Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,443,790 times

Advertisements

I decided to up my game and be more assertive on OkCupid. I have a profile that I recently put back up because I moved to a new area. I re-worked my profile to make it clear, concise, interesting, and not 10 paragraphs long.

In the last 48 hours I have messaged 5 men with simple messages, but showing I have read their profile and mentioning things I like and/or areas we have in common and asked open ended questions. All of them are 80%+ matches with me, and no, I'm not reaching above my "level."

Of course, none of them have messaged me back, even though 4/5 have been online in the last 24 hours. Not even a "Thanks, not interested." For the record, I respond to every message I get except for the obnoxious "DTF?" ones. I sent messages to 2 other men this month, and neither of them responded either.

So I'm just posting this to point that when guys complain that women never contact, please keep in mind that some of us do and we get the same silence that you get, even when we send nice messages.

Oh well, back the drawing board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Men online only want hot bimbos.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,148,390 times
My area has zero churn on POF and OkCupid is a ghost town. It’s pretty sad when you see people that have been on there for three years without a single profile update. It’s like the rubbish left over after the great Gemco sellout of the 80’s.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,001,571 times
So they saw something in your profile that indicated incompatibility, even if it was just that you look too much like their cousin. So what?

The key is not to get attached until you have actually met the person, been dating a while, etc.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,567,336 times
I did ok with online dating. One summer I pushed myself to have 30 dates in 30 days. I hated first dates and awkward meetings. After the first week I really got to see how I interacted with people and I got over my fear. I didn't sleep with anyone, but it was an awesome way to get over my fears and see just how nervous everyone is on a first date. Now I'm in a stable long term relationship, but that was only because I got my confidence and learned how to talk to people.

After my first two weeks of 30 days 30 dates, I had a few dates where I stopped the guy and said, "Ok lemme tell you what you're doing wrong here." Some guys wanted the feedback, some didn't. But I hope I helped others.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
My area has zero churn on POF and OkCupid is a ghost town. It’s pretty sad when you see people that have been on there for three years without a single profile update. It’s like the rubbish left over after the great Gemco sellout of the 80’s.
That's how it is in my area. I can put my profile back up after a 9 month break and 70% of the profiles I had already seen and had no interest in. It's very hard when your area doesn't churn many profiles.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,153,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I decided to up my game and be more assertive on OkCupid. I have a profile that I recently put back up because I moved to a new area. I re-worked my profile to make it clear, concise, interesting, and not 10 paragraphs long.

In the last 48 hours I have messaged 5 men with simple messages, but showing I have read their profile and mentioning things I like and/or areas we have in common and asked open ended questions. All of them are 80%+ matches with me, and no, I'm not reaching above my "level."

Of course, none of them have messaged me back, even though 4/5 have been online in the last 24 hours. Not even a "Thanks, not interested." For the record, I respond to every message I get except for the obnoxious "DTF?" ones. I sent messages to 2 other men this month, and neither of them responded either.

So I'm just posting this to point that when guys complain that women never contact, please keep in mind that some of us do and we get the same silence that you get, even when we send nice messages.

Oh well, back the drawing board!

Maybe it would help to know what you looked like before I could comment on what the problem might be.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM

600 posts, read 825,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Maybe it would help to know what you looked like before I could comment on what the problem might be.

Yeah I was going to second that. I have not heard of women who are have nice slender bodies and a pretty faces having these problems.....so.........yeah....no offense. I think seeing what you looked like would help significantly from a male standpoint.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,443,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
So they saw something in your profile that indicated incompatibility, even if it was just that you look too much like their cousin. So what?

The key is not to get attached until you have actually met the person, been dating a while, etc.
I'm not getting attached, just thinking a little common courtesy wouldn't kill anyone.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 PM

346 posts, read 352,092 times
Have to agree with the last two posts. OP is probably average looking at best. Decent looking girls would be getting responses to her messages. Maybe not every single one, but I'd wager at least half. If you're only average looking or below, you're going to have send out more messages to get that response. 5-10 messages isn't enough. Guys often send out way more just to get one response. You're just going to have to suck it up and keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships