Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

To answer op, good relationship.

With an heiress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 PM

511 posts, read 509,398 times
It's all about relationships. That is what life is about

Being warm, well fed, healthy, loved, and comfortable so you can be happy within these relationships is key

A Career is one avenue to all that, but to limit yourself to just one avenue called a Career to fulfill your basic needs, well this makes no sense.

Example: If I build my own home ,grow my own food, hunt, etc..then work PART TIME for example because I didn't run up my expenses, then that may be all that is needed to have a fulfilling happy life. Others may take a different route, but there are plenty of routes to take. Maybe no work is needed at all, as one has an inheritance. So spends their live volunteering maybe as a Foster Parent. Another route.

Work isn't important
People are important
Life is short

Last edited by MrsApt; 02-20-2015 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 07:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,312,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
It's all about relationships. That is what life is about

Being warm, well fed, healthy, loved, and comfortable so you can be happy within these relationships is key

A Career is one avenue, but to limit yourself to one avenue to fulfill your basic needs, well this makes no sense.

Example: If I build my own home ,grow my own food, hunt, etc..then work PART TIME for example because I didn't run up my expenses, then that may be all that is needed to have a fulfilling happy life. Others may take a different route, but there are plenty of routes to take.

Work isn't important
People are important
Life is short
Work IS important to me. People come and go. At the end of the day, love won't pay my bills.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Work IS important to me. People come and go. At the end of the day, love won't pay my bills.
Makes sense.

When you make work be the most important, even more important than people, then people will come and go in your life.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Oh-eve I'm extremely happy for you.I hope you continue this though process.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
When I was younger, a good relationship meant everything to me.

As I gotten older, I'm terrified of losing my job and having to start all over again with a new company. Finding employment after a certain age is definitely a challenge.

Can a good relationship survive financial turmoil? Most of the times no. Lack of money causes so much stress it leads to a lot of break ups.

A good relationship will leave you feeling emotionally satisfied. But a good career will ensure your basic needs of survival are met with a good retirement package.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

Can a good relationship survive financial turmoil? Most of the times no. Lack of money causes so much stress it leads to a lot of break ups..
If the relationship cannot survive financial turmoil, wouldn't you think that wasn't a good relationship?
at least that is not my definition of one

A Career is one avenue to ensure your future basic needs are met, yes

Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,325 times
Both.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
When you make work be the most important, even more important than people, then people will come and go in your life.
The point isn't that a person with comparable access to relationships and to career-success prioritizes the latter ahead of the former, and then finds unsurprisingly that his/her relationships have soured and failed.

Rather, the point is that work and career can be pursued according to a fairly straightforward and linear plan. Relationships can not. Work and career depend overwhelmingly on the individual in question. Relationships depend upon rapport between two individuals. Rarely do we stumble serendipitously into a rewarding career; instead we have to groom ourselves and climb incrementally. But incremental climb is useless in pursuit of relationships; on the contrary, one goes through an extensive bout of frustration and nothingness, only to suddenly find a relationship-opportunity.

Few people would trade a beloved spouse for a stellar career. But this isn't the question! The question is, if we start from nothing, and build upwards, which should we pursue, and how accordingly should we structure our lives: towards furthering our careers, or trying to start a relationship?

In fact, the crux of my recent jeremiads pillorying the modern West, is that in former times, one could focus on the career-furthering, and the search for a relationship would take care of itself. In the present time, this no longer works. So now we do have to make a choice, and what a bitter choice it is!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
If the relationship cannot survive financial turmoil, wouldn't you think that wasn't a good relationship?
at least that is not my definition of one

This is something that confuses me. I understand that some people value their career over love - but I don't understand the reason being that sometimes relationships suck or relationships never work out. The question isn't which would you choose - a relationship or a good career - it's a GOOD career or a GOOD relationship. One could just as easily say that you could always get fired - but that wouldn't be a good career. So why do people talk about cheating, breaking up, etc. - when talking about a good relationship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships