Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:16 PM

30,913 posts, read 37,057,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jay View Post
Title says it all. We've been together for a couple of years and our relationships is pretty good. Should I marry her, I Can't come up with any reason why not.
Yes, if your relationship is pretty good you should do it for her, for you, and for your kid. I'm sure someone will flame me for this, but kids do better when born to parents who get married & stay married. Even more liberal researchers are admitting the following:

1....Marriage is a commitment that cohabitation is not. Taking a vow before friends and family to support another person “until death do us part” signals a mutual sense of shared responsibility that cannot be lightly dismissed. Cohabitation is more fragile — cohabiting parents split up before their fifth anniversary at about twice the rate of married parents.

2. Second, a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults.

3. Marriage brings economic benefits. Let's face it. It costs a lot more to run two households than it does one.

People who get married & stay married tend to both earn more and save more than they would individually.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...JqU_story.html

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-04-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:18 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
a series of mistakes attempting to correct a prior mistake with another

Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Just food for thought regarding the 'love' aspect:

Longterm studies in India (which has western style/love and traditional/arranged marriages) have shown that arranged marriages are getting less divorced plus have higher 'love' scores the longer they last.

Meaning for Lil Jay: Plan the economic foundation for your new family wisely and spend much time to discuss the serious commitment you will have to show to each other for the next 20 years. The love you have now for each other will change and may not be there at times, but can always come back.
I agree with all of this.. Author Elizabeth Gilbert, who researched marriage in many different cultures for her book, Committed, came to the following conclusion:

If you look at the history of marriage, anytime you see a conservative culture of arranged marriage being replaced by a more liberal culture of romantic marriage ... you will see divorce rates start to rise immediately.

It turns out that love is a very fragile notion upon which to base a very important and complicated institution. I think most people throughout history would look at the way we choose our marriages today and just think, my God, these people took huge risks. They risk their future, financial stability, property and their heirs on something as fragile and delicate as romantic affection.

'Eat, Pray, Love' author tackles marriage - CNN.com

Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Just food for thought regarding the 'love' aspect:

Longterm studies in India (which has western style/love and traditional/arranged marriages) have shown that arranged marriages are getting less divorced plus have higher 'love' scores the longer they last.

Meaning for Lil Jay: Plan the economic foundation for your new family wisely and spend much time to discuss the serious commitment you will have to show to each other for the next 20 years. The love you have now for each other will change and may not be there at times, but can always come back.
I agree with all of this.. Author Elizabeth Gilbert who researched marriage in many different cultures for her book Committed, came to the following conclusion:

If you look at the history of marriage, anytime you see a conservative culture of arranged marriage being replaced by a more liberal culture of romantic marriage ... you will see divorce rates start to rise immediately.

It turns out that love is a very fragile notion upon which to base a very important and complicated institution. I think most people throughout history would look at the way we choose our marriages today and just think, my God, these people took huge risks. They risk their future, financial stability, property and their heirs on something as fragile and delicate as romantic affection.

'Eat, Pray, Love' author tackles marriage - CNN.com

Old 06-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That's because a arranged marriage are usually more practical and realistic than the American Disney fantasy of, oh I'm in love, blah, blah,blah. Even though half the marriages in this country are going to end a failure.
Yes, I think that was the poster's point. Americans need to be a lot more realistic in their approach to marriage. If we would do that, maybe we wouldn't have a 50% divorce rate.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 PM

323 posts, read 308,999 times
No.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,984,246 times
Yeah

Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,518,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jay View Post
Title says it all. We've been together for a couple of years and our relationships is pretty good. Should I marry her, I Can't come up with any reason why not.
Are you in love with each other? I wouldn't marry just because of the baby, I would marry because I love my SO and want to spend the rest of my life with him/her.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,214,482 times
This isnt 1956

Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,413,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, if your relationship is pretty good you should do it for her, for you, and for your kid. I'm sure someone will flame me for this, but kids do better when born to parents who get married & stay married. Even more liberal researchers are admitting the following:

1....Marriage is a commitment that cohabitation is not. Taking a vow before friends and family to support another person “until death do us part” signals a mutual sense of shared responsibility that cannot be lightly dismissed. Cohabitation is more fragile — cohabiting parents split up before their fifth anniversary at about twice the rate of married parents.

2. Second, a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults.

3. Marriage brings economic benefits. Let's face it. It costs a lot more to run two households than it does one.

People who get married & stay married tend to both earn more and save more than they would individually.

20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - The Washington Post
I agree with this. If you love her, marry her. If you are worried about divorce or whatever, just get a prenup. ( one for each side)

I have known many couples who "had" to get married, and they are very happy.

If you absolutely do not want to get married, then don't. Just consider your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships