Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:13 PM

780 posts, read 678,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Ha Ha , this thread reminds me of when I was a young teen. I was learning to roller skate at one of the local indoor rinks. I kept falling and had a couple of girls offer to help me. I had one on each arm for an hour. I never did learn to skate that summer

Those were the days LOL
Who needs to learn when you have two girls, one on each arm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Being taught something by a person who is a woman is being domesticated and submissive?

Huh, who knew I should have expressed my dominance over my female professors and bosses.
I know Doctor Clean need a Doctor

Old 04-15-2015, 02:20 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Being taught something by a person who is a woman is being domesticated and submissive?

Huh, who knew I should have expressed my dominance over my female professors and bosses.
sophistry is the black art of deception of truth

Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Teaching boyfriend a sport: manly or not?
I would never ridicule or frown upon anyone trying to learn anything.

[the gender of the teacher is irrelevant]

Old 04-15-2015, 03:11 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

i agree, but then again there are some learning experiences that are of no interest to me, despite how others may feel. i may have been mistaken that the chap was talked into. hope so.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:16 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

He probably has other areas where he is good at.

However, if a guy tells me he is a fast motorcycle rider and but when we go riding and I smoke him easily, that's kinda lame.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:27 PM

309 posts, read 258,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
He probably has other areas where he is good at.

However, if a guy tells me he is a fast motorcycle rider and but when we go riding and I smoke him easily, that's kinda lame.
Yes, he is good at many other things. And this is not something I would push him into. He is not a man to be pushed into anything, and I would not make my boyfriend do something he is uncomfortable doing unless it is absolutely necessary. Basically, I wanted to know what other people think about this, because I was overly concerned about how other people would view him (and me). Now I see I should not even have been concerned. It was a stupid question altogether.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:30 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Yes, he is good at many other things. And this is not something I would push him into. He is not a man to be pushed into anything, and I would not make my boyfriend do something he is uncomfortable doing unless it is absolutely necessary. Basically, I wanted to know what other people think about this, because I was overly concerned about how other people would view him (and me). Now I see I should not even have been concerned. It was a stupid question altogether.
Who cares about other people?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM

698 posts, read 588,075 times
Quote:
Imagine a situation: you go to a skating rink (or a bike trail or an alpine skiing resort) and you see a couple where the woman is very proficient at the particular sport, but the man is a total novice, and the woman is trying to teach the man: dragging him by the hand around the skating rink, helping him keep his balance while getting on the bike etc. It is also pretty clear the woman is his girlfriend, not his paid instructor. Would this look like a normal situation to you, or would the man look "not manly enough" for having his girlfriend teach him a sport?
If you are a man that is worried about "looking manly" than you aren't manly at all. Macho posturing is for little boys and insecure adults.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
just another example of a man being domesticated.
One of the best things to ever happen to me was that I was "domesticated" by my wife.

Quote:
female dominance over her toy mule bread earner.
Yeah, and the rewards of servitude are too great to pass up! Interestingly enough, my wife recently told me (in a playful manner) that I was just a penis and a paycheck, so my preferences didn't matter. Some men would find that playful banter humiliating. I personally do not mind because it's all in good fun, and am secure enough to let my wife have her fun, too.

Quote:
it's much more prevalent and takes other forms and methods of men being mere utility for his spouse.
the advent of the man cave in our lives and lexicon suggest similar lifestyle of man's best friend, that is living in a dog house.
I'm not sure what kind of mancave you've experienced, but to me a mancave has always been a good thing. That is, a part of the house he gets to set up the way he wants with things he likes. Sports stuff, hunting trophies, etc.

Quote:
there are many men stuck in horrible marital arrangements, and no doubt both spouses suffer from it. question is, could freedom really be worse than being hostage to an over bearing spouse???

to each his own, i got mine
Being "domesticated" and even deferring to one's wife does not mean it's a horrible marital arrangement. I try to defer more often than not because I try to measure the extent to which I am willing to disagree with her on some issues. When I take the time to think about it, it's usually not too many issues that warrant disagreement. Plus she defers on a lot of things, too. It balances out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships