Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:33 PM

86 posts, read 72,974 times

Advertisements

Do online dating or hookup websites like eharmony, friendfinder, match etc... really work and do you feel it's odd that people use them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,403,989 times
They do work for some people. My son met a lovely woman through match- going on two years now. It is another way to meet people.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
They are super odd and pathetic. I was on them for 2-3 years.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,468,641 times
I think it's sound advice to use them in conjunction with the tried and true methods of going out and meeting people in your everyday and not soley relying on whatever proprietary automation a match making service can do for you.

It is when you start using them as your only method of finding others where things start to get "weird" and cause you problems in the long term

Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
If you think they're pathetic then you obviously won't think well of anyone else on there since they chose to use them....or are you just self-loathing?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,647,046 times
I've had paid memberships on Christian Mingle, Match, EHarmony, and Plenty of Fish. I've tried a couple other free sites as well. I'm not bad looking/keep in shape, have a good job, play guitar/music, not a drunk, etc..

I've had a tough time simply getting an e-mail response in my area. On Christian Mingle I did get a chance to meet some people. Generally this was through chat with them being on average 400 miles away. So little chance of getting together for a cup of coffee.

I am talking to a girl right now that I met on POF, but the young lady has some serious issues mentally as I've posted elsewhere. I doubt it will develop into that relationship I was looking for.

Oh well.. I think I've thrown in the towel on the online dating thing. I need to stop worrying about it and just get out there and meet some people somehow.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 PM

86 posts, read 72,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you think they're pathetic then you obviously won't think well of anyone else on there since they chose to use them....or are you just self-loathing?
Not at all, no judgement on my part, it was just a question.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 PM

37,669 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
Do online dating or hookup websites like eharmony, friendfinder, match etc... really work and do you feel it's odd that people use them?
Yes they work for many many people. The problem is that people often expect them to be always be more effective than traditional dating methods. OLD is certainly more convenient, and for those of us that don't have the time or inclination to use traditional methods, they are great. I used them with great success, for many years.

They are only considered odd or desperate by those people that never had any success with them.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 PM

479 posts, read 432,813 times
They are weird. I recently dated a guy I met in person... I did not meet him on a dating site. He's been active on the dating sites, and kept his profile up while we dated, which was not for long—over the course of a month, or so. This is a guy I thought "so not my type" for many reasons, some superficial, some not, and I was reluctant to go out with him, because of that. Anyway, after one date, I thought he's nice... funny, and I kinda like him. So we went out again... started talking on the phone... bla bla bla. Then, he decided I was not what he wanted in a girlfriend... (not that I was jumping at the bit to be anyone's girlfriend... I was simply not shutting myself off to a possibility of spending time with a man, which is something I'd done for years after exiting a horrible relationship). So, basically...the dude dumped me, even though I consider our relationship was not anything yet, except us getting to know each other.
ANYWAY... (I know. I know. Get to the point already, right?...).
So, I decide to put a profile on Ok Cupid after this. I go on one night, answer a barrage of questions... honestly, and with many explanations for my answers. Then, I do the "match % search" and the guy that just dumped me shows up as my #2 match at 91%.
I proceeded to disable my profile... I'm still trying to decide what to label as "pathetic" in this whole scenario...

Old 03-04-2015, 04:14 PM

957 posts, read 1,061,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
No.

I know plenty of people that are very good with women/men in real life that use them constantly, it's just another avenue to meet people. Gets you out of your social circle, which is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships