Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:03 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Idealized love is the stuff of novels and poetry, of troubadours and folk-songs. Actual love is not cringing too much when one's partner passes gas, and managing to fall asleep despite one's partner's snoring.

The OP's quandary is less a distinction between the theory and the practice of love, than an outsized fascination with the initial flush of first encounter. Personally I'm the reverse, finding the early stages of dating to be stressful and emotionally oppressive, with tension easing as the partnership deepens. Some people revel in the making of first-acquaintance, relishing the mystery of novelty. Others prefer the comforts and surety of established familiarity. These latter ones aren't necessarily more mature or more substantive lovers; they simply relate differently to the business of meeting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It's not abnormal, its just not love. What you are most into is infatuation and the adrenaline rush that comes with something new. Nothing wrong with that, that's pretty standard...but it's not love, so be careful not to misidentify it as such.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 AM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
"Idealized love and actual love "
In reality, I see no difference. Defining Love is completely subjective and dependant on the individual. There is a recent US/western construct that is shared by many people here that they refer to as 'Love'. It's really just made up in your mind. It's only your reality that counts. It's like defining God, Allah or whatever diety is you claim as yours.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
If you have never been in love with someone - it's pretty hard to imagine what it's like. After the euphoric courtship stage comes something deeper, truer, and more meaningful. If, after the euphoric stage, you are then bored and not happy spending time with that person - then it's not love. It was just lust.
How about if you are in love with someone and its not reciprocated? Is that still love? You could go through your entire life with this 'feeling' of love until you die, and the object of your affection doesn't have the same feelings for you.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
How about if you are in love with someone and its not reciprocated? Is that still love? You could go through your entire life with this 'feeling' of love until you die, and the object of your affection doesn't have the same feelings for you.
I was talking about love in the context of a loving relationship.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
IMO, to be in love requires two people, not one person idolizing, worshipping and fantasizing about the idea of a person they're not actually in a relationship with.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think as others have said if you're getting bored fairy easily or fairly quickly, it's probably not love, cause once the honeymoon phase is over and the day to day business of life kicks in, you know it's love when you want to wring the other person neck, yet in a short while you don't and you still actually love them....

Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think as others have said if you're getting bored fairy easily or fairly quickly, it's probably not love, cause once the honeymoon phase is over and the day to day business of life kicks in, you know it's love when you want to wring the other person neck, yet in a short while you don't and you still actually love them....
"I think as others have said if you're getting bored fairy easily or fairly quickly, it's probably not love"
So, there is a time aspect to it? If you get bored with someone after 2 months it's not love. But, if it takes 2 years to get to that same point with someone its more likely to be love?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Maybe I lack emotional maturity, but I find the beginning stages of courtship/romance much more enjoyable than when things actually get real. Rationally, I'd like to find someone to settle down with, but I can't seem to get over the possibilities I'm able to project on someone new that I'm still getting to know. Is there something wrong with me? Am I a commitmentaphobe?
No. You're still thinking like a child. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnXQdkqChg

It'll probably get deleted, but yeah that's what it's about.

Infatuation is the night before. Love is the morning after. Infatuation is when she's looking hot and glamorous. Love is when she's wearing your old t-shirt and isn't in a great mood. Infatuation is the worship of an ideal. Love is dealing with the reality of a person. Infatuation is juvenile while love is for adults.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
"I think as others have said if you're getting bored fairy easily or fairly quickly, it's probably not love"
So, there is a time aspect to it? If you get bored with someone after 2 months it's not love. But, if it takes 2 years to get to that same point with someone its more likely to be love?
Have you ever been in love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships