Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM

102,237 posts, read 108,130,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
No she shouldn't do that either, that never seems to work out well. Can't make someone want kids.
My sister-in-law succeeded in changing my brother's mind. He ok'ed it, recognizing that giving in was better than divorce. It took him some time to warm to the kids, once they arrived. But once he did, he really got into parenting. Now that they're grown, all he can talk about is how great his kids are doing, as a reflection of what he considers his brilliant parenting skills. (Hint--it's still all about him.)

Committed child-free men can change. I've seen it happen, in more than once case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I think the problem that others have identified is if she does divorce, she may not find another lover, and then she'll be left without her husband or a child.

The question is, is she able to afford/willing to go to a sperm bank, or adopt. In that case, the divorce option becomes more attractive.

Then again, it's really hard for me to advise because apparently my biological clock is on perma-Snooze.
Let's not forget there's so much more involved. Does she have a job, and if so, does she make enough money to be able to afford to raise a child on her own? Who would do baby care and infant care? Does she even want to have a child on her own, without a companion and co-parent? I think what you point out in your first paragraph there is the big sticking point for the OP. If she gets divorced and takes the plunge into the unknown, she may find a guy, or she may not. And for all that trouble, even if she did find a good guy, she might have another miscarriage.

It's a very thorny decision she has to make. I suppose one piece of advice not given so far is to simply wait out this hormonal surge, and by her early 40's, it may have passed, and live will have moved on. Maybe.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,872,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I think the problem that others have identified is if she does divorce, she may not find another lover, and then she'll be left without her husband or a child.

The question is, is she able to afford/willing to go to a sperm bank, or adopt. In that case, the divorce option becomes more attractive.

Then again, it's really hard for me to advise because apparently my biological clock is on perma-Snooze.
She can adopt if she doesn't find the right guy in time. If she is serious about this, she will realize that she can have both the good guy and the kid. There are no time restraints if she looks at it that way.

I know I spent too much of my youth just going with the bird in the hand, now I actively pursue things and take chances and the rewards have been tremendous!

I never settle for second best now, I advise her to do the same.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,284,075 times
Quote:
She can adopt if she doesn't find the right guy in time. If she is serious about this, she will realize that she can have both the good guy and the kid. There are no time restraints.

I know I spent too much of my youth just going with the bird in the hand, now I actively pursue things and take chances and the rewards have been tremendous!

I never settle for second best now, I advise her to do the same.
I personally agree with the adoption route, but not everyone does. Also, you have to consider that adopting a child, even an older one, can be a long and difficult process, particularly for a single parent.

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but I do think that the OP has a lot to consider. (BTW, has she even posted since her original post?)

Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My sister-in-law succeeded in changing my brother's mind. He ok'ed it, recognizing that giving in was better than divorce. It took him some time to warm to the kids, once they arrived. But once he did, he really got into parenting. Now that they're grown, all he can talk about is how great his kids are doing, as a reflection of what he considers his brilliant parenting skills. (Hint--it's still all about him.)

Committed child-free men can change. I've seen it happen, in more than once case.
Well my wife was reluctant too and to be honest I would have been better off marrying someone better suited to having kids. It was much harder than it needed to be because she had no idea what she was doing. I mean yes, she has adapted to it, but she doesn't have the same joy or even instinct about it that I do. However, it's been done and our relationship has gotten better now that the kids are out of the toddler years. She seems better able to handle school-aged kids than babies or toddlers. We almost didn't make it though. I'm just trying to help others make better choices than I did.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well my wife was reluctant too and to be honest I would have been better off marrying someone better suited to having kids. I mean yes, she has adapted to it, but she doesn't have the same joy about it that I do. However, it's been done and our relationship has gotten better now that the kids are out of the toddler years. It almost didn't make it though. I'm just trying to help others not make the same mistake.
Good point. Having kids can strain even the best of relationships, according to studies.

About the adoption option you mentioned; that wouldn't solve the OP's problem, by my understanding. She's longing for that pregnancy experience. When those hormones hit, it's about going through the gestation process, and birthing. It's not about having a baby, any baby, or toddler, around to raise. That's how I read her OP.

And no, she hasn't been back to the thread.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,400,481 times
Quote:

And sometimes they don't. And that's a HUGE mess. I can't imagine if my father had taken some time to "warm to" me. I was his little buddy right from the time I came home from the hospital.

My father is not a good man, but I was on the receiving end of his best efforts from the very beginning. I cannot imagine being a child who didn't receive that. I can't imagine being a woman having a kid with a man who wasn't willing to provide that.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Good point. Having kids can strain even the best of relationships, according to studies.

About the adoption option you mentioned; that wouldn't solve the OP's problem, by my understanding. She's longing for that pregnancy experience. When those hormones hit, it's about going through the gestation process, and birthing. It's not about having a baby, any baby, or toddler, around to raise. That's how I read her OP.

And no, she hasn't been back to the thread.
I guess for women the experience of pregnancy is more important. Though I have to say it was nice seeing my wife pregnant, she looked so shining and radiant! And the way she surprised me with announcing baby #2 by putting a positive pregnancy test on my desk when I was engrossed in my work while in a super serious mood just makes me smile.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Sure there is, it's called divorce. Personally I'd rather be alone the rest of my life than having to live with someone who got in the way of fullfilling a key part of my life.

I say take the chance, you won't regret it. Go for the BIG D baby!

Marrying and spending your life with the person you're in love with is a key part of most people's lives.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:

As have I. Not saying it should happen for anyone...but it definitely does.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 09-25-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships