Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,601,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Men wanting to date younger women is nothing new for sure and I understand their reasons. But the truth is, men can want to date younger all they like... but the women also have to want to date them back. Yes, there are women who like men 10+ years older than them, but it's a minority of women. So a man wanting to date younger has to bring a lot to the table (more so than all the other men his age) to catch and hold on to a younger woman's interest (if he's specifically going after that demographic... things are different when two people, who happen to have a wide age gap, happen to fall for each other).

By the way, most of the men quoted were mostly in their 30s and dating women in their 20s, that's hardly a big age gap in my book. I also think the men who assume no women in their late 20s, early 30s aren't thinking long term (if they want to have kids) are being a bit naive.
If both are at least ~25, then 10 years or so is probably OK. If the gap is much bigger it can be tough. I know a few couples with about a 11-12 yr difference (man is older in all but one case) that do pretty well, but anyone with a bigger gap than that I question the long term viability.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
If both are at least ~25, then 10 years or so is probably OK. If the gap is much bigger it can be tough. I know a few couples with about a 11-12 yr difference (man is older in all but one case) that do pretty well, but anyone with a bigger gap than that I question the long term viability.
I agree with you. And pretty much, it sounds like that's what the men are talking about... 30 year-old guy dating a 20 something or a 35 year-old dating a 25-year-old and such. Not really a big age difference. It's not like 40-year-olds are dating 18-year-olds (at least in the article). I really think, as others have mentioned, it's more about life stages more so than age. In general, men prefer slightly younger women and women prefer slightly older men.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I agree with you. And pretty much, it sounds like that's what the men are talking about... 30 year-old guy dating a 20 something or a 35 year-old dating a 25-year-old and such. Not really a big age difference. It's not like 40-year-olds are dating 18-year-olds (at least in the article). I really think, as others have mentioned, it's more about life stages more so than age. In general, men prefer slightly younger women and women prefer slightly older men.
One of my neighbors just got remarried. His first wife died in a car accident about 3 years ago. He started dating this woman about a year later. Now, he's 41 and she's 29, so 39/27 when they started dating. As he explains it, she's "an old soul" and he's "young at heart" so they fit pretty well together. She also loves his son (he's 11) and they plan to have at least one child together. Honestly they're a great couple, and you don't immediately notice the age difference, he looks younger than 41 anyway.

I can't speak to their sex life, however, since that was brought up a few times on this thread.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,807 times
How is something we've discussed to death on this forum "news"???

Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
LMAOOOOOOOO thank you for that--I needed a little comedy inbetween reading monotonous journal articles for grad school. You have everything to prove in the sex department. You must be incredibly delusional to think that women don't care about good sex when sex makes up a chunk of a relationship. In fact I have dropped dating older men FOR this very reason. Couldn't keep up, selfish, decreased stamina, decreased frequency, couldn't do more than a couple rounds. The type of women who will pass up good sex in exchange for a man with a grad degree (which btw is a dime a dozen), are women who can't fend for themselves and need to date men for survivalistic reasons and so are willing to forgo one of the greatest pleasures of life. But whatever feeds the ego and helps you sleep at night right?
That's pretty much most women over 30 sweetie. When faced between the decision to be with a man that's great in bed or a man that can provide, mature women will almost always go with a man that can provide. This becomes even more true if they haven't had kids yet, but they still want to. In these scenarios, women stop chasing the hot bartender and begin searching for the average looking guy they can walk on, that will allow them to have a stress free life of child raising.

Maybe you personally don't think like this, but most women do after a certain age.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
That's pretty much most women over 30 sweetie. When faced between the decision to be with a man that's great in bed or a man that can provide, mature women will almost always go with a man that can provide. This becomes even more true if they haven't had kids yet, but they still want to. In these scenarios, women stop chasing the hot bartender and begin searching for the average looking guy they can walk on, that will allow them to have a stress free life of child raising.

Maybe you personally don't think like this, but most women do after a certain age.
Are you going to be happy with 5-times a year, corpse-like maintenance sex?

Because that's what you're going to get.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Are you going to be happy with 5-times a year, corpse-like maintenance sex?

Because that's what you're going to get.
Yeah. I'd need a happy medium at the very least.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,208 times
Quote:
One of my neighbors just got remarried. His first wife died in a car accident about 3 years ago. He started dating this woman about a year later. Now, he's 41 and she's 29, so 39/27 when they started dating. As he explains it, she's "an old soul" and he's "young at heart" so they fit pretty well together. She also loves his son (he's 11) and they plan to have at least one child together. Honestly they're a great couple, and you don't immediately notice the age difference, he looks younger than 41 anyway.

I can't speak to their sex life, however, since that was brought up a few times on this thread.
My brother lives with a woman who is 12 years younger than him and the have been together for about 14 years and have a daughter so it happens quite a bit. For some men they don't find most women their.own age attractive especially after they pass 40, it is simple logic, a new car almost always runs better than the older model, (sure there are exceptions) the older car requires more maintenance to keep in good condition, the new car might be harder to repair because of new technology but usually a while goes by before that happens. An old house is a lot more work that a new house, the best athletes are usually younger, every now and then a rare athlete stays on top in the older years but they are not the norm. Women are really no different, young looks nice, as they age they have to work harde to keep their looks, as far as other qualities I agree with some of what the article says, more open minds, less baggage and more willingness to do certain things could motivate a man to prefer them over older women. Everyone is different.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah. I'd need a happy medium at the very least.
Now if he's saying that women will be happy with a competent lover who is considerate and knows how to communicate in bed (and she does herself), but not necessarily a guy who ranks in the top 99% of men as far as being good in bed, that would make sense.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships