Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Now, that does strike me as a bit off. To be honest, I would be a bit creeped out if someone found my young age to be a turn on.
Why? Youth is attractive to many. Older guys chasing younger women are probably not, for the most part, chasing after the younger females' personalities. Or did you think I meant underage?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Why? Youth is attractive to many. Older guys chasing younger women are probably not, for the most part, chasing after the younger females' personalities. Or did you think I meant underage?
It doesn't matter if you mean underage or not. Someone being "turned on" by my age is creepy. What's going to happen in 10 years? Are they not going to be turned on by me any more because I'm not young?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
It happens.

But while youth has proven to be a universal major factor for attraction, it's not the ONLY one. Just as women aren't solely attracted to provider potential, although it is a major factor.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It happens.

But while youth has proven to be a universal major factor for attraction, it's not the ONLY one. Just as women aren't solely attracted to provider potential, although it is a major factor.
I have a feeling that most men would be just as turned off by a woman telling them, "Your money really turns me on!" as most women would be by a man telling them, "Your age really turns me on!"

Old 04-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Of course.

But that doesn't mean that both things haven't always been sought out for mating purposes for millenia by the opposite sex. People not saying, "I'm most attracted to those with the highest chances of propagating the species, whether by increased fertility, or the means and wherewithal to ensure offspring surviving and thriving," doesn't make it any less a universal part of the overall attraction picture. This has been well-documented since Darwin, and recognized even earlier. These preferences have been found in every culture that's been studied, although exactly what constitutes "youth/beauty (indicators of fertility)," and "providership potential" obviously vary (though only slightly, really) culture to culture.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Of course.

But that doesn't mean that both things haven't always been sought out for mating purposes for millenia by the opposite sex. People not saying, "I'm most attracted to those with the highest chances of propagating the species, whether by increased fertility, or the means and wherewithal to ensure offspring surviving and thriving," doesn't make it any less a universal part of the overall attraction picture. This has been well-documented since Darwin, and recognized even earlier. These preferences have been found in every culture that's been studied, although exactly what constitutes "youth/beauty (indicators of fertility)," and "providership potential" obviously vary (though only slightly, really) culture to culture.

Well, lets not get carried away, there are many characteristics that are selected for in mating that in fact hinder an individual of species from surviving. It's a rather fascinating and muddled area of evolutionary biology (I've mostly studied it in certain damselfish species), of which some of the classics are bright and ornate plumage in certain bird species which actually hinder flying and predation avoidance.

But that is certainly another topic. Evolutionary biology doesn't fully point-> prospective mate is able to sire and nurture (if nurturing is part of nature of the species) the next generation -> they'll be more likely to be selected by the opposite sex for mating. It's far more complex than that.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM

581 posts, read 665,214 times
Personally, I have no respect for men (rich or not) who want younger women. When I was on an online dating site, I rejected ANY man who put in age preferences someone 10 years or younger. That's just me.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Of course. But it IS absolutely true that in humans (and a variety of mammals, in general), those factors by and far are the most universal and strongest aspects of attraction. Not the sole ones, obviously, as it's a big and complex picture, but incredibly powerful ones.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
Personally, I have no respect for men (rich or not) who want younger women. When I was on an online dating site, I rejected ANY man who put in age preferences someone 10 years or younger. That's just me.
Thing is, whether or not somebody verbalizes it, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't, in fact, prefer someone ten years (or whatever) younger, all other things being equal, given the choice. Not broadcasting it doesn't necessarily mean it's not the case.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:58 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where are these women? Ever woman I've known that has had kids (more than a few), they are on the edge of going insane after a couple of months home and biting at the bit to get back to their careers. They almost lose it not working. Even with the ones in careers where they don't earn overly much, they're more than happy taking a wash financially paying the infant child care costs of an expensive place like SF or Boston, just to get back to work and their careers back on track.
That's a funny observation. Most of the women I know who just had a kid prefer staying home than going back to their job. I always comment 'You must be happy going back to work to talk to adults' and they all rather stay home to raise their kids. I can see when the kids become old enough for elementary school but not when they are toddlers.

But I can see your point when it comes to very ambitious career women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships