Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
Are most people looking for something long term online?
I certainly was, as were all of the men I dated. I stated in my profile exactly what I was interested on, and what I was not. That worked quite well for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
I think online dating is geared for people who are very special.
LOL. It actually works best, in my experience, for people that are rather "normal".

But hey, I consider myself kinda special too, so....

Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,446,603 times
Considering there are a lot of people that are successful with OLD, myself included as well as other posters on CD, no I don't think they are odd. It's simply another way to meet people. I actually like initially making contact with people that have similar interests that I do, something that takes a while to find out when dating the old-fashioned way. One frequent complaint I hear is about they have horrible dates with OLD. In my experience, I had more bad experiences with people setting me up than OLD. So as is always the case, everyone's experiences will differ.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Just out of curiosity, how was Catholic Match? I am Catholic and would prefer to date a Catholic or any Christian. I briefly tried Match earlier this year, and had a good experience, but I noticed that many who said they were Christian were more so just nominally Christian. Not that I am looking for someone who goes to Mass/Church everyday, but it would be cool to meet someone who is active in their faith. I've heard mixed reviews for Christian Mingle. Was just curious of your experience with Catholic Match.
I met a few great guys but none became more than friends. One guy would have perfect if he was older and lived near me but we met as friends. Too many delusional men, like men in their 50's and up only wanting much younger (and complaining in the forums they can't find anyone). Quite a few devout Catholics but a few who shouldn't have been dating (the site states if a person is divorced without an annulment they shouldn't be listed as seeking romance). One guy was a creep and admitted he hit his ex and saw nothing nothing wrong with doing so because it was her fault he got mad. So for me it was a failure but may have been successful if I was younger. However at least most of the men were childless and not divorced.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM

86 posts, read 72,931 times
Thanks for the replies guys. It's just hard to sift through the crap, and to know which sites yield the best results.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,996,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. It's just hard to sift through the crap, and to know which sites yield the best results.
That is, indeed, the toughest part about OLD. You really have to wade through a lot of garbage to get to the good stuff.

I used it though, and I met some great people. I met all of my long term boyfriends and my husband through online dating. My sister has met most of her boyfriends that way as well, even though she's always been good at meeting people in person.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:45 PM

691 posts, read 1,428,155 times
It depends what you're using it for. I mean, if you're on there begging women to have sex with you, or sending them pictures of your penis, then yeah, thats pretty pathetic. If you're on there to meet new people with no expectations, then no its not pathetic.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,893,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I met a few great guys but none became more than friends. One guy would have perfect if he was older and lived near me but we met as friends. Too many delusional men, like men in their 50's and up only wanting much younger (and complaining in the forums they can't find anyone). Quite a few devout Catholics but a few who shouldn't have been dating (the site states if a person is divorced without an annulment they shouldn't be listed as seeking romance). One guy was a creep and admitted he hit his ex and saw nothing nothing wrong with doing so because it was her fault he got mad. So for me it was a failure but may have been successful if I was younger. However at least most of the men were childless and not divorced.
Thanks. Seems similar to a lot other dating sites.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Basically I think OLD is a more concentrated version of what you experience in "real life."

ALL it is additional way to meet people, nothing more, nothing less.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Thanks. Seems similar to a lot other dating sites.
Pretty much except there were more people looking for marriage and less divorced and/or single parents. A few but not like the other sites. However lots more men who were older and wouldn't leave me alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships