Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,100 times

Advertisements

Too many choices. Men have a tendency to look for the impossible and complain about not being able to find a decent woman. Men like the chase and they chase and chase and chase and refuse to make a contact for a meet/date to possibly build a relationship. Several of the same men view my profile almost every day without any contact. Why? My profile is the same every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,715 times
I dated quite a few very attractive women from OLD. I'd say most were more attractive than me.

Usually it was just me being awkward or not assertive enough that ended things. I do better getting to slowly know women then dating them. One day I'll figure out how to impress on a first meet. I'm always too shy.

Lol

Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 PM

113 posts, read 113,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I dated quite a few very attractive women from OLD. I'd say most were more attractive than me.

Really?

What did you do to gain their attention over the other 10,000 messages a day that they get?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
Too many choices. Men have a tendency to look for the impossible and complain about not being able to find a decent woman. Men like the chase and they chase and chase and chase and refuse to make a contact for a meet/date to possibly build a relationship. Several of the same men view my profile almost every day without any contact. Why? My profile is the same every day.
I certainly am not a woman that gets hundreds of views, emails, likes or winks. Even when I get some sort of attention, I'm led to believe that the guy did it to accumulate points for himself somewhere on the site, win a bet, or his finger hit the wrong area of his smart phone which registered a like. I've had a handful - I would never expect "hundreds" - of messages from guys who initiated the contact. When I message back with open-ended questions or an attempt at some sort of dialogue, they don't respond. I don't get that. Why bother in the first place?

All I can figure is that they are "testing the water". Maybe they SAY the want a relationship, but really are terrified of one. Maybe if women respond online, it gives them confidence to approach women IRL.

* shrugging *

Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 PM

113 posts, read 113,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No. It's just not 50/50.
Its more like 95-5

Lol

Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony7X View Post
Really?

What did you do to gain their attention over the other 10,000 messages a day that they get?
I think it has a lot to do with location honestly.

Most people are fairly fit around Vail. I also did OLD in Lethbridge, Alberta which is a very popular nursing school and an active town.

I met the woman I'm dating now at a breakfast place I hit up on the weekends.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,085 times
The disparity decreases a lot as one's age increases. I suspect that the more desirable young women, say the upper third, only keep their profiles active for a week or two at a time, as that is all the time they need to line up a half dozen solid prospects, and this magnifies the disparity. And, has been said location is critical.
@MarshallV, surprised you have had success on OLD in Vail, all the CO ski towns are kind of sausage fests, at least per census data. I assume you are older, or perhaps your OLD success was before moving to vail.

Last edited by Robert5; 08-12-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
U] I will have a coffee or drink meet with just about anyone local who seems interesting and normal.[/u]
That might sound nice, but the.......
Ughh...the dreaded "no chemistry date".

And guys wonder why they hear from a woman there's "no chemistry" often on online first dates that never turn into anything and are a complete waste of time. Who wants to go on dates like that? It gets your hopes up for nothing. Especially if you really like the girl.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Quote:
has anybody ever been able to figure this out?

I've literally seen 100s and 100s of men, many good looking/cool guys who are able to have success in real life, say that the only way they got any responses at all online is to go after women way less attractive than themselves. That really seems to be the only way to succeed as a man in OLD - if you're good looking, fit, young, successful, go after 35 year old overweight moms

What causes the monstrous disparity?
Yeah...have those same guys approach women and chat them up in real life and let me know if it's really that different. Just approach random women and let me know. If you're not really good looking you're going to get shot down. And if they're having such great sucess in "real life" why go online? People go online because they're having trouble meeting someone

Women are picky and want the sparks with the alphas. It's the same whether online or in "real life". The key for an average joe is just to find that one girl who happens to find you attractive. That 1 in 1000. And yes it's one sided....men generally have to chase women unless they're in the top 5% of alpahas.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 08-12-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 01:43 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
Quote:
has anybody ever been able to figure this out?

I've literally seen 100s and 100s of men, many good looking/cool guys who are able to have success in real life, say that the only way they got any responses at all online is to go after women way less attractive than themselves. That really seems to be the only way to succeed as a man in OLD - if you're good looking, fit, young, successful, go after 35 year old overweight moms

What causes the monstrous disparity?
Demographics of internet use. More men are online. Even a small imbalance leads to one side having a big advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships