Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,796,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
i go for the opposite, so doesnt that balance it out?
Hairy non-hispanics under 33 and over 39?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
All these exacts are more of a construct of online dating than anything. I do not think people out and about are getting out measuring tapes, or quizzing people on their exact age to find out if they fit within a certain set of defined parameters.

Really, they are just looking for similar age, taller/shorter in general, etc.

When you make a profile is when suddenly there is an exact.

Personally I never really cared much about height. My wife is about foot shorter than me, but I have dated much closer to my height too. As for age, I always found better comparability to others close in age to me, so I may have been more in tune with a smaller age range, but never really thought about putting numbers to it.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Saw a 34 year old woman whose online dating profile stated, "I only go for cute bald/shaved Hispanic guys from age 33 to 39, so if you don't meet this criteria don't waste your time."
That's nothing. My criteria is "must be 33 and look exactly like Ben Barnes." Scratch that, "Must be Ben Barnes." No wonder I'm single.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM

90 posts, read 78,160 times
When I was wasting my time with online dating, I'd say at least 50% of the profiles had a short (and sometimes long) laundry list that eliminated me in one way, shape, or form. Sometimes it was perfectly reasonable constraints, sometimes it was the kind of stuff that makes you lose faith in humanity. A lot of women just aren't open to individualism anymore. I felt like I had to be a caricature to get a response, so after a long time making a concerted effort, I gave up. There's women who want to date a guy with tattoos. I fit in with the tattoo crowd, I just don't have any. There's women who want guys with beards. I have a beard (at the moment), but I probably won't forever. I change my facial hair all the time. I hesitated to contact women as such as I don't want to get dumped if I shave my beard off. I have no issues with an educated woman wanting to date and educated (or at least smart) man, or lifestyle choices like has / doesn't have kids, but there's too much fickleness for me to for me to deal with.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:31 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAD_straKt View Post
When I was wasting my time with online dating, I'd say at least 50% of the profiles had a short (and sometimes long) laundry list that eliminated me in one way, shape, or form. Sometimes it was perfectly reasonable constraints, sometimes it was the kind of stuff that makes you lose faith in humanity. A lot of women just aren't open to individualism anymore. I felt like I had to be a caricature to get a response, so after a long time making a concerted effort, I gave up. There's women who want to date a guy with tattoos. I fit in with the tattoo crowd, I just don't have any. There's women who want guys with beards. I have a beard (at the moment), but I probably won't forever. I change my facial hair all the time. I hesitated to contact women as such as I don't want to get dumped if I shave my beard off. I have no issues with an educated woman wanting to date and educated (or at least smart) man, or lifestyle choices like has / doesn't have kids, but there's too much fickleness for me to for me to deal with.
I hate beards. Go figure...

Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Hairy non-hispanics under 33 and over 39?

thats almost correct.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:00 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Nothing a Bic can't solve.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM

90 posts, read 78,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Exacly that... just polarized nastiness. I'm sure all women are that way, but I just got so tired of it.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAD_straKt View Post
In all seriousness, if you trimmed your neck beard (so it was neat), and pulled your hair back into some high and tight pony tail thing (not sure what it's called), you'd probably kill it. I see dudes like that around here with nice looking ladies all the time. I think it's that Jared Leto appeal or something.

Like this; you could probably pull this off:

Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Men can be just as picky too. It really depends on the person.
Such as between 26 & 28, 5'3" - 5'5", auburn haired, at least a D cup, non-smoker, non- or very light drinker, health conscious (but is okay with occasional recreational drug use) and neither have nor want kids or pets and live a minimalist lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

And if you landed on mine (when I had one), you'd lose. I had 38-53; no height, ethnicity, income, hair, eye, or religion requirement (but made it clear a religious man wouldn't be a good match); no education requirement other than at least graduated high school; preferred thin, average, fit, or athletic for body type. My most stringent "requirement" was that I preferred someone who reads.
Ages 35-45, no height, ethnicity, income, hair (though not attracted to redheads), eye or religious requirement for me, but I did answer that I would not be willing to date someone who put God first. HS education minimum, non-smoker, non-drugs, preferred average, fit or athletic body type. OKC kept showing men in the "You Might Like" section who either looked like toothpicks (if I wanted to feel like I was hugging a 2x4, I'd just go to Lowe's) or men who were very overweight.

Reading is big for me too. I don't care what he reads, as long as it's something. Traveling is also big for me. Over the summer, I went to a speed dating event for ages 30-45 and about 1/2 of the 17 men I met were ski-loving engineers who hated to or were "through" with travel. One said he'd be willing to do it if it was a deal breaker, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What's weird is girls that are 5'4" request a guy that is 6'. I'm a tad over 6' and I can't be with a girl that is 8 inches shorter than me unless she is going to be wearing 6 inch heels most of the time.
I'm 5'4" and think 5'8"-5'9" is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's nothing. My criteria is "must be 33 and look exactly like Ben Barnes." Scratch that, "Must be Ben Barnes." No wonder I'm single.
I can't rep you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Saw a 34 year old woman whose online dating profile stated, "I only go for cute bald/shaved Hispanic guys from age 33 to 39, so if you don't meet this criteria don't waste your time."
She's the one with the restrictions-it's her problem if she can't find someone to meet them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships