Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:04 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
As to the original question of this thread, most of the older women I knew who discussed having kids definitely meant their own biological kids. It will definitely be harder to have kids at that age, but definitely not impossible either. I think the biggest issue is that there is just a higher risk of birth defects. We are likely talking about aged eggs from the female and aged testicles producing sperm on the male side. I know a few recent mid to late 30 something women who've had kids and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

A guy I know who is 40 just recently had his first kid with his wife. They both had some issues with past pregnancies. They have what appears to be a healthy boy. He said that he does feel that it would've been different had he had the kid at 30 vs 40. Difference in energy level, having to let go of freedom one had for decades of their adult life, etc..
Yeah, I recall a guy in his 50s, his last adult kid was out of the house...he had a plan to put in pool. That came to a screeching halt when he found out his early-50s wife was pregnant.

I guess menopause came late for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

Nope. Early 50s is average.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:14 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
No, not really.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosBall View Post
Hypothetical health child born to first time parents at age 42. The mother and father will near 60 while attending their child's high school plays, sports, bake sales etc. Most of the other parents will be in mid 40s; lots of parents will be in mid 30s. Then by the time the child finishes college and has children of own, the new grandparents would be pushing 70. Never too late, but late nonetheless.

For this reason, I'd think a late 30's to 40ish year old childless couple would want to adopt children already 5-8 years old (not babies).
Lol. I know lots of professionals who had their kids naturally in their mid to late 30s without goofy complications or other such nonsense.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
As a woman approaches and passes 38 she faces significantly elevated risks for several birth defects especially if it’s her first. Genetic and chromosomal defects become much much much more prevalent.

Northing against parents who raise their children with these issues but it’s highly advisable to avoid starting a new relationship and introducing these issues with children right away.
Why do people ALWAYS point out the WOMAN'S age as if men do not suffer the same age related reproductive issues?

The same risks apply to older men and the quality of their sperm. Men over age 40 have lower sperm counts, sperm that has reduced ability to reach, penetrate and fertilize the egg, Defective and mutated sperm. Older men have an increased risk of having children with dwarfism and other genetic/chromosomal defects.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 685,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why do people ALWAYS point out the WOMAN'S age as if men do not suffer the same age related reproductive issues?

The same risks apply to older men and the quality of their sperm. Men over age 40 have lower sperm counts, sperm that has reduced ability to reach, penetrate and fertilize the egg, Defective and mutated sperm. Older men have an increased risk of having children with dwarfism and other genetic/chromosomal defects.
Thank you!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It must be nice for all of you whose lives worked out exactly how you hoped and planned they would.

Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes before being so judgmental, or, just worry about how you're living your own lives.
Exactly. I completely agree with you. I'll be judged right now, but I never learn on here...

So my girlfriend hit 40 and decided she wanted kids. Now she's 43. She had a miscarriage in July. It may or may not happen for us, but I'm finally ok with not having them. Not ideal but it is what it is. That said, I'd be happy if she got pregnant. In our case, adopting isn't something we're thinking about yet. If we did, I would prefer an infant. Kids by the time they're 4-5 could have quite a bit of psychological damage from abusive parents or being in foster homes or whatever.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Sorry to hear about miscarriage.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
The OP may be asking about this in order to determine if the woman is someone he wants to date. In other words, this post MAY be more about whether a man wishes to start a family at an older age than about the woman conceiving naturally at an older age. A man who is in low 40's or even older may not wish to start a family at an older age. For example, if the woman is 39 and he's 45 when he meets her, it'll be a few years of dating before they get married, she would have the baby in low 40's and he'll be in his 50's by the time they have the baby. A man might not care to have babies and young children in his 50's. I know a couple that this happened to. They got married later in life. The husband expected to live the DINKS lifestyle, travel and enjoy romantic dinners and whatnot but...guess what? That isn't happening. Kids are a major financial decision. Be very careful having children just for the sake of having children. At an older age you need to think about the long term ramifications of raising children at an older age. Supporting them when you may be getting phased out of your current job. Taking on more debt when you need to think about retirement. Running around to baseball games on weekends when you'd rather be driving up to the quaint B&B along the river and hiking. Think carefully.
I am 34 (turning 35 Sept) and i decided a long time ago that i will not have kids. The mental, financial and emotional responsibility are too much for me. I enjoy making money and traveling. A lady can complement my lifestyle.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:09 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol. I know lots of professionals who had their kids naturally in their mid to late 30s without goofy complications or other such nonsense.
30s, I can buy into, but 40s...not so much. The risk apparently spikes drastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships