Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,446,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
But that is exactly the point. If someone's social life does not consist of going to parties/bars/clubs etc., and they really have no desire to cut back on their other normal activities just to be more "social" just for the reason of meeting someone - well THAT seems more "forced" to me. OLD does work, quite well, for whole lot of people. I am one, and I know far too many others, to say that it doesn't work.
I agree with everything you said. I've moved around a lot in my life, and moving to a new location I didn't know anyone. I work crazy rotating shifts. I've never been interested in bars or nightclubs. I do enjoy seeing live music, and I did have success with when I was younger as I'd go out three or four nights a week to see bands. Cold approaches have never worked out very well for me. It's just not something I like doing. With OLD, I know something about that person already and more often than not, the person on the other end is actually interested in a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That would make online the #1 place to meet people, however, Match (Chadwick Martin Bailey 2010), Eharmony (Harris Interactive 2009), Pew, and Stanford all found numbers below 20%. The strange thing is the study you are referencing was funded by EHarmony (No conflict there) and either only included people between 30-50 or found the users were 30-50.

Well 30-50 is the demographic such studies should be looking at. 20 yos are in school and are going out all the time so they're not going to be using OLD much. They're in school and at parties/bars/clubs etc.

Quote:
What's your point? Most people meet people just by living their lives.

Maybe the girls online didn't realize you were poor. Maybe you dressed nicer when you knew you were going to meet a girl vs not dressing nice when you went out. Maybe you just had a bunch of coffee dates. Maybe the girls were introverts. Maybe you weren't very social. Maybe you are only attractive to a select type of girl. Maybe you only like a select type of girl.
I don't think most people meet people just by living their lives in reality. If it is most people, it is by a small majority. Most people work at it. Especially guys.

And no to all the above reasons. The OLD and real life people know about what I earn; everyone knows I earn little once I talk about what my profession is. I don't really dress different for dates than I do for going out. I don't have a separate wardrobe. I always avoided coffee dates if I could. I'm talking about dating and having relationships. I tend not to date introverts. I went out and was social (that doesn't mean single women were there in my age range, they generally weren't) and I like a broad spectrum of types of women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I agree with everything you said. I've moved around a lot in my life, and moving to a new location I didn't know anyone. I work crazy rotating shifts. I've never been interested in bars or nightclubs. I do enjoy seeing live music, and I did have success with when I was younger as I'd go out three or four nights a week to see bands. Cold approaches have never worked out very well for me. It's just not something I like doing. With OLD, I know something about that person already and more often than not, the person on the other end is actually interested in a relationship.
This.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:42 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well 30-50 is the demographic such studies should be looking at. 20 yos are in school and are going out all the time so they're not going to be using OLD much. They're in school and at parties/bars/clubs etc.
That was exactly my point! However, I disagree that 30-50 is the most or only relevant population. The average age of first marriage is 26-28, so the teens and 20's are incredibly important population groups to study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't think most people meet people just by living their lives in reality. If it is most people, it is by a small majority. Most people work at it. Especially guys.

And no to all the above reasons. The OLD and real life people know about what I earn; everyone knows I earn little once I talk about what my profession is. I don't really dress different for dates than I do for going out. I don't have a separate wardrobe. I always avoided coffee dates if I could. I'm talking about dating and having relationships. I tend not to date introverts. I went out and was social (that doesn't mean single women were there in my age range, they generally weren't) and I like a broad spectrum of types of women.

This.
I posted the data up thread. Most people meet their SO through their social network. OLD accounted for 3-13% depending on if you were married or living together and if you were a man or woman.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I posted the data up thread. Most people meet their SO through their social network. OLD accounted for 3-13% depending on if you were married or living together and if you were a man or woman.

You said through living their everyday lives. Now you're saying their social network. Those aren't synonymous.

I've met people through my social network before. It's never been on the course of living my everyday life.

You're also separating OLD from social networks. Another mistake. I, and many people I know, have created and our expanded our social networks from OLD. My best friend was someone I met from OLD. A huge percentage of my friends were people I met as friends of people I met dating on OLD. They are my social network, but they wouldn't have existed w/o OLD.

But stats like 11% of people have used OLD are really irrelevant, because that includes people not looking. 38% according to one link you posted of single and looking people have used them. That's the key.

People not looking are irrelevant. They've been removed from the pool.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
Do online dating or hookup websites like eharmony, friendfinder, match etc... really work and do you feel it's odd that people use them?
Ah yes. Another thread designed to shame people for resorting to online dating to meet people. Why is it that some people feel the need to mock others for how they choose to meet someone? Do people feel a certain sense of superiority because they met their partner through friends instead of on Match? If someone tells me they met someone they like, I don't really care how they met. I'm just happy for them. There's nothing pathetic in using online dating sites. This is not the 1990s where people were embarrassed to admit they signed up to a dating site. But I will tell you what's pathetic. It's mocking the people who dare to try such an approach. Again, why do you care if someone else met their significant other on Match or eHarmony? It's not a reflection on the person or their dating skills. It's just an indicator of how hard it is for some people to find good dating prospects. As for the value of online dating, it's like any tool. What you get out of it depends a lot on how you use it. If you post a lame profile and no one shows interest or if you message people who've made it clear that you're not what they're looking for, then it's not the fault of Match that you come up empty. I know people who've gotten married to people they met online. And then I know people who've never even had a date with someone from a dating site. So there's no rule about whether it works or not. Asking whether online dating works is like asking whether joining a book club or works or whether volunteering works. The answer is that it depends on who you are, the group you join, and what you do from there.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,075,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Who told you that? Lol. People were usually introduced through family friends or met at socials, like dances and stuff.
Yes but originally you would know the person for a long time and romance would develop naturally. You didn't just ask somebody out when you first met them.

Quote:
You keep saying that it isn't organic to date someone you just met, but that's how people have done it for a long time.
Not THAT long, though. Maybe the past 100 years. Back in the middle ages -- assuming you weren't a wealthy landowner -- your dating pool would be the people you knew in daily life, and you would just gradually get closer over a long period of time. This is more like "hookups" and is the normal way that people started relationships before the invention of things like the automobile and the telephone.

Quote:
You don't have to do it that way, but stop getting it twisted and telling other people they are doing it wrong. It's perfectly organic to meet someone, be attracted to them, and begin a courtship.
I'm not saying you're doing something morally wrong necessarily, just that it isn't the natural way of doing it and certainly not something I feel comfortable with doing.

There are two main methods of meeting romantic partners: dating strangers and letting it happen organically with people you know. I prefer the latter method.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,075,503 times
Quote:
All you do is say "Hey, we should hang out sometime let me grab your number", "My friends and I are going to X,Y,Z, you should come", "We're going to an after party in about an hr, want to join?" Of course, you have to create interest first.
Yeah but that's not really an organic method. If you were already friends, and you're asking for a platonic meeting, yes.

Quote:
You really wait years before having sex with people?? I can see waiting a few weeks or maybe even a month, but if nothing is developing in that time frame then I doubt anything is going to develop.
I've never had sex at all. But I would want it to happen with someone who is a close friend, yes. I want it to be meaningful.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yes but originally you would know the person for a long time and romance would develop naturally. You didn't just ask somebody out when you first met them.

I have no idea where you get that. People met once and the guy asked them out. That was the norm in the 50s and 60s too. My dad met my mom at a military social event/dance and asked her out, that was quite common.

Quote:
Not THAT long, though. Maybe the past 100 years. Back in the middle ages -- assuming you weren't a wealthy landowner -- your dating pool would be the people you knew in daily life, and you would just gradually get closer over a long period of time. This is more like "hookups" and is the normal way that people started relationships before the invention of things like the automobile and the telephone.
Who gives a crap how things happened when we were an agrarian society? How is that at all relevant? That society is long gone.

Quote:
There are two main methods of meeting romantic partners: dating strangers and letting it happen organically with people you know. I prefer the latter method.
Well, I don't agree with that. The person isn't a stranger once you're a date or two in, that's when you decide if you want to keep hanging out with them.

Oh, how is that latter method that you prefer working for you? Well?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,283,456 times
Quote:

I'm not saying you're doing something morally wrong necessarily, just that it isn't the natural way of doing it and certainly not something I feel comfortable with doing.

It's all dependent on class and culture, but there are plenty of historical examples of quick courtships. Cultures that practice arranged marriages, for example--the couple often had never met prior to their wedding day. People even a century ago didn't have the luxury of a lengthy courtship. Shorter lifespans meant that they needed to pairbond quickly to produce a number of offspring. Also remember that, in certain societies, friendships between men and women were almost nonexistent--men spent time with men, women spent time with women, and mixed company was reserved for courtship and coupling.

If it feels unnatural to you, that's fine, but you are incorrect about it being unnatural as a whole.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times
Online dating should be a treated as a supplement, not a primary method of meeting people. You start by using the traditional approach. Let friends, family, coworkers, etc. introduce you to people. The problem for many people, however, is that becomes very limited. Maybe you keep running into the same people and you didn't really hit it off with any of them. Online dating lets you expand the pool. Now you get to see profiles of people who you might not otherwise encounter in your everyday life. The traditional approach may have worked long before the internet came along, but it did require a certain amount of luck. Being in the right place at the right time as someone else. If that approach worked for everyone, online dating wouldn't be as popular as it is now or currently growing in popularity. The mistake that too many people make is in thinking online dating comes with some kind of guarantee. People sign up and think they're going to meet Mr. or Mrs. Right in a month and when they don't or when a person they meet from there ends up being a jerk or a flake, they blame the website, as if Match has control over the character of its members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships