Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,858,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I'll probably write in Penn Jillette.
I love him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I'm sorry to seem rude here but I highly doubt that you have ANY degrees if you don't know that to abbreviate MA and MS you would say AN instead of A. This is basic grammar. If you read that sentence out loud the way it is written you would sound like a 4 year old.

I guess you are "a upper level graduate student", huh?
Nah. Just a typo. I had them spelled out first and decided to abbreviate, but I was in a hurry (to get back to work on a project; I was on a break) so I didn't switch those out.

My MS is in English and I work as an editor. I am well aware of the grammar rules, but thanks for the (against the TOS) lesson.

I tend to relax them on the internet because this isn't a professional place and let's be serious, you made a "stupid mistake" (per your editing comment) typing this rude-as-hell reply so maybe it would have been smarter not to post it at all, eh?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I swear people use this forum to brag about themselves!! Welcome to CD where only the most beautiful, successful, and elite hang out!! Feeling like you've accomplished something, or feel good about yourself? Come here and meet tons of those that did it 100x better than you!!

CD-where Conquerors of the Universe get together and try to one-up each other
Good grief, how on earth did you get that from my comment?

I was merely pointing out that people can be in college in their 30s (I got my first MS in my 30s) and even in their 40s, and this doesn't mean they're slackers who don't work.

That's all I was saying.

I don't give a damn what anyone here thinks of my academic credentials. This isn't exactly LinkedIn, man.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,024,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I hope Hillary runs and wins.

A Clinton and Pelosi supporter earns major points from me.
I have a lot more respect for Hillary after learning how much she and Bill struggled to buy houses (plural) following their departure from the white house. It just brings them down to the average joe level if you really think about it. I mean, a 1.7 million dollar mansion in New York and a 2.5 million dollar mansion in D.C. just makes her so much more relatable to the public. Not like that evil venture capitalist Mitt Romney who is too rich to relate.

Sorry, what was this thread about?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Good grief, how on earth did you get that from my comment?

I was merely pointing out that people can be in college in their 30s (I got my first MS in my 30s) and even in their 40s, and this doesn't mean they're slackers who don't work.

That's all I was saying.

I don't give a damn what anyone here thinks of my academic credentials. This isn't exactly LinkedIn, man.
This is the thing. Women far outnumber men among "non-traditional students" (i.e. those beyond standard student-age), because there's still a tendency for women to interrupt their education to get married. After some years of marriage, or years of raising a child out of wedlock, they decide it's time to get some job skills and improve their lives. Though men sometimes go back to school for an additional degree after being in the workforce, they're generally fewer in numbers than women, many of whom may be going to undergrad or grad school for the first time in their 30's or 40's.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the thing. Women far outnumber men among "non-traditional students" (i.e. those beyond standard student-age), because there's still a tendency for women to interrupt their education to get married. After some years of marriage, or years of raising a child out of wedlock, they decide it's time to get some job skills and improve their lives. Though men sometimes go back to school for an additional degree after being in the workforce, they're generally fewer in numbers than women, many of whom may be going to undergrad or grad school for the first time in their 30's or 40's.
That makes sense, Ruth.

I went to school part-time (working my way through college) around age 20-21 (had a full-time job) and then, my eldest was born when I was 22, so I wasn't in school for a couple of years. I did work while pregnant with him, though. After he was 1, I went back to school full-time and worked part-time. I did get married and have another child while in college, and I did work much of that time (most of it full-time) and take care of my sons, so I didn't graduate from college until 9 years after I started (but, overall, I attended a total of 5 1/2 years during those 9 years, which isn't too bad since I had a major and a K-6 teaching program that takes an extra year beyond the degree to finish).

When I went back for my MS 3 years later, I'd had another child by then (she was almost 3) and my boys were both in school. I did the MS while working part-time until I landed a co-op with the company where I've been employed for nearly 10 years. I finished up my MS part-time while working full-time (and going through a divorce). And, I had primary custody of my kids. Finished my MS about 5 years ago, and I'm remarried (we have been married over 4 years, but together for over 8) and I just decided that I needed this new MA to improve my career outlook, so I am doing it part-time while working full-time.

My kids are much older now, of course.

Funny, my husband is the opposite of me. He never needed a degree (doesn't really need one now) as it became very successful at a young age in IT. He's finishing up a BS so that he can get an MBA. If you could skip straight to the MBA, I have no doubt he could do it. He's smart like that.

Oh... and he's working full-time while taking part-time classes.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,814,868 times
Paying for the first dinner and date and not even getting a thank you.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,605,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Paying for the first dinner and date and not even getting a thank you.
Ah, yes, the "I'll go out with any guy for a free meal" type.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Ah, yes, the "I'll go out with any guy for a free meal" type.
Who are all these poverty-stricken, near-starvation women who use dating to take advantage of men for a free meal? This theme keeps recurring, here.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who are all these poverty-stricken, near-starvation women who use dating to take advantage of men for a free meal? This theme keeps recurring, here.

There were some pop magazine articles on a few, so I think it got blown out of proportion. Some people said they have sisters/friends that have admitted to such. I have no reason to no believe them. Surely it happens, but I don't think it is widespread and is probably confined mostly to places like NYC, LA, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships