Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 AM

7 posts, read 12,548 times

Advertisements

I'm European and around where I live, we do not have a courtship phase that is typical for American dating. Pretty much everything from paying for dates to gift giving is in turns and pretty balanced.

Personally, I like to be a gentleman and pay for everything. But if you're a guy and you try to always pay for dates or treat her like a princess, the great majority of women around here won't let you! Most people around here see this balanced approach as positive, but I don't really, I always wanted to 'court' a girl in an old-fashioned way and treat her like a lady.

Anyway, 4 months ago, I met an amazing American girl who lives here and we both felt mutual attraction from the get go. We've been dating since then, and I took this opportunity to court her 'the American way.' I'm happily paying for everything, as a gentleman is supposed to do. I've never let her pay. I'm always opening doors for her and helping her into her jacket. I'm showering her with gifts. I spoil her and treat her like a princess and she enjoys it a lot. And to be honest, I'm loving it, too. It's so much more fun than what I'm used to.

I would like to continue this for at least another 6-12 months, if not forever, but I don't want her to think I'm weird for doing so.

So, this question is especially for the (American) women:

How long should the courtship phase last?

Is it something you enjoy a lot or do you rather prefer a more egalitarian approach to dating where you're taking turns and share the costs equally?

Would you feel weird if the guy wants to continue to court you, and always pay for you, and treat you like a special lady?

Sorry if my questions sound naive... different cultures, you know.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwellian View Post
I'm European and around where I live, we do not have a courtship phase that is typical for American dating. Pretty much everything from paying for dates to gift giving is in turns and pretty balanced.

Personally, I like to be a gentleman and pay for everything. But if you're a guy and you try to always pay for dates or treat her like a princess, the great majority of women around here won't let you! Most people around here see this balanced approach as positive, but I don't really, I always wanted to 'court' a girl in an old-fashioned way and treat her like a lady.

Anyway, 4 months ago, I met an amazing American girl who lives here and we both felt mutual attraction from the get go. We've been dating since then, and I took this opportunity to court her 'the American way.' I'm happily paying for everything, as a gentleman is supposed to do. I've never let her pay. I'm always opening doors for her and helping her into her jacket. I'm showering her with gifts. I spoil her and treat her like a princess and she enjoys it a lot. And to be honest, I'm loving it, too. It's so much more fun than what I'm used to.

I would like to continue this for at least another 6-12 months, if not forever, but I don't want her to think I'm weird for doing so.

Is it something you enjoy a lot or do you rather prefer a more egalitarian approach to dating where you're taking turns and share the costs equally?

Would you feel weird if the guy wants to continue to court you, and always pay for you, and treat you like a special lady?

Thank you!

I don't want to be anyone's "princess". IMHO, that has a negative connotation. I only want to be respected and loved. If a man treats me well, he will get the same in return.

Actually, yes, I would feel weird having a man ALWAYS pay for me. I don't have a problem with picking up the tab. In fact, I like treating others, I like helping out, I like sharing. Just don't try to take advantage of me.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:

Thank you!
If you are doing this to impress her it WILL backfire.

Just work with her. If you don't want to do this forever then don't do it at all!

Personally, a lot of women here are well off and don't need some man to do all those things.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
It's probably a good idea to allow your girlfriend the opportunity to reciprocate in terms of gifts and dates. Pay if you're so inspired, but it's healthier for both of you if this form of courtship is more balanced.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellian View Post
' i'm happily paying for everything, as a gentleman is supposed to do.
lol

Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
Quote:

Thank you!
It really depends on the women. For many women in America, they pay their own way, even on a 1st date, and they want it that way, but will accept the guy offering to pay now and again.

Me, i'd love a guy that wanted to pay for me, and treat me special. Special treatment is the only one I haven't gotten. I have got typical be there family treatment, tolerated, or treated like crap.

So, a guy who wanted to court would be nice. I like old-fashioned chivalry. But careful not to go overboard. When something happens too much, regardless of what it is, it can become less special. Like if someone said "I love you" everyday. It's nice, but after a while, it becomes routine. You expect to hear it possibly. It's not special now.

So, I would like to be courted at first, but if we have shared a kiss, and the relationship seems to be official--boyfriend/girlfriend, then I expect things to even out with me and him taking turns, sharing, and just being loving partners.

But how many dates that is, I am not sure. I guess it depends on the guy and our connection. It may be after 3 dates, or it could be 5. It can also depend on how often you can get together. Like some having busy schedules and only 5 dates happen in 5 months.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
That's nice, but if she gets used to it, she might be disappointed when you stop.

How long should the courtship phase last? As long as you want it to.

Is it something you enjoy a lot or do you rather prefer a more egalitarian approach to dating where you're taking turns and share the costs equally? It's not that I wouldn't like it, but I'd feel guilty about it unless I knew he made a lot more money than I do. Since that's not usually the case with the guys I date, I start contributing to costs very early on (like within the first three dates), so I would say that I've never actually been "courted."

Would you feel weird if the guy wants to continue to court you, and always pay for you, and treat you like a special lady? I think it would be very nice if that was what he genuinely wanted to do.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
European and everything has been balanced where you live in rearguards to dating... then an American woman comes around and now you want to start paying for everything, Lol

Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:

Thank you!
I am married and I still treat my wife in that manner.

And if I am having lunch with a male friend I also like to pay. I hold the door for anyone regarding age or gender.

Being a gentleman is a 24/7 job for the rest of your life.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:03 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
It really depends on the women. For many women in America, they pay their own way, even on a 1st date, and they want it that way, but will accept the guy offering to pay now and again.

American men have done a good job in training women. It has come to the point that the American women know they are expected to open their wallets. The American women are also expected to put out after three dates or else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships