Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,930,096 times

Advertisements

For the most part, there is a reason these people resort to on line dating as opposed to meeting people in person. Yes for some they are very busy and this is an efficient way to increase the odds of meeting some one, but that is for SOME.

I know of a few people who have used them and they have mostly horror stories, people using old pics or pics of someone else. People lie, married people use them for hookups...

My buddy joined matchmaker as he was too busy to meet people and hated bars.
1rst girl looked nothing like her sexy petite pics, she was grossly obese...her excuse..."you wouldn't have agreed to meet me if you saw my real pics"...wtf
2nd girl was married and looking for sex...she used old pics and was not attractive and was 20 lbs heavier in real life...
3rd girl was "the one"...until he found out she had about $40,000 in debt, 3 kids that she failed to mention, in her ex's custody but still, and her nurse practicioners job turned out to be mostly a candy girl type job, basically a nurses assistant, and all that college she mentioned was bull****
4th girl was using meth
5th girl was an alcoholic and had no license, a fact he learned when she was pulled over driving him home and arrested
6th girl was bi-polar was slashed his tires after 1rst date cuz he didn't go down on her

I missed a few...I have similar stories from other friends, including female friends who used matchmaker and pof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
For the most part, there is a reason these people resort to on line dating as opposed to meeting people in person. Yes for some they are very busy and this is an efficient way to increase the odds of meeting some one, but that is for SOME.

I know of a few people who have used them and they have mostly horror stories, people using old pics or pics of someone else. People lie, married people use them for hookups...

My buddy joined matchmaker as he was too busy to meet people and hated bars.
1rst girl looked nothing like her sexy petite pics, she was grossly obese...her excuse..."you wouldn't have agreed to meet me if you saw my real pics"...wtf
2nd girl was married and looking for sex...she used old pics and was not attractive and was 20 lbs heavier in real life...
3rd girl was "the one"...until he found out she had about $40,000 in debt, 3 kids that she failed to mention, in her ex's custody but still, and her nurse practicioners job turned out to be mostly a candy girl type job, basically a nurses assistant, and all that college she mentioned was bull****
4th girl was using meth
5th girl was an alcoholic and had no license, a fact he learned when she was pulled over driving him home and arrested
6th girl was bi-polar was slashed his tires after 1rst date cuz he didn't go down on her

I missed a few...I have similar stories from other friends, including female friends who used matchmaker and pof
Not that I favor OLD or want to come across as a cheerleader, but there is some evidence that OLD is... either more successful or the relationships are more successful (likely the latter thanks to algorithms). It heavily depends on the type of site you use. POF is akin to dumpster diving while OKC is more suitable for short term relationships, Tinder is primarily for hookups, yet Eharmony is either geared toward marriage or attracts the marriage minded people.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 AM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not that I favor OLD or want to come across as a cheerleader, but there is some evidence that OLD is... either more successful or the relationships are more successful (likely the latter thanks to algorithms). It heavily depends on the type of site you use. POF is akin to dumpster diving while OKC is more suitable for short term relationships, Tinder is primarily for hookups, yet Eharmony is either geared toward marriage or attracts the marriage minded people.
Yanno I hear that all the time here, but I met a previous boyfriend there (and he is a very successful local attorney) and my current BF there too.

So much for forum hype, eh?

Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,162,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yanno I hear that all the time here, but I met a previous boyfriend there (and he is a very successful local attorney) and my current BF there too.

And I met my husband -- a successful executive -- on POF. I did think the site design SUCKED when I used it, but I can safely say neither of us were in the Dumpster.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I didn't say exceptions don't exist.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
And I met my husband -- a successful executive -- on POF. I did think the site design SUCKED when I used it, but I can safely say neither of us were in the Dumpster.
And does that prove most of the people on there are a better or equal caliber than the other sites? You can meet great catches at ALT sex hookup sites, but that doesn't mean that is the place to go.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
And does that prove most of the people on there are a better or equal caliber than the other sites? You can meet great catches at ALT sex hookup sites, but that doesn't mean that is the place to go.
It proves it is not a "dumpster", at all.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:14 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,162,212 times
Quote:
And does that prove most of the people on there are a better or equal caliber than the other sites?
It refutes your sweeping generalization about "dumpster diving." There are good and bad people on all mainstream dating sites.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM

718 posts, read 616,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
If you meet the right person, then who cares how you met? I fail to see why it's less romantic to say you met on a dating site. What matters is that you met, not how.
Quote:
Exactly. So weird that people get hung up such things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have to admit I share similar thoughts. I would prefer to meet someone the old fashioned way, and have a nice story to tell of how we met. As others have said though, it doesn't really matter in the end as long as you meet that special someone. The older you get, the harder it becomes to meet people in the "traditional" way due to work, time, etc. and online is a great option. Subconsciously though, I would prefer to meet a woman the traditional way even though it shouldn't matter.

First of all, I never said that it was of upmost importance and I am "hung up" on meeting someone the old fashioned way. I said it might be more romantic, but where you got "hung up" from my post is beyond me. I simply said that I would prefer to meet someone that way. I'm nearly 19, so I'm not particularly looking to use dating sites, because I'm still at a point where I'm exposed to tons of people with lots of free time. I still have a couple of years before I resort to Match.com. It would be great to meet someone within those years.

But if in 10-15 years I don't meet someone, sure I'll go on a dating site. I'm not adverse to the idea. I just have a preference. Good on you that you don't care how you meet someone. Clap clap.

But I do care. It's not do or die, but I have a preference.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:32 PM

914 posts, read 767,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
First of all, I never said that it was of upmost importance and I am "hung up" on meeting someone the old fashioned way. I said it might be more romantic, but where you got "hung up" from my post is beyond me. I simply said that I would prefer to meet someone that way. I'm nearly 19, so I'm not particularly looking to use dating sites, because I'm still at a point where I'm exposed to tons of people with lots of free time. I still have a couple of years before I resort to Match.com. It would be great to meet someone within those years.

But if in 10-15 years I don't meet someone, sure I'll go on a dating site. I'm not adverse to the idea. I just have a preference. Good on you that you don't care how you meet someone. Clap clap.

But I do care. It's not do or die, but I have a preference.
This preference makes sense to me as well, you are at a perfect age to go about dating in a "tradtional" way. Tons of prospects, tons of time and college is a blast, an added bonus! Happy "old school" dating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships