Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 04:32 PM

191 posts, read 212,614 times

Advertisements

In my experience, which admittedly isn't a ton, I've known a couple very well off (well off, not rich) older men and of course they were attracted to younger women. That's pretty much a "duh."

However, what I noticed about both of them is they were both pretty naive about the intentions of the young women they were dating. The guys were so full of themselves they didn't see they were, in their cases, being used for money, etc. Not to say that older women never use others, or that all young women are users, but the writing on the wall with these people was glaringly obvious to everyone but these two guys.

One of these guys is nearing his late 50's and has two adult children from his marriage - he spent years paying their mother a significant amount of child support. Did he learn from that? Not at all because he's also the father of a toddler and back in the child support game, paying his previous, young GF a LOT of money in child support and she's now married to a guy her own age, late 20's. She promptly dumped the older guy when the younger one came along. She also doesn't make much at her clerical job so this idiot is now paying almost as much for one kid as he once was for two kids.

And yes, she was using him as she told everyone who'd listen that she had every intention of getting pregnant by this guy.

The other guy is also well off but a bit younger, spent many years thinking his money and looks made him deserving of every "hot" younger woman who came along. Dumped his first wife when she got "old," she was all of 38yo and very attractive IMO, and married his younger "other woman" who was about 25yo and had two young children - but she was young and "hot." Karma's a b*tch. Last year his hot second wife left him for a younger salesman who makes and has FAR less money than he does. However, she did come out very well in the divorce, despite having no kids with him. Not only did they not have kids, they also didn't have a prenup. Idiot.

Whenever I've known or heard about the wealthy older man dating the hot, much younger woman story, it almost always involves the older man losing his brains and all common sense over the fact younger women are willing to date him. A man in his late 50's fathering a kid he didn't want (she told him she "couldn't" get pregnant and he believed her -lol), the other guy so full of himself he trampled over anyone in the way of what he wanted.....it just all seems so desperate and foolish on the guy's part.

Before I get flamed or accused of being an old hag, or whatever....I'm not a younger woman, I'm nearing my mid 40's. I'm not bitter about younger women or not getting as much attention from men as I did 20 years ago. I've been married for many years too. Just commenting on what I've noticed.

Also, when my dad was still alive he had been dating a MUCH younger woman, 25+ years younger. My dad was not a rich man by any means but I know he was considered very attractive by many women and he didn't look his age. He was early 60's when he died and looked to be more of a 40 something.

Perhaps money's the difference in whether one holds onto their brains or not in these dating situations. My father used protection and wasn't bowled over by the fact this young woman was interested in him.

Last edited by Pugster43; 04-21-2015 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Grammar/spelling

Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it definitely goes both way, in fact I seem to end up with the "old farts" even when they are younger than me. My last ex was 45 when we met, me about 50. I love to walk, it's one of the reasons I moved to my city, because it's so walkable (which is doubly good because there is no place to park in the summers without paying). So we'd go out to dinner at a place 8 blocks away or so and he'd want to drive and me walk...to me it's stupid to spend 20 minutes circling for a parking spot and it's lovely here on summer evenings...he hated every second of it, he called my walks "forced death marches"
Red flag! Did he do that when you were dating, or engaged? And I agree, it's dumb to drive just 8 blocks, and walking is exhilirating!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM

31,132 posts, read 22,168,750 times
Many of the younger women that I know that start dating relatively older men, versus men their own age or younger, do so because they are tired of paying for the younger guys. I'm not sure if 20 something women are making more then 20 something guys but thats what it seems like.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,361 times
Because older man want younger females.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,142,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
This is known as confirmation bias. The primary demographic she deals with, are men that want to buy the attention of young women, so she concludes that all wealthy men are like this -- and you believe her.

Certainly, some men are like this, but so are some women. Not all wealthy men, nor all wealthy women. I know plenty of uber wealthy people, married to people their own age. Not everybody is out seeking the attention of a younger person to feed their ego.

I don't like dating women in their 20s or early 30s, because most of them aren't experienced enough in life to have much that is interesting to say (and most of them want to start families -- which isn't what I'm looking for).

I much prefer a women closer to my age. She has had interesting life experiences and can hold a conversation.

Sorry, but I reject your thesis.
So do I, but for a different reason.

I am the younger woman. I'm with him because of the sex. That's what I usually say when asked "how the hell did he get you?".

Actually, he is a great guy. I am so glad I took the chance and went on that first date with him.

I really only think about the age difference when I get crap from women his age. Some of the comments, just like some here, make me assume they are ex wives, of men his age.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:03 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,015,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
So do I, but for a different reason.

I am the younger woman. I'm with him because of the sex. That's what I usually say when asked "how the hell did he get you?".

Actually, he is a great guy. I am so glad I took the chance and went on that first date with him.

I really only think about the age difference when I get crap from women his age. Some of the comments, just like some here, make me assume they are ex wives, of men his age.
yayyy, i love to hear these experiences. i really don't know how my OP got twisted to suggest otherwise, but so want more of this stuff happening.

congrats for finding good lovin'

Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,142,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
Sydney, usually when a younger woman hooks up with an older man, it's usually for one of these three reasons:
1. she doesn't look like much
2. She has "daddy" issues
3. She's looking to be taken care of (read: golddigger).

In the natural course of things, younger women want men close to their own age.
That is the kind of crap I hear from the women who are my BF's age. It's like they think they "own" all the men their age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Maybe it used to be the natural course of things, but now a days young women are a lot more independent and aren't looking for marriage, kids and or a LTR. They want to be free to do as they please with being encumbered. Pretty,young, financially secure, successful woman who have and continue to have great and normal relationships with their fathers. You yourself ( by stereotyping these young woman ) are pretty much proving the point I was making in my previous post. You're stuck in a mind set that because it goes against your grain.. that these young women are flawed and have ulterior motives for their choices.
So true. You said that so much nicer than I probably would have!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:58 AM

51,012 posts, read 36,707,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Red flag! Did he do that when you were dating, or engaged? And I agree, it's dumb to drive just 8 blocks, and walking is exhilirating!
Dating, for 3 years...and the worst thing is he was in good shape, not overweight, went to the gym, etc, so I don't get it.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,206,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
yayyy, i love to hear these experiences. i really don't know how my OP got twisted to suggest otherwise, but so want more of this stuff happening.

congrats for finding good lovin'
You want more older men to get with young women? Why? What difference does it make to you? That's a strange thing to want...

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,015,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You want more older men to get with young women? Why? What difference does it make to you? That's a strange thing to want...
i would like to see the age-ism against dating older/younger go away, like mixed race couples, gay marriage, etc. diversity is good for finding love and companionship, to each his own. the hate against older men dating younger women is just one of the last social barriers and shaming patterns.

also, i do believe there is a natural pairing between older men and younger women. i'm sure you have noticed that a man and woman's social value are about 10-15 years apart?

many man find themselves much more comfortable with dating and relationships in their mid-30s whereas women have spend their 20s exploring their options. and, don't kid yourself, younger women have been attracted to men of wealth and status (usually older) since the dawn of time.

not so strange really then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.