Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:30 AM

881 posts, read 2,260,182 times

Advertisements

I would pick option A. When I first graduated college I took a job in a smaller city. The job itself was great but socially speaking I hated living there. And like usamathman when I finally moved to a better area I went on more dates in my first 3 months there than I did the 5 years I lived in the smaller city.

I don't regret taking the job because as a new grad you do what you gotta do but I wished I only stayed a year and moved on to a city that was better for young professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 04:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,469,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim192 View Post
Hi,

This is for females to respond because I think males don't think the same way about this as we do...

I have two job opportunities:
Job A: big city - Houston, LOTS of dating opportunities, job pays well, lots of traffic, things to do
Job B: smaller city - Corpus Chrisit, cushy job = about 75% of the work for the same job in above city, great outdoors, SCANT dating scene for what I am looking for (I don't want to elaborate, thanks).
Job C: smallest city - Boise, job similar to job A but long-term opportunities are better, no traffic, great outdoors, scant dating scene.

Problem: I want job B, but I am reallllllyyyy wanting to settle down! I think I'd be happier in a smaller city if I had a family, but right now, I'd rather be in the bigger city and meet a guy. Job B offers about 15% more in salary for less work.

I feel I am nearing the end of my prime dating years...so I want to find someone during this time before it gets harder. But I also don't want to end up living in a big city forever because his job is there - my career tends to pay more in rural areas and I'd probably have more opportunity in those areas career-wise.

Help-
Which have you put a higher priority on, work or men?

If you focus on getting a man then you go there and forget the job however, if your priority is to make yourself happy and not rely on someone else to provide you with that happiness you go for the job if that will help you make yourself happy.

Until one is happy and content with themselves they cannot provide that to someone else.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 AM

270 posts, read 283,914 times
I had to make the same decision not too long ago, but I am past the picket fence and family. I chose option C, and come here to whine about lack of dating opportunities. But if I'm really honest with myself, I hit the jackpot on the job, and have no regrets. Like you, I'm highly educated and highly paid, and live in the middle of nowhere, no traffic, very little stress, standard of living lower, but the pay is that of the big city I came from. Ultimately it's your choice, and I realize everyone is different. Good time to listen inward! Good luck.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 AM

366 posts, read 412,999 times
Why does he have to make as much as you or more?

I imagine the COL in the big city is much more expensive than the smaller cities, so make sure you take that into consideration when you're counting your six figures.

As for dating, unless you're looking for a super specific kink, like a large furry underground or something, I'd say you have just as much chance in the smaller cities. They're not exactly the boonies.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 AM

321 posts, read 294,431 times
A nice job in Boise would be a dream. Lovely place.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,814,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
Why does he have to make as much as you or more?
You're not going to get an answer to this that you like.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:04 AM

128 posts, read 107,025 times
so you would prefer a man over money?

a man over a nice house??

not I

Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
You're not going to get an answer to this that you like.
I'm just curious. Many dedicated professionals make less than 6 figures. At that level it has little to do with drive or work ethic and more to do with choice of profession.

I've got no skin in this game- I'm a woman so it's generally accepted that I'll make less than my spouse.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiannative91 View Post
so you would prefer a man over money?

a man over a nice house??

not I
Oh please, you prefer a man over safety and common sense.

She already said no matter what she's making a good income. What's a couple grand either way when you're making 6 figures?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM

957 posts, read 1,064,503 times
I could be making 20-50K more a year if I took jobs in Denver or NY, but snowboarding and hiking were more important to me. The dating scene sucks in Summit county, but I found a good one eventually and I suck at dating! I still make more than enough to own a house, save and enjoy life, so it doesn't matter.

I spent some time in CC, It seemed to have a pretty decent dating scene to me. There's plenty of young professionals there. South Texas is just a miserable place to be alive, It's dirt cheap to live there though.

I'm a little biased, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships