Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to be in an open relationship and/or an in open marriage?
Yes (Male) 26 16.67%
No (Male) 49 31.41%
Yes (Female) 14 8.97%
No (Female) 67 42.95%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:31 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,811,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
No
I know someone who had parents had open marriage and he hate it.
Did he hate it because his parents were frequently bringing other people into their house? Or did he hate it for another reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,359,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
It appears that you and I view marriage differently; I view marriage as a romantic, sexual, and hopefully-long lasting close companionship. However, in my honest opinion, being in such a close companionship with another individual does not necessarily mean that one shouldn't have sex with other people as well during this time.

Your choice to live as you want, my choice to live as I want.
Personally what you do is your business but I wonder how many women will be available to you in the long term for an open marriage or relationship.

Being married also does not necessarily mean that one "should" have sex with other people as well during this time.
Hence the term "affair" and why it is so looked down upon by so many but again, I personally don't care what you do because your life does not affect me at all.

You asked a question, I answered said question and my answer for my life really should not be questioned by anyone but me.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:32 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,920,348 times
I don't know anyone who is polyamorous, only seen them on TV. Generally speaking, it seems to be a cover for sex addiction, unless it truly is for religious purposes. I find it VERY hard to believe anyone ever maintains multiple relationships for any sustained period of time. Seems like that sort of arrangement is destined to collapse under its own weight. Eventually someone in the relationships will have a change (large or small) that will mess things up.

Since our society is basically rooted in monogamy, I don't think most people have the social/emotional skills to make polygamy work. Essentially you're agreeing to consider the needs of multiple people instead of just one. Thats what I do for my immediate family, and that's a big responsibility. What if my SO has another SO and she does not necessarily have my best interests at heart? What then? I can hardly trust the woman I share a desk with at work, what makes anyone think I would want to trust another woman to share a man?

It seems to be something a lot of people speculate about these days, but I seriously doubt that 40 years from now we'll be seeing reports of polygamous relationships celebrating silver anniversaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yes
That's the spirit, tiger!

491 posts, read 403,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If I wanted to be in a open relationship I would not be married nor would I be committed to one person.

You do realize castration can limit, lower or stop your sex drive completely right?

Not just limit libido, but actually limit the ability to mount and sustain an erection...

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,325,413 times
No. That's all.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Your choice to live as you want, my choice to live as I want.
Completely agreed!

Quote:
Personally what you do is your business but I wonder how many women will be available to you in the long term for an open marriage or relationship.
Well, experience and time will tell, I suppose.

Quote:
Being married also does not necessarily mean that one "should" have sex with other people as well during this time.
Hence the term "affair" and why it is so looked down upon by so many but again, I personally don't care what you do because your life does not affect me at all.
Yes, I get that, and if you want to define marriage that way, then I am totally cool with it!

(For the record, though, the definition and meaning of marriage has changed over time.)

Quote:
You asked a question, I answered said question and my answer for my life really should not be questioned by anyone but me.
OK.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You do realize castration can limit, lower or stop your sex drive completely right?
Yes, of course; however, this is where hormone replacement therapy steps in.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetelle View Post
Not just limit libido, but actually limit the ability to mount and sustain an erection...
Hormone replacement therapy can help deal with this, though.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,202,139 times
I know a few people who are polyamorous and have had successful long term relationships. To each their own and if they are happy who cares. It's not about sex for these individuals, they truly ENJOY other people and having them in their lives.

I would consider an open relationship.. not an open marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships