldnt wait for the date to be over. I ran into this girl a few months later at a party and ignored her, but somehow at the end of the night we ended up in bed and it was a blast. Never spoke to her again, but just from my experience you definitely do not have to be dateable in order to be doable

Old 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
No one but you seems to be having trouble in this thread. The rest of us are understanding each other pretty well.

Not true if you look at it. Multiple people questioned her statement.

She misunderstood the suffix "able".

Able: fit for or worthy of, or, capable of

If someone is "not doable" they are not fit for or worthy of having sex with, or you're not capable of having sex with them.

There is no reason to date someone (for most people) a that person isn't potentially worthy of having sex with, or you're not capable of having sex with, or they're not fit for sexin

That doesn't mean you'd have sex with everyone that you see as doable, but a person certainly would not have sex with someone that is not doable... so to most people, there is zero reason to date someone not doable.

Unless, of course, they don't understand the word. As happened here... so, the people that were understanding her were misusing the word at the same time. That often happens here.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not true if you look at it. Multiple people questioned her statement.

She misunderstood the suffix "able".

Able: fit for or worthy of, or, capable of

If someone is "not doable" they are not fit for or worthy of having sex with, or you're not capable of having sex with them.

There is no reason to date someone (for most people) a that person isn't potentially worthy of having sex with, or you're not capable of having sex with, or they're not fit for sexin

That doesn't mean you'd have sex with everyone that you see as doable, but a person certainly would not have sex with someone that is not doable... so to most people, there is zero reason to date someone not doable.

Unless, of course, they don't understand the word. As happened here... so, the people that were understanding her were misusing the word at the same time. That often happens here.
Oh wow. I think we just have different interpretations of the word (which is totally fine since it's not a real word). "Doable" to me still means someone that I find very physically attractive and would enthusiastically want to be sexual with. I don't care how others are interpreting it because that's what it means to me.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 AM

374 posts, read 393,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I don't understand this. So ultimately you're saying you would "roll in the hay" with her if she's trash? I just picture you rolling around in a dumpster. Not a good look. You should respect yourself and women more.
I think you should re-read what I said.

I didn't say I would roll around in the hay with trash.

I did say I would roll around in the hay with someone that looks good, but doesn't have a lot of career goals or life goals. What does it matter if you're just sleeping with someone? Also, if I'm just sleeping with someone, then I'm not bringing them home to my family.

Someone that is datable is someone you can see a future with. For me that was someone who wanted the same things in life as me. After having sex with that person I'm still going to have a relationship with them.

I've had multiple chances were I could have tried for sex with a girl but decided not to because she was datable.

If i want sex with someone that's doable, then I'll make the move.

There's a big difference.

So come off of your holier than thou attitude about me having more respect for myself.

And stop this respect yourself and women better. Women do the same exact same thing to men.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,395 times
Shallow personality + looks = not doable, not datable
Decent personality + looks = doable
Great personality + similar interests + similar goals + sexual chemistry = dateable

Of course the term "looks" is completely subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships